Although some of the tips are good, the article's toolkit and instructions are not correct or incomplete.
Since the article is directed to the general public, the suggested registry edits should first include instructions for backing up the registry.
Note the following as well:
1) Unless an internet connection is re-established, additional instructions are needed in order to install the latest MBAM dat files.
2) Although MBAM works in safe mode, it is intended to work in normal mode. Since some malware is not active in safe mode, it is best, if at all possible, to scan in normal mode.
3) ComboFix is not a "free-for-all" tool and should only be used with the guidance of a trained malware expert.
4) The same can be said for HijackThis. A novice should not be removing things with HJT.
5) Installing and running a massive list of random tools without knowing what is needed is unnecessary.
6) S!Ri's SmitfraudFix has not been updated in about a year. He is a Malwarebytes Researcher.
7) CWS? Come on. When was the last time anyone saw CoolWebSearch? TrendMicro hasn't updated it in years -- probably since obtaining it from Merijn.
8) The site for Virus Effect Remover is identified as being "Under Construction", thus not a tool I would recommend.