Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Screen Capture tools

22 Dec 2010   #1
yousaf465

Windows 7 Ultimate x32bit
 
 
Screen Capture tools

I have tried cam studio but I'm unable to use the video generated by it. I can't copy or view the file except through the cam studio itself.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Dec 2010   #2
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Try Camtasia ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2010   #3
IownAmoneyPit

Windows 7 Pro x 2/Windows 8.1/8.1 Pro/Windows 10 TP
 
 

FastStone Capture 5.3 (last freeware version)

Note: Use either of the last 2 (free) links on bottom of page

It captures rectangular/active screen or area, freehand area and also captures a scrolling screen, I have used it many times - an good example would be to capture a lengthy tutorial to use offline. A great find by Barman58
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Dec 2010   #4
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yousaf465 View Post
I have tried cam studio but I'm unable to use the video generated by it. I can't copy or view the file except through the cam studio itself.
What's the file extension? Do you have a choice as to what format to save your recording to in CamStudio?
My copy saves to an AVI file which plays on all standard players including Windows Media Player!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2010   #5
yousaf465

Windows 7 Ultimate x32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yousaf465 View Post
I have tried cam studio but I'm unable to use the video generated by it. I can't copy or view the file except through the cam studio itself.
What's the file extension? Do you have a choice as to what format to save your recording to in CamStudio?
My copy saves to an AVI file which plays on all standard players including Windows Media Player!
It saves avi files but they have a lock icon on them. And I can't see them except when I browse them through camstudio. I did unhide the files but still there weren't there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2010   #6
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Do you have full Admin rights to the files?

Follow this tutorial and see if that helps;
Context Menu - Take Ownership - Vista Forums
This works on Win 7 as well!
Also try this:
http://lockhunter.com/

Both of these additions are worth having and are constantly useful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2010   #7
Nigsy

openSUSE 13.1 64bit
 
 

Camtasia records using a specific codec (Techsmith camcorder codec) and is not directley compatible with WMP but will work fine with VLC (Or WMP with the klite codec pack). So even if the file appears to be an .avi file it still may not play.

When using the camtasia recorder you can select the video codec under tools > options > inputs > video settings and select the codec required from the list.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2010   #8
yousaf465

Windows 7 Ultimate x32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Do you have full Admin rights to the files?

Follow this tutorial and see if that helps;
Context Menu - Take Ownership - Vista Forums
This works on Win 7 as well!
Also try this:
LockHunter is a free 64/32 bit tool to delete files blocked by any processes

Both of these additions are worth having and are constantly useful.
yeah, I'm the only admin of this machine.

I download the camtasia and this is the result TechSmith | Screencast.com, online video sharing, Google Transliterate urdu with Audio commentary with audio commentary. And this one http://www.screencast.com/t/PqjamhrW without the audio commentary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Dec 2010   #9
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I have Camstudio up and running and it doesn't need any extra codecs installed for it to work with all my video players. Indeed IMHO adding 3rd party codecs often puts a spanner in the works especially codec packs. Often you get a codec in a pack that is a different version to what you already have installed thereby causing a conflict. I use video files in a multitude of formats from four different camcorders and I have never needed to install extra codecs.
yousaf, I note that you are the only admin on your PC but have you carried out my suggestion in post #6?
Your two attachments work fine, how did you get them uploaded if you haven't access to the files?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2010   #10
yousaf465

Windows 7 Ultimate x32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
I have Camstudio up and running and it doesn't need any extra codecs installed for it to work with all my video players. Indeed IMHO adding 3rd party codecs often puts a spanner in the works especially codec packs. Often you get a codec in a pack that is a different version to what you already have installed thereby causing a conflict. I use video files in a multitude of formats from four different camcorders and I have never needed to install extra codecs.
yousaf, I note that you are the only admin on your PC but have you carried out my suggestion in post #6?
Your two attachments work fine, how did you get them uploaded if you haven't access to the files?
I overlooked those. Though I'm going to do it now. These videos were produced by camtasia. Somebody recommended snagit and I went a step further. Downloaded camtasia, and it really working. Cam studio's files are unaccessible except by itself.


I have explained how I can't find the file in this video. I tried both methods but can't find the files.

http://www.screencast.com/t/3UNhowpE
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Screen Capture tools




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I take a screen shot/capture
I tried taking a screen shot by using the Print Screen Button on my keyboard but does not do it. On my other laptop which has Vista, it was easy but on this laptop, Win 7, I can't. I do have the snipping tool but I want to do it the other way. When I was able to do it, it would open up as a new...
General Discussion
Screen Capture (Video)
I am looking for a good screen capture program so I can record video of the desktop. Unlike many people who need something like this I need specifics. 1. Must be able to capture a full 1920x1080 display at a decent frame rate preferably 60 fps. 2. Must also be able to capture video in the...
Software
Screen capture
What's a good program to make screen captures of the entire screen?
Software
Preventing Screen Capture
Hi all I was just wondering if there was anyway of preventing people from capturing a screen image.. You can disable the mouse context menu (normally the right mouse click - or left if you've swapped the default mouse options) on an image to stop people from downloading it but I don't think...
General Discussion
screen capture and changing rez
samsung 26" monitor/tv 1920 x 1080 win 7 64 pro, nvida 230 w1.5mb mem connected via hdmi Maybe i have overlooked the answer, but here is my problem. I have tried , faststone, snag-it, picpick,screenshotcapture programs and all give me same results. When i "click" for screen shot, the screen...
General Discussion
Capture a section of the screen in Win 7? ...
I am curious, Mac's have a feature I saw someone at work use where you can capture a screen shot by dragging out a square (I think they used Cmd+Shift+4 or something) and saving the image inside the square as a capture - Does Win7 have anything like that? Or is there an app I can download to allow...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App