Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Notification Icons Missing on Reboot


03 Jun 2011   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Notification Icons Missing on Reboot

Hey guys,

I am having a few problems with some of my notification area icons.

Some of the programs I have set to start of boot (not very many I might add) aren't loading their icons in the notification area. However, if I log off, and log back on again, they appear again. Same if I restart explorer.exe.

I have tried clearing the cache (works until a reboot), and various other methods I have found online, all doing similar things. And while they work after a log off, to explorer.exe restart, they will not work after a fresh reboot. I have also run sfc /scannow and it finds no violations. Is there anyway to replace my explorer.exe from an SP1 extraction?

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jun 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

try to find an app that restarts explorer.exe and set it to startup with the other apps
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2011   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IT PRO View Post
try to find an app that restarts explorer.exe and set it to startup with the other apps
While that's a good idea, it's not really what I want. I don't want to be starting more apps, just because my explorer.exe is being weird. There SHOULD be a way to fix it, without running a program to restart explorer.exe every reboot!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Jun 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Hi madindehead

Have a look here Notification Area Icons - Reset this may help.

Danny
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2011   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Hi,

I did mention that I had tried that, but that it didn't stick after another reboot. Thanks anyway
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Ok no worries are you sure you have your icons set to show Notification Area Icons - Hide or Show System Icons and Notifications sure you do but worth double checking.
Also which icons are you struggling with

Danny

Did you follow this tutorial to clear your icon cache Icon Cache - Rebuild
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2011   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xxxdannyxxx View Post
Ok no worries are you sure you have your icons set to show Notification Area Icons - Hide or Show System Icons and Notifications sure you do but worth double checking.
Also which icons are you struggling with

Danny

Did you follow this tutorial to clear your icon cache Icon Cache - Rebuild
Thanks, will give those a go! First link is just taking me to the forums sadly

Will give them a try in a few minutes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madindehead View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xxxdannyxxx View Post
Ok no worries are you sure you have your icons set to show Notification Area Icons - Hide or Show System Icons and Notifications sure you do but worth double checking.
Also which icons are you struggling with

Danny

Did you follow this tutorial to clear your icon cache Icon Cache - Rebuild
Thanks, will give those a go! First link is just taking me to the forums sadly

Will give them a try in a few minutes
Sorry my mistake fixed that link
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2011   #9

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I might need to try that hotfix (this one here)

Microsoft used to have a really nice hotfix request feature, but that one doesn't seem to have it

Will need to try and contact them for it then.

Update: Ok, seems that hotfix WAS actually included in SP1. I just uninstalled it, as I thought it might be causing from issues, but I will reinstall, then reset the whole lot, and rebuild my icon cache etc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2011   #10

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Ok, well, I tried everything. Rebuild Icon Cache, and all the other ones. It's still not sticking. It ONLY updates when I reset explorer.exe OR log out and log back in.

So no joy with anything. It's VERY annoying! Unless I can find a small program to reset explorer.exe on a boot operation (something I would rather avoid) I guess I will just have to live with it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Notification Icons Missing on Reboot




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33