Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Fully functional trojanized FileZilla client steals FTP logins

30 Jan 2014   #1

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 
Fully functional trojanized FileZilla client steals FTP logins

Quote:
Trojanized versions of the hugely popular FileZilla FTP client are being offered to unsuspecting users via hacked websites with fake content.

"Malware installer GUI is almost identical to the official version. The only slight difference is version of NullSoft installer where malware uses 2.46.3-Unicode and the official installer uses v2.45-Unicode. All other elements like texts, buttons, icons and images are the same," Avast researchers warn.

"The installed malware FTP client looks like the official version and it is fully functional! You can’t find any suspicious behavior, entries in the system registry, communication or changes in application GUI."
Source

A Guy

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jan 2014   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

This is why I always insist on getting software, any software, from the original source when possible.

There are unfortunate cases where the original source(s) may be gone, due simply to the flow of time or what have you, but if you have access to the original source where the devs/publishers are distributing the software personally then that is always the safest place to go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2014   #3
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
This is why I always insist on getting software, any software, from the original source when possible.

There are unfortunate cases where the original source(s) may be gone, due simply to the flow of time or what have you, but if you have access to the original source where the devs/publishers are distributing the software personally then that is always the safest place to go.
I sooo agree!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Jan 2014   #4

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
This is why I always insist on getting software, any software, from the original source when possible.

There are unfortunate cases where the original source(s) may be gone, due simply to the flow of time or what have you, but if you have access to the original source where the devs/publishers are distributing the software personally then that is always the safest place to go.
i agree with this one for sure. Ive used those file sharing programs etc in the past and have had issues come up. So, I just dont even bother getting involved with them because they can be nothing but trouble with a capital C.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2014   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
[
i agree with this one for sure. Ive used those file sharing programs etc in the past and have had issues come up. So, I just dont even bother getting involved with them because they can be nothing but trouble with a capital C.
Capital C?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2014   #6
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote:
To avoid being saddled with a malicious FileZilla version, users are advised to download it only from the software's official website or from well-reputed download sites, and to avoid any unsolicited download offers.

It should go without saying that this advice is valid for any and every other software / app download.
As the article states at the bottom. I've started running anything I download through VirusTotal too.




Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
i agree with this one for sure. Ive used those file sharing programs etc in the past and have had issues come up. So, I just dont even bother getting involved with them because they can be nothing but trouble with a capital C.
Capital C?
I thing C is a Klingon character for capitol "T".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2014   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Windows XP SP3, Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Quote:
To avoid being saddled with a malicious FileZilla version, users are advised to download it only from the software's official website or from well-reputed download sites, and to avoid any unsolicited download offers.

It should go without saying that this advice is valid for any and every other software / app download.
As the article states at the bottom. I've started running anything I download through VirusTotal too.
The latest version of Process Explorer now includes a "submit process to VirusTotal" function.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Fully functional trojanized FileZilla client steals FTP logins




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Fully functional trojanized FileZilla client steals FTP logins
Thread Forum
Filezilla Server, FTP client issues Network & Sharing
Solved HP Toolbox not fully functional? Software
How to check if my DVD drive is fully functional Hardware & Devices
Win 7 fully functional if I install before Oct. 22nd? Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33