Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: XP's retirement will be hacker heaven

13 Aug 2013   #1
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 
XP's retirement will be hacker heaven

Quote:
Cyber criminals will bank their Windows XP zero-day vulnerabilities until after Microsoft stops patching the aged operating system next April, a security expert argued today.

Jason Fossen, a trainer for SANS since 1998 and an expert on Microsoft security, said it's simply economics at work.
Source

A Guy


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Aug 2013   #2
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I'm amazed by the number of people on forums that are convinced that XP will still be safe after its EOL. The number rivals those who believe RAID is a secure backup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2013   #3
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there
these sorts of worries are absolutely pointless. If you want to keep using XP -- no problem at all - simply run it as a VM and DON'T CONNECT IT TO THE INTERNET. I'd assume that the XP machine is running legacy applications and Internet access can be provided for in other ways.

If your machine currently can only run XP then simply run it as a stand alone machine - you can share disks if you have to - but the XP machine doesn't need Internet access.

A lot of XP machines are also stand alone computers in places like LABS etc.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Aug 2013   #4
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

These worries are not pointless as most will not run it in a VM, and will continue to connect to the internet. These are "average" users, who likely don't even keep their systems updated. No one is sayin XP can't be used offline, but that's not how most home users are using them, or will continue to use them. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2013   #5
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there
these sorts of worries are absolutely pointless. If you want to keep using XP -- no problem at all - simply run it as a VM and DON'T CONNECT IT TO THE INTERNET. I'd assume that the XP machine is running legacy applications and Internet access can be provided for in other ways.

If your machine currently can only run XP then simply run it as a stand alone machine - you can share disks if you have to - but the XP machine doesn't need Internet access.

A lot of XP machines are also stand alone computers in places like LABS etc.

Cheers
jimbo
To quote Ronald Reagan, "There you go again!" Your examples are only limited scenarios where what you say is true. The fact is most home users will be connecting to the internet. All businesses other than possibly some small Mom & Pops have to connect to the internet for banking, contacting vendors, communicating with various branches, etc. yet there are a frightening number that have not upgraded yet. THAT has me seriously worried since my credit/debit cards would be subject to being compromised. I might start using cash for a while after March of next year.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2013   #6
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there
these sorts of worries are absolutely pointless. If you want to keep using XP -- no problem at all - simply run it as a VM and DON'T CONNECT IT TO THE INTERNET. I'd assume that the XP machine is running legacy applications and Internet access can be provided for in other ways.

If your machine currently can only run XP then simply run it as a stand alone machine - you can share disks if you have to - but the XP machine doesn't need Internet access.

A lot of XP machines are also stand alone computers in places like LABS etc.

Cheers
jimbo
To quote Ronald Reagan, "There you go again!" Your examples are only limited scenarios where what you say is true. The fact is most home users will be connecting to the internet. All businesses other than possibly some small Mom & Pops have to connect to the internet for banking, contacting vendors, communicating with various branches, etc. yet there are a frightening number that have not upgraded yet. THAT has me seriously worried since my credit/debit cards would be subject to being compromised. I might start using cash for a while after March of next year.
The major hospital I had my surgery in is still using Windows XP and so is the Surgeons office, and my own regular Doctor. Now these are possibly completely closed systems but there was internet and email access as the nurse was using it one night to email. A good adnin should be able to lock down the system but if the underlying OS is no longer secure????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2013   #7
Wenda

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (VM).
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I'm amazed by the number of people on forums that are convinced that XP will still be safe after its EOL. The number rivals those who believe RAID is a secure backup.

Mine will be, because after EOL it won't be going online again once I pull the last of the updates.

It'll work fine, and securely offline. As it does 98% of the time now.

Apart from the Win 7 laptop and this Win 8 one, none of my OSes are connected to the net very often.

