Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: XP's retirement will be hacker heaven


15 Aug 2013   #11

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

We're assuming that XP will still be useful for online access in a year. Hardware that can run the OS will be old, limited and web browsers will eventually be obsolete as new plugins and all that are made. Firefox is becoming a RAM and CPU hog. We're probably lucky there is still modern web browser support for the OS.

I use a second PC with XP to play older games, though I do go online with it if I need to download something direct to it as it's a hassle transferring files with a USB stick.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Aug 2013   #12

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Putting finances aside, I personally can't see why anyone is still running XP. Pretty much anything you "need" XP for is way outdated by now. You also have the decreased performance due to memory limitations - not everyone has/had XP 64.
IMO, Windows Live Photo Gallery works better in XP, than Windows 7 (and probably W8).

XP doesn't have Libraries, so it doesn't run amok.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2013   #13

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Putting finances aside, I personally can't see why anyone is still running XP. Pretty much anything you "need" XP for is way outdated by now. You also have the decreased performance due to memory limitations - not everyone has/had XP 64.
IMO, Windows Live Photo Gallery works better in XP, than Windows 7 (and probably W8).

XP doesn't have Libraries, so it doesn't run amok.
I don't use Windows Live Photo Gallery so I can't comment there but XPs photo downloading wizard and photo viewer were much better than Win 7's. I use the photo viewer in Office 2010 instead. To download photos from my camera card, I download them directly to the destination folder, then mass rename them using IrfanView.

I haven't had any problems with libraries.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Aug 2013   #14

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I don't use Windows Live Photo Gallery so I can't comment there but XPs photo downloading wizard and photo viewer were much better than Win 7's. I use the photo viewer in Office 2010 instead. To download photos from my camera card, I download them directly to the destination folder, then mass rename them using IrfanView.

I haven't had any problems with libraries.
Libraries are typical MS.
They are an OK idea, poorly implemented.

For me personally, Libraries offer no benefits over "Favorites", "Jump Lists", "Recent Places" or just navigating to the actual directory.

MS programs like WMP and WLPG automatically attempt to add EVERY Library folder into themselves and there is no way to stop them (WMC is the only exception).

The only way to prevent that from happening is to remove every folder from the Libraries, except for the one that you want to work on.

In XP you just add whatever folders you like into WLPG.
Since I only use it to tag items in one folder, it works much better in XP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2013   #15

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I don't use Windows Live Photo Gallery so I can't comment there but XPs photo downloading wizard and photo viewer were much better than Win 7's. I use the photo viewer in Office 2010 instead. To download photos from my camera card, I download them directly to the destination folder, then mass rename them using IrfanView.

I haven't had any problems with libraries.
Libraries are typical MS.
They are an OK idea, poorly implemented.

For me personally, Libraries offer no benefits over "Favorites", "Jump Lists", "Recent Places" or just navigating to the actual directory.

MS programs like WMP and WLPG automatically attempt to add EVERY Library folder into themselves and there is no way to stop them (WMC is the only exception).

The only way to prevent that from happening is to remove every folder from the Libraries, except for the one that you want to work on.

In XP you just add whatever folders you like into WLPG.
Since I only use it to tag items in one folder, it works much better in XP.
Admittedly, the only thing I use Libraries for are to duplicate the Start Menus links XP had that were replaced by the Library links in Win 7. For example, I just have the My Documents folder in the Documents Library so, to get to My Documents, I click on the Start Button, the Click on the Documents Library link. That essentially takes me directly to My Documents. Works like a charm.

I can see advantages to using Libraries as designed but, to do so, I would have had to rearrange massive amounts of the data I had already organized when it was on my XP machine before transferring it to my Win 7 machine and just didn't feel the time it would take to do so was justified (I'm too close to the grave already). When I start putting videos on my present machine, I will put each HDD that the videos will go onto into the Video library so I will have them all on one directory.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2013   #16

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Well for quickly viewing photos I just use Windows Photo Viewer. For anything else I use either Adobe bridge, Photoshop, or Adobe Lightroom. Didn't mess with Windows Live Photo Gallery.

