Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: x86 Programs Not Working


29 Apr 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 
x86 Programs Not Working

I recently replaced my failing hard drive (~2 weeks ago) with a new one using a fresh install of Windows and everything had been fine until a few days ago.

I was trying to install Java but for whatever reason the online installers weren't working so I decided to try the offline installer. It seemed to work but I noticed my Firefox wouldn't launch after installing it so I rebooted the PC. Upon rebooting I noticed that any 32-bit program that didn't run at startup wasn't working. I did a bit of research and decided to run sfc /scannow several times (which didn't seem to do anything) followed by chkdsk which ended up fixing the problem.

Everything had been fine until today (reinstalled Java using the online installer which for whatever reason decided to work now) when I updated Firefox to 4.0.1. After updating Firefox, the issue seems to have come back randomly. At this point I'm fairly sure it doesn't have to do with Java, just installing/updating 32-bit programs. What confuses me is that I've installed several other 32-bit programs since fixing the issue the first time and its been fine. Another thing I've noticed is that UAC seems to be acting a bit off, asking me for permission every time I launch certain 64-bit programs (Ventrilo for example) as opposed to remembering it.

I checked Event Viewer and the only warnings/errors that seem to come up are the following:

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 4/29/2011 4:12:16 PM
Event ID: 7000
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Helios
Description:
The AODDriver4.0 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

and

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
Date: 4/29/2011 4:12:17 PM
Event ID: 11
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Helios
Description:
Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

----------------------

I looked these up and they seem to be related to the newest version of the Catalyst Drivers for my video card though they don't seem to be the culprit.

----------------------

At this point I'm probably going to run another CHKDSK later tonight (if I don't get a reply soon) to fix it but It'd be nice if I could find out what exactly is causing this issue.

edit: Forgot to add, I haven't installed the drivers for my motherboard since the sound card drivers they include gave me issues in the past, I'm not sure if that could somehow be causing the issue (but I'm not seeing anything related to them in Event Viewer).


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Apr 2011   #2

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

First, you need to make sure Malware is not affecting your system. Download this,

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50.1 - FileHippo.com

install it, update the database and run a FULL scan.

If it finds anything, post the log here.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
First, you need to make sure Malware is not affecting your system. Download this,

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50.1 - FileHippo.com

install it, update the database and run a FULL scan.

If it finds anything, post the log here.

Regards....Mike Connor
I already have Malwarebytes but can't run it because its a 32-bit program.

I'm fairly sure the issue isn't related to malware, I'm very careful when it comes to that kind of thing (running the free version of Avast! along with Comodo Firewall, also use the MVPS hosts file and Noscript+Adblock in Firefox). Avast! seems to be working despite being a 32-bit program (as its running at Startup) so I could try running a scan with that if you'd like.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Apr 2011   #4

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moarxx View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
First, you need to make sure Malware is not affecting your system. Download this,

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50.1 - FileHippo.com

install it, update the database and run a FULL scan.

If it finds anything, post the log here.

Regards....Mike Connor
I already have Malwarebytes but can't run it because its a 32-bit program.

I'm fairly sure the issue isn't related to malware, I'm very careful when it comes to that kind of thing (running the free version of Avast! along with Comodo Firewall, also use the MVPS hosts file and Noscript+Adblock in Firefox). Avast! seems to be working despite being a 32-bit program (as its running at Startup) so I could try running a scan with that if you'd like.
Use this instead;

Microsoft Safety Scanner - Remove Spyware, Malware, Viruses Free

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Just ran a Quick Scan in Avast! which didn't come up with anything, currently running a full scan with Microsoft Safety Scanner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #6

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moarxx View Post
Just ran a Quick Scan in Avast! which didn't come up with anything, currently running a full scan with Microsoft Safety Scanner.
OK. I prefer Malwarebytes or Superantispyware.

The problem here is that you wrote that Chkdsk somehow fixed the problem, but Chkdsk only checks the drive, it has no effect on software. Certainly not selectively on 32 BIT programs.

The only thing I know that does that is various malware.

I have heard that ATI Catalyst updates can cause this problem, but have not experienced this myself.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moarxx View Post
Just ran a Quick Scan in Avast! which didn't come up with anything, currently running a full scan with Microsoft Safety Scanner.
OK. I prefer Malwarebytes or Superantispyware.

