Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Twitter starts rolling out HTTPS by default - good news for security a


20 Feb 2014   #1
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 
Twitter starts rolling out HTTPS by default - good news for security a

Quote:
In a step which will be welcomed by its security-conscious users, Twitter has announced that it is beginning to turn on HTTPS by default.
Why is this important? Just ask Ashton Kutcher.
More


My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2014   #2
ThrashZone

Win-7 Home Prem 64-bit 7601 Free SP1
 
 

Pretty silly people don't notice a http instead of https address and still use the service
Bad news is this site uses http
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2014   #3
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Most site I see don't use SSL encryption until you, say, add personal info to place an order or a shipping addy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2014   #4
ThrashZone

Win-7 Home Prem 64-bit 7601 Free SP1
 
 

Yea it's usually only an issue if using a public network,
Free wifi always comes with an extra twist
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2014   #5
lehnerus2000

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Pretty silly people don't notice a http instead of https address and still use the service
That is why I hate the (relatively) new default "trim the protocol" setting in FF.

For those who are interested, to get the protocol information back (in FF):
  • Type "about:config" in the Address bar (no quotes)
  • Click the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button
  • Type "trim" into the Search bar (no quotes)
  • Double click on "browser.urlbar.trimURLs" to toggle the value from "True" to "False"
  • Close the "about:config" tab
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2014   #6
King Arthur

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Pretty silly people don't notice a http instead of https address and still use the service
That is why I hate the (relatively) new default "trim the protocol" setting in FF.

For those who are interested, to get the protocol information back (in FF):
  • Type "about:config" in the Address bar (no quotes)
  • Click the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button
  • Type "trim" into the Search bar (no quotes)
  • Double click on "browser.urlbar.trimURLs" to toggle the value from "True" to "False"
  • Close the "about:config" tab
It's even worse in Chromium (and Chromium-derived browsers like Google Chrome and Opera) where the protocol is permanently hidden. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure Chromium started this whole mess of hiding the protocol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2014   #7
lehnerus2000

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
It's even worse in Chromium (and Chromium-derived browsers like Google Chrome and Opera) where the protocol is permanently hidden. Incidentally, I'm pretty sure Chromium started this whole mess of hiding the protocol.
That wouldn't surprise me.


Another reason to avoid Chrome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2014   #8
ThrashZone

Win-7 Home Prem 64-bit 7601 Free SP1
 
 

It's not much of a surprise only Google wants tracking rights
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Twitter starts rolling out HTTPS by default - good news for security a




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Twitter starts rolling out HTTPS by default - good news for security a
Thread Forum
New USB plug coming: Good news, bad news News
Microsoft starts adding Twitter feed to main Bing News
Microsoft starts rolling out new MSN homepage News
IE8: How to deactivate https security warning? Browsers & Mail

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App