Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 vulnerable to 8 out of 10 viruses.

04 Nov 2009   #1
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 
Windows 7 vulnerable to 8 out of 10 viruses.

Quote:
Now that we in the northern hemisphere have had some time to digest the Windows 7 hype and settle in for the coming winter, we thought we would get some more hard data regarding Windows 7 security.
On October 22nd, we settled in at SophosLabs and loaded a full release copy of Windows 7 on a clean machine. We configured it to follow the system defaults for User Account Control (UAC) and did not load any anti-virus software.
We grabbed the next 10 unique samples that arrived in the SophosLabs feed to see how well the newer, more secure version of Windows and UAC held up. Unfortunately, despite Microsoft's claims, Windows 7 disappointed just like earlier versions of Windows. The good news is that, of the freshest 10 samples that arrived, 2 would not operate correctly under Windows 7.
More -
Windows 7 vulnerable to 8 out of 10 viruses | Chester Wisniewski's Blog


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Nov 2009   #2
logicearth

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Lol I find that funny really. A virus/malware is an application, you install it it will do bad things. An OS cannot tell the difference between malware and a well behaved application because they are the same. Now this I could have accept if the samples tested were left to infect the machine without user intervention. But during the installing process they are given administrative rights which could have done anything to the machine. This does not make the security of the OS any less.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #3
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Lol I find that funny really. A virus/malware is an application, you install it it will do bad things. An OS cannot tell the difference between malware and a well behaved application because they are the same. Now this I could have accept if the samples testes were left to infect the machine without user intervention. But during the installing process they are given administrative rights which could have done anything to the machine. This does not make the security of the OS any less.
I completely agree...The security of an OS is an independent variable of the security of a whole

Security of OS (40%) + Knowledge of User (60%) = Security of computer...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Nov 2009   #4
n0th1n9

Vista HP, Vista Ultimate, XP Pro, Seven Ultimate x2
 
 

I am a little confused, did they have to click yes on the UAC prompt when installing the malware? or did it auto install and inffect the computer.

This doesn't acknowledge weather it is a failier in windows or just a user manully causeing the infection.

I am more concerned with the aspect of auto infecting my system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #5
H2SO4

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Lol I find that funny really. A virus/malware is an application, you install it it will do bad things. An OS cannot tell the difference between malware and a well behaved application because they are the same. Now this I could have accept if the samples testes were left to infect the machine without user intervention. But during the installing process they are given administrative rights which could have done anything to the machine. This does not make the security of the OS any less.
I completely agree...The security of an OS is an independent variable of the security of a whole

Security of OS (40%) + Knowledge of User (60%) = Security of computer...
Thirded. Initially I suspected that Mr. Wisniewski may simply be suffering from a mild case of intellectual disability, seeing as he was "testing OS security" by executing malware in an admin context. Nice one Chester

However, further reading leads me to believe the article is more of an oblique cry for help, peppered with you-connect-the-dots marketing:

"Lesson learned? You still need to run anti-virus on Windows 7."

"Windows 7 is no cure for the virus blues, so be sure to bring your protection when you boot up."

Site? www.sophos.com. Industry? They apparently make chandeliers and candelabras.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #6
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Lol I find that funny really. A virus/malware is an application, you install it it will do bad things. An OS cannot tell the difference between malware and a well behaved application because they are the same. Now this I could have accept if the samples testes were left to infect the machine without user intervention. But during the installing process they are given administrative rights which could have done anything to the machine. This does not make the security of the OS any less.
I completely agree...The security of an OS is an independent variable of the security of a whole

Security of OS (40%) + Knowledge of User (60%) = Security of computer...
Thirded. Initially I suspected that Mr. Wisniewski may simply be suffering from a mild case of intellectual disability, seeing as he was "testing OS security" by executing malware in an admin context. Nice one Chester

However, further reading leads me to believe the article is more of an oblique cry for help, peppered with you-connect-the-dots marketing:

"Lesson learned? You still need to run anti-virus on Windows 7."

"Windows 7 is no cure for the virus blues, so be sure to bring your protection when you boot up."

Site? www.sophos.com. Industry? They apparently make chandeliers and candelabras.
No offense to the OP but this thread just a waste of screen room

A chandelier maker commenting on the level of strength of a computer OS?
Does he more than just double-clicking an app?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #7
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there
What a totally 100% uninformative article.

It's 100% pure BOVINE SCATOLOGY.

Any OS is vulnerable to user commands (like running bad programs).

Would the writer of the article say Linux was a vulnerable system because a user can login as ROOT and delete every directory on the disk or a car was dangerous because you could rev it up to 140 km /hr and then deliberately run it against a solid concrete wall.

Pure xxxx.

I think this article deserves this month's merit award (screenshot enc).

Cheers
jimbo


Attached Thumbnails
-bull-full.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 vulnerable to 8 out of 10 viruses.




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Uninstalling Windows 7 with viruses
PLEASE HELP!! I don't care for any files on my CPU (I actually do but I could care less anymore-I just want my damn CPU to work again). I have tried uninstalling windows using my back up disc and the original disc but I keep getting different error messages. I have tried locating the virus...
Backup and Restore
Researchers win $100,000 for Chrome hack leaving Windows vulnerable
Read more at source: Researchers win $100,000 for Chrome hack that leaves Windows vulnerable | Security & Privacy - CNET News
Security News
Windows 7 Less Vulnerable Without Admin Rights.
Source - http://www.darkreading.com/insiderthreat/security/app-security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224200601&cid=RSSfeed
News
windows.old folder and viruses
Just had a question that I thought was interesting lets say i got a virus today and reinstalled my windows seven tomorrow not useing a clean install would the virus then be moved to my windows.old folder? And would it be possible to just delete my windows old folder to get rid of it. This had not...
System Security
Windows 7 UAC Feature Still Vulnerable
Read more http://www.sevenforums.com/news/13614-windows-7-uac-feature-still-vulnerable.html
News
Windows 7 beta UAC completely vulnerable to malware
TG Daily - Windows 7 beta UAC completely vulnerable to malware Chicago (IL) - An almost unbelievable flaw in Windows 7 beta and Microsoft's User Account Control (UAC) feature - the one designed to keep all of the annoying messages seen in Vista away from its users - allows its protection to be...
System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:06.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App