Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: DVD+R or DVD-R for burning DVDs?

09 Aug 2010   #1
XGamer95

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 
DVD+R or DVD-R for burning DVDs?

I've heard DVD-R is better. Is that true?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Aug 2010   #2
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Really? Because I recall hearing the opposite. I don't believe either is better than the other. I do recommend burning at the lowest speed possible and maybe buying from the second cheapest brand. If you do that, you should't have a problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2010   #3
XGamer95

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
Really? Because I recall hearing the opposite. I don't believe either is better than the other. I do recommend burning at the lowest speed possible and maybe buying from the second cheapest brand. If you do that, you should't have a problem.
I already burn at lowest speed (which is 6x on my burner/writer). All I have on hand right now are memorex DVD+R 16x dvds. Are those mid-grade? It seems the brand is pretty common, maybe it being cheap and all (if it is) is the reason why.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Aug 2010   #4
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

I've been using Memorex DVD-R 4x DVDs for awhile now. Memorex is recommended a lot, so I thinK the brand is fine. I think "mid-grade" is a good description. They aren't bottom of the barrel but they aren't too pricey either. Have you tried burning at 16x, since that is what the DVD is? What problem are you having?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2010   #5
XGamer95

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
I've been using Memorex DVD-R 4x DVDs for awhile now. Memorex is recommended a lot, so I thinK the brand is fine. I think "mid-grade" is a good description. They aren't bottom of the barrel but they aren't too pricey either. Have you tried burning at 16x, since that is what the DVD is? What problem are you having?
I've heard you should burn at half of the dvds max speed, but I like burning at the lowest possible for a reduced possibility of errors. I've never tried anything higher than 6x for that reason.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2010   #6
Darician

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I've used FujiFilm and Philips DVDs (both + and -) for years and always burned at the maximum speed and never had an issue with it. As for + and -, it only really matters if you have a device that is only compatible with one and not the other; apart from that, I've found it to be rather irrelevant. I have one DVD Recorder Appliance that can only record on +R media so that's the only time it matters to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2010   #7
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XGamer95 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
I've been using Memorex DVD-R 4x DVDs for awhile now. Memorex is recommended a lot, so I thinK the brand is fine. I think "mid-grade" is a good description. They aren't bottom of the barrel but they aren't too pricey either. Have you tried burning at 16x, since that is what the DVD is? What problem are you having?
I've heard you should burn at half of the dvds max speed, but I like burning at the lowest possible for a reduced possibility of errors. I've never tried anything higher than 6x for that reason.
Are you actually having a problem? If so I would try what I recommended before just to see if it works. If not, then please let me know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2010   #8
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darician View Post
I've used FujiFilm and Philips DVDs (both + and -) for years and always burned at the maximum speed and never had an issue with it. As for + and -, it only really matters if you have a device that is only compatible with one and not the other; apart from that, I've found it to be rather irrelevant.
+ Virtually the same as above except I use Sony Accucore discs and have never had a bad burn due to high speeds.

As mentioned, the + / - is largely irrelevant unless you have a specific device that won't accept one over the other.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2010   #9
XGamer95

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by XGamer95 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
I've been using Memorex DVD-R 4x DVDs for awhile now. Memorex is recommended a lot, so I thinK the brand is fine. I think "mid-grade" is a good description. They aren't bottom of the barrel but they aren't too pricey either. Have you tried burning at 16x, since that is what the DVD is? What problem are you having?
I've heard you should burn at half of the dvds max speed, but I like burning at the lowest possible for a reduced possibility of errors. I've never tried anything higher than 6x for that reason.
Are you actually having a problem? If so I would try what I recommended before just to see if it works. If not, then please let me know.
No I don't, I'm was just saying I've never burned at speeds higher than 6x and I don't plan to because the slower you burn, the less chance of errors, data corruption, missing files etc. I'd rather get it right the first time and I don't mind waiting a little longer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2010   #10
Petey7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Okay. You are right on the slower speed being better. From your second post it sounded like you might be actually having a problem burning DVDs so I wanted to be sure. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 DVD+R or DVD-R for burning DVDs?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
help burning dvds
If I wanted to make a dvd that can be played on a home dvd player, what would the best program be? the thing is that I want to make a dvd of still pictures as a slideshow
Music, Pictures & Video
problem burning DVDs?
if you people would be so kind i could do with some help? my laptop has a DVD super-multi drive but im having problems burning DVD's i have tried using nero, windows DVD maker and burnaware. it goes through the whole process and takes around 40 minutes, but then the disk wont play/open...
Music, Pictures & Video
Dvds not burning
First i just wanted to make a DVD I tried using a couple of different dvd burning software like Aimersoft and Nero both always fail to completely burn my videos so i tried just putting the dvd into my computer and clicking the burn files to disc and then tried to make a dvd like a usb drive but it...
General Discussion
Burning DVDs, no audio
I am trying to burn a TV show recorded on Windows Live TV. It works great but there is no audio at all. Is there a truck i can use to get the audio recorded as well? Most frustrated. :confused:
Music, Pictures & Video
burning cds/dvds
Used to use Nero to burn audio cds and video dvds. Do I still need to use burning software or is windows7 capable of the same in the following situations? Burning audio cds by dragging mp3 files and having then burned as an audio cd. Burning video dvds by dragging and burning the video_ts...
General Discussion
Problems burning dvds
hi can someone help with this im burning dvds using vuze software, the problem is when i play it in my dvd player it comes out with large pixels all over the screen ? it ruins the viewing, am i burning to fast if so how do i slow it down, hope ye understand my problem.
Media Center


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:40.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App