Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: how to run windows 7 (32bit) software on (64bit)?

02 Dec 2011   #1
ala

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
how to run windows 7 (32bit) software on (64bit)?

Dear all,
I just had a new laptop with Windows 7 (64bit) installed, most of my software that i was running on my old windows 7 (32bit) was managed, and now they are running very well on my new machine, but only one software (QQ Messenger), I've been using this messenger for like 3 years, n i canot imagine stop using it jst cuz of this (32-64) issue, anybody can show me a way to run it up, or if anybody knows any version of QQ that can work on 64bit....

thanx a lot


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Dec 2011   #2
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Download a fresh copy ... it should work.

QQ Messenger - Download

32 bit version softwares run well on 64 bit OS. Sometimes some old paid softwares are to run using compatibility mode. As QQ is a free one, better you try a recent copy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2011   #3

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

[Edit] Unles Arcs suggestion fixes it first [/edit]

There shouldn't be any problem related to 32 vs 64 bit. But there are a lot of older programs that do "naughty" things with the OS that XP never cared about but Windows 7 does.

USUSALLY you can right click the program and "Run as Adimistrator" to get it to work. If that works you can edit or create a program shortcut and set the esttings to always run as administrator every time you click it...

However there are still a couple of things windows 7 will still not let just any old program do so it might still not work right.

Have you googled for "QQ MEssenger on Windows 7"? THere may be more specific help for that program out there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Dec 2011   #4
ala

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Download a fresh copy ... it should work.

QQ Messenger - Download

32 bit version softwares run well on 64 bit OS. Sometimes some old paid softwares are to run using compatibility mode. As QQ is a free one, better you try a recent copy.

nop, i didnt work , i tried many copies, non worked, devastating, when i double click at the downloaded installation icon i get an error message saying (qq.exe is not valid WIN32 Application)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2011   #5
ala

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
[Edit] Unles Arcs suggestion fixes it first [/edit]

There shouldn't be any problem related to 32 vs 64 bit. But there are a lot of older programs that do "naughty" things with the OS that XP never cared about but Windows 7 does.

USUSALLY you can right click the program and "Run as Adimistrator" to get it to work. If that works you can edit or create a program shortcut and set the esttings to always run as administrator every time you click it...

However there are still a couple of things windows 7 will still not let just any old program do so it might still not work right.

Have you googled for "QQ MEssenger on Windows 7"? THere may be more specific help for that program out there.
umm, unfortunately its 32 vs 64 bit problem, when i double click the downloaded installation icon i get an error message saying (qq.exe is not a valid Win32 application), i tried the (run as administrator) n i got the same error message replied, i tried google ur suggestion, i had many copies but non of them worked, very sad, very sad
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2011   #6

Windows 7 HomePremium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ala View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Download a fresh copy ... it should work.

QQ Messenger - Download

32 bit version softwares run well on 64 bit OS. Sometimes some old paid softwares are to run using compatibility mode. As QQ is a free one, better you try a recent copy.

nop, i didnt work , i tried many copies, non worked, devastating, when i double click at the downloaded installation icon i get an error message saying (qq.exe is not valid WIN32 Application)

I never download software from sites like Softonic (link above) -you can't download software directly from there. What you get is "download tool" (bells ringing?) which after running downloads (whatever) software.
Whenever possible, always download from maker of software (in this case: Free Video Chat, Download ) -do I really need to say that here?

Bogdan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2011   #7

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ala View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
[Edit] Unles Arcs suggestion fixes it first [/edit]

There shouldn't be any problem related to 32 vs 64 bit. But there are a lot of older programs that do "naughty" things with the OS that XP never cared about but Windows 7 does.

USUSALLY you can right click the program and "Run as Adimistrator" to get it to work. If that works you can edit or create a program shortcut and set the esttings to always run as administrator every time you click it...

However there are still a couple of things windows 7 will still not let just any old program do so it might still not work right.

Have you googled for "QQ MEssenger on Windows 7"? THere may be more specific help for that program out there.
umm, unfortunately its 32 vs 64 bit problem, when i double click the downloaded installation icon i get an error message saying (qq.exe is not a valid Win32 application), i tried the (run as administrator) n i got the same error message replied, i tried google ur suggestion, i had many copies but non of them worked, very sad, very sad
The only way that I know of that you can get that error message is if you are trying to run a 64 bit program on windows 32bit only. (NOT the other way around) or if the program is not an executable at all, or is corrupted. :/

That message should never come up when running any non-corrupted 32 bit program on windows 64 bit.

It may be possible that the program is trying to run another program or load a DLL that does not exist however. So it may be more of an XP vs Windows 7 issue. Besides the run as administrator, did you try running in XP compatibility mode? (Same location as the run as admin options).

Also, if this is happening to any other .exes that you try running directly then I would lean towards a virus or malware issue. If it's ONLY qq.exe and nothing else, then probably not.

Try running some other known good exes by double clicking on the .exe file from explorer and see what happens...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2011   #8
Microsoft MVP

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64 bit
 
 

Would you get that error message if that app was in fact only a 16 bit app?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2011   #9
ala

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BogdanH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ala View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Download a fresh copy ... it should work.

QQ Messenger - Download

32 bit version softwares run well on 64 bit OS. Sometimes some old paid softwares are to run using compatibility mode. As QQ is a free one, better you try a recent copy.

nop, i didnt work , i tried many copies, non worked, devastating, when i double click at the downloaded installation icon i get an error message saying (qq.exe is not valid WIN32 Application)

I never download software from sites like Softonic (link above) -you can't download software directly from there. What you get is "download tool" (bells ringing?) which after running downloads (whatever) software.
Whenever possible, always download from maker of software (in this case: Free Video Chat, Download ) -do I really need to say that here?

Bogdan
umm, yeah it rings some bells in here....the main website for qq hving some problems i guess, once i downloaded it from there, it takes soo long time (note that my internet is very very fast) n the download never finish, it stops by 1 mb or 2....means the main website hv problem with the server or something, so that downloading tools trying to get me the copy but also failed, so wat im opening is a corrupted file of the software n thats y im getting this msg, its not about 64 n 32 compatibility issues......this is how im analysing the problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2011   #10
ala

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Would you get that error message if that app was in fact only a 16 bit app?
yep...i think the file that im opening is corrupted, its not a 64 vs 32 problem.....does anybody have this software, i mean been downloaded it before, cuz i canot downloaded straight away from the main website, they may have problem with the server there or something, or mayb my country not supporting their server, can anybody download it n email it to me?? the main website is

Free Video Chat, Download

thank you very much
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 how to run windows 7 (32bit) software on (64bit)?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: how to run windows 7 (32bit) software on (64bit)?
Thread Forum
Running 32bit software on 64bit a OS - Performance Software
64bit or 32bit? Windows 7? General Discussion
W7 64bit:Ok to install 32bit programs outside the 32bit programfolder? Software
32bit or 64bit of windows?? Hardware & Devices
Software migration from WinXP 32bit to Win7 64bit General Discussion
How can i setup a software(for 32bit) in a 64bit system Installation & Setup
What is better 32bit or 64bit windows 7? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33