The problem here is that you wrote that Chkdsk somehow fixed the problem, but Chkdsk only checks the drive, it has no effect on software. Certainly not selectively on 32 BIT programs.

The only thing I know that does that is various malware.

Regards....Mike Connor
I ran a CHKDSK /f /r, I'm guessing the problem is being caused by some sort of file system error as that's all that that CHKDSK could've fixed. Based on the other threads it seems to either be something wrong with Windows itself or certain drivers, I may just be best off doing another fresh install.

edit: Probably should've mentioned this in the original post but when I run the 32-bit programs they show up in Task Manager but stay at 116k Memory usage and don't seem to do anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #8

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moarxx View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moarxx View Post
Just ran a Quick Scan in Avast! which didn't come up with anything, currently running a full scan with Microsoft Safety Scanner.
OK. I prefer Malwarebytes or Superantispyware.

The problem here is that you wrote that Chkdsk somehow fixed the problem, but Chkdsk only checks the drive, it has no effect on software. Certainly not selectively on 32 BIT programs.

The only thing I know that does that is various malware.

Regards....Mike Connor
I ran a CHKDSK /f /r, I'm guessing the problem is being caused by some sort of file system error as that's all that that CHKDSK could've fixed. Based on the other threads it seems to either be something wrong with Windows itself or certain drivers, I may just be best off doing another fresh install.
Indeed, I rather fear you will have to do that. Especially if such a problem is random, then something is seriously amiss.

The scan found nothing?

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moarxx View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post

OK. I prefer Malwarebytes or Superantispyware.

The problem here is that you wrote that Chkdsk somehow fixed the problem, but Chkdsk only checks the drive, it has no effect on software. Certainly not selectively on 32 BIT programs.

The only thing I know that does that is various malware.

Regards....Mike Connor
I ran a CHKDSK /f /r, I'm guessing the problem is being caused by some sort of file system error as that's all that that CHKDSK could've fixed. Based on the other threads it seems to either be something wrong with Windows itself or certain drivers, I may just be best off doing another fresh install.
Indeed, I rather fear you will have to do that. Especially if such a problem is random, then something is seriously amiss.

The scan found nothing?

Regards....Mike Connor
The Microsoft Safety Scanner is still in progress but its only ~1/6th of the way done, it has ~125GB to scan in total.

As far as Catalyst drivers go I looked into the 2 errors and it seems as if nearly everyone is getting those 2 errors since the latest version though I haven't seen anyone having any real issues caused by them. I'm still doubting it has anything to do with this considering how the issue seems to have shown up both times after installing/updating 32-bit programs.

edit: Just in case you missed this from my last post, I edited this in:
Probably should've mentioned this in the original post but when I run the 32-bit programs they show up in Task Manager but stay at 116k Memory usage and don't seem to do anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2011   #10

Several, including Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moarxx View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mike Connor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by moarxx View Post

I ran a CHKDSK /f /r, I'm guessing the problem is being caused by some sort of file system error as that's all that that CHKDSK could've fixed. Based on the other threads it seems to either be something wrong with Windows itself or certain drivers, I may just be best off doing another fresh install.
Indeed, I rather fear you will have to do that. Especially if such a problem is random, then something is seriously amiss.

The scan found nothing?

Regards....Mike Connor
The Microsoft Safety Scanner is still in progress but its only ~1/6th of the way done, it has ~125GB to scan in total.

As far as Catalyst drivers go I looked into the 2 errors and it seems as if nearly everyone is getting those 2 errors since the latest version though I haven't seen anyone having any real issues caused by them. I'm still doubting it has anything to do with this considering how the issue seems to have shown up both times after installing/updating 32-bit programs.

edit: Just in case you missed this from my last post, I edited this in:
Probably should've mentioned this in the original post but when I run the 32-bit programs they show up in Task Manager but stay at 116k Memory usage and don't seem to do anything.
I did miss it, thanks, but I am none the wiser.

Let's wait and see if the scan finds anything.

Regards....Mike Connor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 x86 Programs Not Working




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: x86 Programs Not Working
Thread Forum
microsoft programs not working General Discussion
Programs not working correctly General Discussion
Permissions are not working - Can't run any programs? General Discussion
Uninstalling programs is not working. Software
Sound is working for some programs and not for others Sound & Audio
Programs not working after upgrade. Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33