Unable to copy the Windows 7 install DVD to a thumb drive

1. Posts : 16
    Windows 7 PRO 64 bit

Hi,

I am using Windows 7 PRO X64 desktop. I have been unable to copy the Windows 7 install DVD (happens to be a Dell OEM full WIN7 PRO X64 DVD) to a thumb drive. I have tried using Internet explorer and a file management program called “xplorer2” PRO X65 from zabkat.com ( I have used xplorer2 for many years with no problems).

I tried copying the entire DVD by selecting all the folders. The copy process starts and then in a few minutes I receive an error message “K:\boot\en-us\bootsect.exe.mui File copy failed Windows error = 1117: The request could not be performed because on an I/O device error”. (Using GOOGLE search I did find some references to the “mui” file extension not being easily copied and some (possible) solutions.) I click on cancel and the screen dims; the rotating blue circle appears and continues to rotate. After about 6-7 minutes I use Task manager, which shows the program is not responding, to kill the task. Same results for both Internet explorer and xplorer2.

As an experiment, I powered down and restarted WIN7. This time I selected a single folder; size about 100MB ( NOT the boot\en-us folder), on the DVD disk and started the copy process. Again the copy process started. This time I did not receive the error message (as expected, since I was not copying the bootsect.exe.mui file). The copy process was the same, after about 5-6 minutes, the screen dims, the rotating blue circle appears and continues to rotate. Wait about 6-7 minutes, use Task manager, which shows the program is not responding to kill the task. Same results for both Internet explorer and xplorer2.

MY question: Is there something unique about copying an Operating System install disk to a thumb drive? Do I need to use some (old) DOS process like XCOPY ? I have been able to copy files, folders from DVD disks to thumb drives many times

Thanks
      My Computer

2. Posts : 13,576
    Windows 10 Pro x64

If you are trying to create a usb installer, you just can`t copy the files over, first you have to create an Iso file from your dvd, then burn that iso file to your usb stick with Rufus.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

If you would like a Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 Bit Iso file, I`ll post the direct link and you can use that to create a usb installer.

You can also create the Iso file from your install dvd by using Image Burn.

The Official ImgBurn Website

But if you want to download a fresh Iso file, just click the link below and it will start the English Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit Iso file download. It`s direct from Microsoft so no worries :)

https://software-download.microsoft....9fc6d1b222f85e
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unable to copy the Windows 7 install DVD to a thumb drive-capture.jpg  
      My Computer

3. Posts : 1,851
    Windows 7 pro

There are portions of CDs and DVDs that can't be copied by Windows especially bootable disks which basically have a stripped down and highly customized OS on them. Also the files that make a disk bootable aren't readable by Windows so even if you copied everything else the thumb drive likely wouldn't work. There is a reason why it says "loading Windows" when you boot into a windows DVD and windows cannot be copied directly.
      My Computer

4. Posts : 3,371
    W10 Pro desktop, W11 laptop, W11 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)

Generally speaking, the files that an explorer type program can "see" can be copied to a thumb drive. As others have said, the thumb drive won't be bootable but the files should still copy over. More than likely, the DVD the OP is using to copy from has a defect. Another possibility is the DVD drive itself.

OP should try downloading and burning a new ISO and, if possible, try copying the DVD on another computer with a different DVD drive.
      My Computer

5. Posts : 16,162
    7 X64

Yep, sounds like a problem with dvd drive or the dvd disc.
      My Computers

6. Posts : 16,162
    7 X64

@AddRAM,.

Just need to create a partition on the flashdrive - format ( ntfs or fat32). Bootsector will be created by any modern partitioning tools during format - PW, PA, paragon, etc.

Copy the contents of the dvd onto flash drive.
    Last edited by SIW2; 18 Jan 2017 at 18:58.
      My Computers

7. Posts : 2,774
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

A good quality disk-copier like Cyberlink's Power To Go can copy disk to disk -- however, be sure to boot test the made copy.
    ** Addendum: I just realized I miss-typed, was at school. Scrap Power To Go. With PowerISO or something similar, use the contents of the target DVD to make an ISO, then with PowerISO or something similar use that ISO to make the bootable usb flash drive. **
    Last edited by RolandJS; 18 Jan 2017 at 19:49.
      My Computer

8. Posts : 7,351
    Windows 7 HP 64

Isolate the problem. Try to copy all the disk to a folder on the HDD. If it does, the problem is with the USB flash disk.
    Open Disk Management. How many partitions are on the disk?
      My Computers

9. Posts : 2,774
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I just realized I miss-typed my earlier post, was at school. Scrap Power To Go. With PowerISO or something similar, use the contents of the target DVD to make an ISO, then with PowerISO or something similar use that ISO to make the bootable usb flash drive.
      My Computer