I got this annoyance for a couple of weeks and couldn't solve it on my own.
Softwares cannot add themselves to windows startup. Meaning, when trying to enable "run on startup", configuration is ignored, (although the softwares remember the new settings)
- Windows 7 x64 SP1 with all latest hotfixes (which I suspect responsible for this annoyance)
- User is administrator
- UAC is disabled.
Here's what I already checked:
- I've tried with several software like AIDA64,Fraps, Hard Disk Sentinel and more, so it's not a problem with a certain software.
- I've tried creating a new administrator user account.
- I've tried stopping all processes that might block this (firewall, antivirus, anti malware, etc.)
- I've tried safe mode.
- I've checked for viruses (with both local AV, and online AV)
- I've checked the registry permissions, and my user got full control
- I've checked event viewer and I can't see any new event upon trying to set one of the software to run on startup
- I've checked group policy and nothing is enabled/disabled there
- I've checked using sysinternals procmon to see if there is any access denied upon trying to set the software to run on startup, but there was no mentioning to either HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
By the way, adding the softwares manually to registry works fine.