Yet Another High Security Problem with Internet Explorer.
My previous blog detailed how a setting in Internet Explorer interfered with Firefox
. Specifically, setting the Internet Zone to "High" security prevents Firefox from downloading EXE files. The good news was that with the right tweaking, Firefox could still download executable files.
I thought the topic was done. But no.
Today I logged on to a computer that I rarely use and the problem manifested itself in a much larger way.
The machine was running Windows XP SP3 with Internet Explorer Version 8 and all current patches. The Internet zone was on High security.
As noted earlier, I never use Internet Explorer and hadn't today. Instead I ran Firefox 3.5.9 and downloaded an EXE file. This was made possible by a tweak to Firefox 3.5 detailed in the previous blog.
But, when I went to run the just-downloaded EXE, Windows refused. The error was "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".
Strange, since I was logged on as an Administrator.