Wenda.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2013   #8
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there
these sorts of worries are absolutely pointless. If you want to keep using XP -- no problem at all - simply run it as a VM and DON'T CONNECT IT TO THE INTERNET. I'd assume that the XP machine is running legacy applications and Internet access can be provided for in other ways.

If your machine currently can only run XP then simply run it as a stand alone machine - you can share disks if you have to - but the XP machine doesn't need Internet access.

A lot of XP machines are also stand alone computers in places like LABS etc.

Cheers
jimbo
To quote Ronald Reagan, "There you go again!" Your examples are only limited scenarios where what you say is true. The fact is most home users will be connecting to the internet. All businesses other than possibly some small Mom & Pops have to connect to the internet for banking, contacting vendors, communicating with various branches, etc. yet there are a frightening number that have not upgraded yet. THAT has me seriously worried since my credit/debit cards would be subject to being compromised. I might start using cash for a while after March of next year.
The major hospital I had my surgery in is still using Windows XP and so is the Surgeons office, and my own regular Doctor. Now these are possibly completely closed systems but there was internet and email access as the nurse was using it one night to email. A good adnin should be able to lock down the system but if the underlying OS is no longer secure????
Considering that a hospital has to interface with insurance companies, vendors, financial institutions, etc., I simply do not see how they can have a closed system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2013   #9
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I'm amazed by the number of people on forums that are convinced that XP will still be safe after its EOL. The number rivals those who believe RAID is a secure backup.

Mine will be, because after EOL it won't be going online again once I pull the last of the updates.

It'll work fine, and securely offline. As it does 98% of the time now.

Apart from the Win 7 laptop and this Win 8 one, none of my OSes are connected to the net very often.

Wenda.
Your scenario will be an exception to the majority.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2013   #10
sygnus21

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
These worries are not pointless as most will not run it in a VM, and will continue to connect to the internet. These are "average" users, who likely don't even keep their systems updated. No one is sayin XP can't be used offline, but that's not how most home users are using them, or will continue to use them. A Guy
Exactly.

Anyway if these people continue to use these machines to surf the web and get their e-mail, they WILL be vulnerable to attacks.

Putting finances aside, I personally can't see why anyone is still running XP. Pretty much anything you "need" XP for is way outdated by now. You also have the decreased performance due to memory limitations - not everyone has/had XP 64.

So yeah, aside from us geeks, the average PC users running XP are pretty much at risk. And for these people "taking the machine offline" is NOT an option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 XP's retirement will be hacker heaven




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Unigine Heaven across 2 1080p monitors.
Thought maybe this should really be in Graphics cards or Performance, but anywho. How about posting your Unigine Heaven Benchmark across 2 1080p monitors on Ultra, thought it might be interesting to see the scores.
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Retirement Plan
If you had purchased $1,000.00 of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now be worth $49.00. With Enron, you would have had $16.50 left of the original $1,000.00. With WorldCom, you would have had less than $5.00 left. If you had purchased $1,000 of Delta Air Lines stock, you would have...
Chillout Room
Unigine Heaven/Nvidia 275.33 crashes
I wanted to see how the system would benchmark with the new build, but have not been able to finish one. The first time, running in full screen, it crashed a portion of the way through, requiring a forced reboot. On the second and third attempts, I disabled full screen, so that I could monitor...
Software
Hard Drive Heaven
It appears that I have one more drive headed for a long rest. When I started hearing some clicks, I used a stethoscope to locate which drive was croaking, and I was somewhat surprised by what I heard. In addition to the clicking, I could hear the drive revving up like a race car, only to...
Hardware & Devices
post your heaven 2.1 benchmarks here...
hi everyone i could not find a post anywhere purely for heaven benchmark 2.1 score till now!!! so i started my own.. :P this is my score
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 Heaven
So Windows 7 is finally coming. Late October is the time when we the users experience Christmas and thank God! I can't stand all these confirmation dialogs. Too much clutter for the system plus Vista itself is slow. I could do way more in XP. Too many unwanted files in Vista, no room to breathe. A...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App