Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Ubuntu Advice


10 Sep 2010   #1

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
Ubuntu Advice

So there's nothing to be done in work and I got bored. I looked up Ubuntu and decided I'd like to give it a go. Their site gives decent instructions on how to create a disc or USB to run straight off or install if you wish.

Can somebody in the know please give me advice in regards to disc partitioning and how much space I would need? I have about 200GB free on my HDD but plan to fill it soon, so don't want Ubuntu taking to much space.

Is there any sort of risks involved with the installing this? Can it harm my current 7 install?

So to summarise,
1) Is it as easy to install as Ubuntu make out?
2) Advice on partitioning. How do I go around setting them up and can they be easily removed if need be?
3) Risks.
4) Must have apps.

Any help will be much appreciated as usual.

Thanks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Sep 2010   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

I will not have all your answers and my only experience comes from the many posts that I have been involved with.

Here are the requirements
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

Based upon what I have learned it is very easy to install, many have requested help after a sucesssful installation. The problems encountered had nothing to do with the installation, but rather the dual boot that was required. Some uninstalling and not being able to boot windows. I think that is your biggest risk.
I have had situations where some were not able to boot Windows after installation, but that was not too common.
You would want to make a system image with the native software or to use Macrium Reflect and put the image in a safe place. In the event of any kind of problem you can fall back on the image and be ready to go
There have not been any reported problems with the partition process other than you may not be able to use the native partition software and would have to use some other software. This software has been mentioned and complimented in the past http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html
Finally, wish you luck. There will be many more posters, who will give much more detailed advice. This is just the beginning, to give you something to think about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #3

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Thanks for the info. If Windows doesn't boot it's not the end of the world really. I have all my files and software backed up so a clean install would be painless enough.

I'll maybe just have to read around a bit more and make sure to follow the most sound advice. Like you said, hopefully some more people can come along and help out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Sep 2010   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Ill get you some useful threads

Just check this space now and then. I cant make new posts for each thread
ubuntu ???? no install !!!!

Just had a better thought. Put ubuntu in search and title only
http://www.sevenforums.com/search.php
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #5

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Ill get you some useful threads

Just check this space now and then. I can make new posts for each thread
ubuntu ???? no install !!!!

Just had a better thought. Put ubuntu in search and titile only
Windows 7 Forums - Search Forums
Good man. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

With Ubuntu, it's very easy. What you want to perform is a wubi install. It's a special installer on the CD that you can run which will more or less install Ubuntu not into it's own partition, but rather into a folder on your existing C drive. It will then add an option to the windows boot loader so that when you turn on and boot up your machine, you will be given a choice to boot into Windows or Linux. And if you later decide that Ubuntu is not for you, simply boot into Windows, go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall Ubuntu. It really couldn't be easier and it leaves you with no real risk to your actual system.

Ubuntu most likely would only need about 8GB of space. The actual install will only use about 2-3GB of that...leaving you with 5+GB free for fooling around. When you install from wubi, it asks you how big of a hard drive you want. So, if you want to have some extra breathing room, just enter in 20GB and you should be all set.

I wouldn't worry right now about any "must have" apps. If you are new to Linux..the learning curve is going to be considerable and just getting around is going to take up a fair amount of time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #7

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
With Ubuntu, it's very easy. What you want to perform is a wubi install. It's a special installer on the CD that you can run which will more or less install Ubuntu not into it's own partition, but rather into a folder on your existing C drive. It will then add an option to the windows boot loader so that when you turn on and boot up your machine, you will be given a choice to boot into Windows or Linux. And if you later decide that Ubuntu is not for you, simply boot into Windows, go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall Ubuntu. It really couldn't be easier and it leaves you with no real risk to your actual system.

Ubuntu most likely would only need about 8GB of space. The actual install will only use about 2-3GB of that...leaving you with 5+GB free for fooling around. When you install from wubi, it asks you how big of a hard drive you want. So, if you want to have some extra breathing room, just enter in 20GB and you should be all set.

I wouldn't worry right now about any "must have" apps. If you are new to Linux..the learning curve is going to be considerable and just getting around is going to take up a fair amount of time.
Thanks mate. So is this wubi install just an option provided by Ubuntu? It's not some sort of 3rd party thing? If so, do I just follow the infromation on their site on making the ISO disk and running from that? Cheers from your input.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #8

windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Just a note of caution... Linux doesn't seem to play well with ATI graphics cards so I just stopped using it when I switched from Nvidia. I haven't tried the latest drivers though so please let us know how it goes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #9

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
So is this wubi install just an option provided by Ubuntu? It's not some sort of 3rd party thing?
Yep, it's an ubuntu feature - not a 3rd party app.

It essentially creates a bootable VHD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2010   #10

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Now I've got Ubuntu installed which was a breeze with Wubi. I can't get figure out how to get my wireless USB to connect to the internet. I've searched on-line to no avail.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Ubuntu Advice




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33