Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Removing the warning when you log off

20 Sep 2011   #1
Shukaku

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 
Removing the warning when you log off

Hi

I use a program called Shut It! 1.1 so when a logoff or shutdown has been initiated, it displays a message. However, this message can't be seen because of Windows 7's annoying warning when a program is either open or preventing it from shutting down or logging off.

Is there any way to remove this feature so I can use the features of Shut It ?

Many thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Sep 2011   #2
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Hi Shukaku, welcome to 7F

I think you are describing the UAC that is built-into win 7.
Screen goes dark and a dialog box pops up asking you if you really want to allow Shut It! 1.1 to proceed with what you asked it to do.

Usual procedure is to say yes for the UAC, and then you have to OK shut it's question if it is what you want to do.

The only way I know of is to shut off the UAC But then you are left with a much less secure system.

Some reading: User Account Control
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2011   #3
Shukaku

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Hi Shukaku, welcome to 7F
Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
I think you are describing the UAC that is built-into win 7.
Screen goes dark and a dialog box pops up asking you if you really want to allow Shut It! 1.1 to proceed with what you asked it to do.

Usual procedure is to say yes for the UAC, and then you have to OK shut it's question if it is what you want to do.

The only way I know of is to shut off the UAC But then you are left with a much less secure system.

Some reading: User Account Control
Unfortunately, this is not what I am referring to. Open up some programs and make one show a dialog or something that will stop Windows closing down. Now logoff and you should see what I mean. It'll look like the image I've attached below. I always disable UAC as it's very annoying in my network


Attached Images
Removing the warning when you log off-warning.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Sep 2011   #4
Gornot

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I don't think there's a way to disable this feature in Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2011   #5
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

My apologies, I missed your thread topic.

As a matter of fact I have come across this. All I have done was to close the offending program(s), and then Windows would shut-down the session.

Never thought as being that much of a big deal, but since you are using a third-party program to do the shut-down for you I can see your consternation.

After reading about Shut it 1.1 From Delphiness.com, and here Download Shut it 1.1 Free - This application allows you to schedule your shut down with great ease. - Softpedia
I think you may be expecting too much from this app.

From the Developers Site:
Quote:
Shut It is a shutdown monitor. In essence it monitors system shutdown requests via the WM_QUERYENDSESSION windows message. When it detects a shutdown, it will temporarily stop the shutdown until user interaction or a timeout period has elapsed. Shut It runs from a small icon in the system tray (beside the clock if visible).
Why?
I use multiple desktops and VMWare, and quite often I forget a VMware session is running in the background before its too late. Shut It is designed to give me a "last chance" before closing the session.
As far as I can see the program is doing what it is designed to do, and that warning you are getting looks exactly like the one on the Developers site, that is not a Windows warning dialog box.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shukaku View Post
However, this message can't be seen because of Windows 7's annoying warning when a program is either open or preventing it from shutting down or logging off.
The first snip is from the Developer, the second is yours:
Removing the warning when you log off-1q.jpgRemoving the warning when you log off-1q1.jpg

In simpler terms: Shut it gives the user time to close out other programs so the user will not lose any work.

Are you looking for a program that will just nuke anything in its way and log off to a power off/down ending?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2011   #6
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

When you think of it, the warning should be when you log on!!

'Dis here be Windoze boy!! Anyt'ing can happin' at any time!! Keep dee eyze open man!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2011   #7
Shukaku

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Are you looking for a program that will just nuke anything in its way and log off to a power off/down ending?
I don't know what you mean. All I'm looking for is a way to remove Window's message when programs are running that prevent it shutting down, so I can use the Shut It! program, because currently, both Windows and Shut It! are doing the same thing.

I also know what Shut It! does, I simply want to use it as my local College uses it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2011   #8
Gornot

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
When you think of it, the warning should be when you log on!!

'Dis here be Windoze boy!! Anyt'ing can happin' at any time!! Keep dee eyze open man!
+1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2011   #9
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shukaku View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Are you looking for a program that will just nuke anything in its way and log off to a power off/down ending?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shukaku View Post
I don't know what you mean.
To nuke, as in the context I meant, means to indiscriminately shutdown a program whether or not it is ready to do so.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shukaku View Post
All I'm looking for is a way to remove Window's message when programs are running that prevent it shutting down, so I can use the Shut It! program, because currently, both Windows and Shut It! are doing the same thing.
These are older solutions, but they probably will not apply to Windows 7.
If you have the APM tab in Power Options in Control Panel click on, and enable APM. Also check the BIOS.
If you can find the file C:\Windows\Logos.sys, rename it to old. your machine will then shutdown without the warning, but then that defeats the purpose of the shut it program.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shukaku View Post
I also know what Shut It! does, I simply want to use it as my local College uses it.
How does your local College use it?
Are your collegian friends also having this problem?
Maybe it would behoove you to ask at University?

I am looking into this Dialog Boxes, but I am running out of time and I need to go and do some errands.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2011   #10
Shukaku

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
To nuke, as in the context I meant, means to indiscriminately shutdown a program whether or not it is ready to do so.
Nah, I don't want this.

Quote:
These are older solutions, but they probably will not apply to Windows 7.
If you have the APM tab in Power Options in Control Panel click on, and enable APM. Also check the BIOS.
If you can find the file C:\Windows\Logos.sys, rename it to old. your machine will then shutdown without the warning, but then that defeats the purpose of the shut it program.
I will try and find this stuff and get back to you.

Quote:
How does your local College use it?
Are your collegian friends also having this problem?
Maybe it would behoove you to ask at University?

I am looking into this Dialog Boxes, but I am running out of time and I need to go and do some errands.
Well, their computers use Windows XP, so all the features are enabled. They have it set up so that if you log off or shutdown the program, it displays a message indicating you have initiated a shutdown procedure. They don't have this problem since they use XP as mentioned above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Removing the warning when you log off




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Removing a dvd
How do I delete a dvd from my Window 7. The dvd has pictures, of course, on it, but I am afraid that if I delete the dvd I will lose the pictures. I use Window DVD maker and most of the time I get the pictures from my Photo Gallery. I do remove the pictures first before attempting the...
Music, Pictures & Video
Removing Add-Ons
I have 7 Pro 64Bit w/SP1 & IE10 w/all sorts of Add-Ons. Which Add-Ons are TRUELLY needed & how do I remove what I do not need/want?
System Security
Removing ie 10
I just went to the control panel to remove IE 10 restarted and for a half hour now it is saying. Preparing to configure windows. Do not turn off your computer. Is it stuck
Browsers & Mail
Removing a program
I need to remove SyncUp from my Dell 14z laptop. It is pre-installed and configured to work with Windows 7. From all I've read it is not a simple control panel/right click/delete. It resides in libraries, apparently. It is connected to Nero somehow. Can someone please explain to me how to...
Software
Removing Live mail Message warning
Windows 7 and windows live mail, how do you remove the attachment warning such as: Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.
Browsers & Mail
I Need Help Removing A Virus
When i try to select "remove all unhealed" in AVG it says that removing the virus can cause instability or a system crash. How can i get rid of it safely? Here's a screen of my AVG and the virus details. http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae126/SonicBrewtality/Virus.png
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:12.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App