Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Gimp and Windows 7 x64

19 Apr 2011   #1
Jerryc999

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Gimp and Windows 7 x64

I am looking forward (just started reading a text book) to learning Gimp. I just purchased a new desk-top unit that has Windows 7 x64. Based on the Microsoft Windows 7 compatability site, Gimp is shown to not be compatabile. The Gimp web site gives the latest Windows (32) download and a dowload link for an "unstable" 32/64 bit version.

Is anyone running Gimp on Windows 7 64? If so can you tell me what version you installed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry


My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2011   #2
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

GIMP in Windows

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2011   #3
Maxxwire

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jerryc999 View Post
Is anyone running Gimp on Windows 7 64? If so can you tell me what version you installed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jerry
I've been running GIMP on my Win 7 x64 computer ever since I got it last summer. I am currently running GIMP 2.6.10 x64 and I have never had a single problem!

~Maxx~

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2011   #4
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
I've been running GIMP on my Win 7 x64 computer ever since I got it last summer. I am currently running GIMP 2.6.10 x64 and I have never had a single problem!

~Maxx~

.
I also run the x64 BIT version on another machine, and have also never had a problem, but, you can not run quite a few of the add-ons on the x64 BIT versions. They just wont work. If you only use the basic GIMP, then it doesn't matter, if you want the add-ons then you need to install the x32 BIT version.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2011   #5
Maxxwire

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Jerryc999-So basically, yes GIMP x64 runs perfectly on Win 7 x64, but the 'add-ons' only run on the x32 version. I find GIMP so full featured that I've been running it for over 3 years without the need of an add-on.

~Maxx~

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2011   #6
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
Jerryc999-So basically, yes GIMP x64 runs perfectly on Win 7 x64, but the 'add-ons' only run on the x32 version. I find GIMP so full featured that I've been running it for over 3 years without the need of an add-on.

~Maxx~

.
Doubtless, but why limit yourself if you don't have to? Many people use GIMP precisely because of the add-ons. If they don't run, then the software is useless to them.

Furthermore, there is no support for GIMP x64, and the developers advise against using it. Even the installer is experimental;

GIMP - Windows installers

You get a warning when you install the x64 BIT version, that it might not work, and if it doesn't you must not bother the developers with it.

The x32 BIT version is stable, reliable, runs all the appropriate x32 BIT add-ons, and causes no other problems that I am aware of.

The guy asked for the best version, and even mentioned the unstable version.

In my opinion, installing unstable versions of anything at all is inadvisable, especially if they have limited functionality, and there is no good reason for doing so.

Your mileage may vary..........

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2011   #7
Maxxwire

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post

Furthermore, there is no support for GIMP x64, and the developers advise against using it. Even the installer is experimental;

GIMP - Windows installers

You get a warning when you install the x64 BIT version, that it might not work, and if it doesn't you must not bother the developers with it.

In my opinion, installing unstable versions of anything at all is inadvisable, especially if they have limited functionality, and there is no good reason for doing so.

Regards....Mike Connor
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post

I also run the x64 BIT version on another machine, and have also never had a problem.

Regards....Mike Connor
?????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2011   #8
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post

Furthermore, there is no support for GIMP x64, and the developers advise against using it. Even the installer is experimental;

GIMP - Windows installers

You get a warning when you install the x64 BIT version, that it might not work, and if it doesn't you must not bother the developers with it.

In my opinion, installing unstable versions of anything at all is inadvisable, especially if they have limited functionality, and there is no good reason for doing so.

Regards....Mike Connor
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post

I also run the x64 BIT version on another machine, and have also never had a problem.

Regards....Mike Connor
?????

What is the problem? Do you have a question you would like to ask me?

Are you having trouble reading or understanding my posts?

Advising beginners to use unstable versions of anything is not sensible.

I already explained in quite some detail why it is not a good idea for him to use the x64 version, the developers of the system also advise the same thing.

Why you would persist in this after having the reasons carefully explained to you is not sensible either.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2011   #9
Maxxwire

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post

I also run the x64 BIT version on another machine, and have also never had a problem.
Regards....Mike Connor
You have clearly stated that you use GIMP x64 BIT and recommended it to the OP in the statement above by saying that you have never had a problem running x64 BIT GIMP so how is it that you now make all of these claims of the program's instability?

~Maxx~

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2011   #10
Mike Connor

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maxxwire View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post

I also run the x64 BIT version on another machine, and have also never had a problem.
Regards....Mike Connor
You have clearly stated that you use GIMP x64 BIT and recommended it to the OP in the statement above by saying that you have never had a problem running x64 BIT GIMP so how is it that you now make all of these claims of the program's instability?

~Maxx~

.

So either you do have difficulty reading and understanding my posts, or you have not read them. I expressly DID NOT RECOMMEND the x64 version. If you had read my posts you would know that. I have made no claims whatsoever about instability, the DEVELOPER OF THE SYSTEM WARNS THAT IT IS UNSTABLE.

What part of;

QUOTE
Yes, the GIMP is first class. It is not the same as Photoshop, but you can do a very great deal with it, and there is nothing else even nearly as good for free!. It is not easy to get it set up exactly as you want it on Windows. If you try it, don't get the 64 BIT version. It works fine by itself, but many of the available add-ons and plugins wont. Get the latest 32 BIT version (2.6), and the paint studio add-on;
UNQUOTE

From my initial reply to the original poster

GIMP in Windows

don't you understand? Or have you not read it?

I don't advise ANYBODY AT ALL to install the x64 version of GIMP on Windows. The installer is unstable as stated by the DEVELOPER OF THE SYSTEM, and a warning is also given when you try to install it.

It works fine on one of my machines, as far as it goes, BUT I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING IT!!!! Also for the other reasons I gave in regard to important programs and plugins which will not run on the x64 BIT version of GIMP.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Gimp and Windows 7 x64




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Gimp and Windows 7 x64
Thread Forum
Gimp 2.8 now available Software
Solved Gimp 2.8 Released Software
GIMP in Windows Software
Gimp 2.6.9 Released Software
Gimp vs. Photoshop Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App