But yes there were some apps in XP that were better but are now gone, scaled back, and/or changed. The way Microsoft probably sees it most users are using other suitable apps anyway so why bother.

However, even with those "better" apps, they still can't overcome the aging OS and it's increased vulnerabilities.

XP was great in it's day, but that day has passed. Time to move on.

My two cents.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2013   #17

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Well for quickly viewing photos I just use Windows Photo Viewer. For anything else I use either Adobe bridge, Photoshop, or Adobe Lightroom. Didn't mess with Windows Live Photo Gallery.

But yes there were some apps in XP that were better but are now gone, scaled back, and/or changed. The way Microsoft probably sees it most users are using other suitable apps anyway so why bother.

However, even with those "better" apps, they still can't overcome the aging OS and it's increased vulnerabilities.

XP was great in it's day, but that day has passed. Time to move on.

My two cents.
I agree; time to move on. There were only two apps in XP that were degraded in Win 7 that affected me and I found ways to deal with that. It's definitely not worth trying to stay with an outdated OS (no matter how good it was) just because of two apps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2013   #18

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I can see advantages to using Libraries as designed but, to do so, I would have had to rearrange massive amounts of the data I had already organized when it was on my XP machine before transferring it to my Win 7 machine and just didn't feel the time it would take to do so was justified ...
I made the exact same point on another thread (last year?).

If you are already organised, Libraries don't really add anything.

Personally I'd remove them from the Navigation pane, if there wasn't a risk of something weird happening.

I tried to do the same thing with the User Folder that keeps popping up and annoying me.
I followed a tutorial to get rid of that and the auto-expand feature broke on my Windows 7, so I had to undo the modification.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Well for quickly viewing photos I just use Windows Photo Viewer. For anything else I use either Adobe bridge, Photoshop, or Adobe Lightroom. Didn't mess with Windows Live Photo Gallery.
WLPG actually has a great tagging feature, which is all that I use it for.

For viewing pictures, I use IrfanView (you can also use it for sound and video files).
It also has some nice batch operation tools.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
But yes there were some apps in XP that were better but are now gone, scaled back, and/or changed. The way Microsoft probably sees it most users are using other suitable apps anyway so why bother.
I'm using the 2010 version of WLPG.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
However, even with those "better" apps, they still can't overcome the aging OS and it's increased vulnerabilities.
Create a VM and run a copy of it on Linux.

I run all of my old games on an XP VM, which means I can play them on Windows 7 or Linux Mint.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2013   #19

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
However, even with those "better" apps, they still can't overcome the aging OS and it's increased vulnerabilities.
Create a VM and run a copy of it on Linux.

I run all of my old games on an XP VM, which means I can play them on Windows 7 or Linux Mint.
Well for the average everyday user who can't spell VM, that's not an option, and thus doesn't solve the issue.

As for me, I've no reason to run XP. In fact, I haven't touched it since wiping it off my backup PC a year or so ago.

Again, the PC enthusiasts may find a use for it, but for the average Jane/Joe Blow, it's going to be more problematic than it's worth.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Aug 2013   #20

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I have 64-bit Windows 7 which can't run 16-bit applications. That means I need another OS to run old games like the first Max Payne. DOSbox can bypass some limitations but not all. Furthermore I had some unexplainable physics bugs in shadow Man playing under 7, yet the game works fine in XP..

As for running in a virtual machine, this also gives me a second PC to go online with in case my 7 PC has issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 XP's retirement will be hacker heaven




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: XP's retirement will be hacker heaven
Thread Forum
Unigine Heaven across 2 1080p monitors. PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Unigine Heaven 4 Benchmark scores Graphic Cards
Retirement Plan Chillout Room
Unigine Heaven/Nvidia 275.33 crashes Software
Hard Drive Heaven Hardware & Devices
post your heaven 2.1 benchmarks here... Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 Heaven General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33