Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Best software for partition cloning?


14 Aug 2009   #1

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 
Best software for partition cloning?

Hi,




I'm wondering which is the best paid partition cloning software for Windows 7?


So far I only know of Acronis true image and Norton ghost.


Any more suggestions or posts of any past experiences with these or any similar software would be great



Thanks!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Aug 2009   #2

Windows 7 (RC)
 
 

I personally use Norton Ghost the most.
Mainly because of the GhostExp.exe binary that enables you to easily browse an image to extract files.

Oh, and if you haven't got it, take a look online for Hiren's Boot CD...an invaluable set of tools including the ones above - but please ensure you own a licence for running any of the licenced software on the disc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesR View Post
I personally use Norton Ghost the most.
Mainly because of the GhostExp.exe binary that enables you to easily browse an image to extract files.

Oh, and if you haven't got it, take a look online for Hiren's Boot CD...an invaluable set of tools including the ones above - but please ensure you own a licence for running any of the licenced software on the disc
Norton Ghost FTW also...very easy to use and pretty powerful
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Sep 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate [7600.16385] x64 & x86
 
 

hiya guys,
im just need your help to clarify something, before things go terribly wrong!
this is the way my hdd's are set up...

HDD0 - partition1 - Windows 7 ultimate x64
-partition2 - Data

HDD1 - partition1 - Windows 7 ultimate x86 - active boot
-partition2- Games Install

[both O/S's have the same Ultimate build string, 7600.16385]

using the software described above, would i successfully have a chance to clone the x64 partition, delete the x86 partition and put the x64 o/s in its place?
I realize that it will not have an active boot on that partition, so the windows 7 x64 install dvd 'should' find the error and repair it, wont it?? lol

basicly thats my problem at the moment, any help will be greatly appreciated


thnx guys












My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

From what I understand, your saying there's an error on the x86 partition and you want to just delete it and make it a mirror of your x64 partition?

Right now I'd suggest signing up for the Acronis 2010 Beta, since you can use it for free you should be able to easily do that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Sep 2009   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
From what I understand, your saying there's an error on the x86 partition and you want to just delete it and make it a mirror of your x64 partition?

Right now I'd suggest signing up for the Acronis 2010 Beta, since you can use it for free you should be able to easily do that.

Its a pretty good beta and its free
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Sep 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate [7600.16385] x64 & x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
From what I understand, your saying there's an error on the x86 partition and you want to just delete it and make it a mirror of your x64 partition?

Right now I'd suggest signing up for the Acronis 2010 Beta, since you can use it for free you should be able to easily do that.



hiya guys, thanx for the reply

u got it one ive been having few probs with the x86 partition and also im running low on space, so deleting the x86 partition and replace with a mirror of the x64 + deleting the original x64 partition should save space + remove the errors which were present only on the x86 partition

thanx again for your help, im off to download the acronis 2010 beta. thnx dude
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2009   #8

64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate (Free from Windows 7 Launch Event)
 
 
Can I Clone 64 bit partition With 32bit Software

Can I Clone a 64 bit partition With 32bit cloning Software?

I know that from a quick thought It's one of those, "EARTH TO STUPID. . WAKE UP" questions but on the other hand I think that in DOS it may not matter cause I think it's a bit by bit operation but I am just a seamen mentally flatulating but I am developed enough to know that I should ask the question to get that mental gas out of my head.


I have Norton Ghost 10. which came with a Norton Ghost 2003 disk also, will one of these work with Windows 7?
I also heard that a Linux Live installation disk can allow one to make a image, is that true? I have a copy of the Latest Ubuntu somewhere around here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I can say that Norton Ghost apparently does not work in Windows 7 yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2009   #10

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BruhthaKuga View Post
Can I Clone a 64 bit partition With 32bit cloning Software?

I know that from a quick thought It's one of those, "EARTH TO STUPID. . WAKE UP" questions but on the other hand I think that in DOS it may not matter cause I think it's a bit by bit operation but I am just a seamen mentally flatulating but I am developed enough to know that I should ask the question to get that mental gas out of my head.


I have Norton Ghost 10. which came with a Norton Ghost 2003 disk also, will one of these work with Windows 7?
I also heard that a Linux Live installation disk can allow one to make a image, is that true? I have a copy of the Latest Ubuntu somewhere around here.
If you make the image outside the 64bit OS, there's no difference with 32bit.

Acronis True Image home 2009 trial allows you to make a startup disk that will run even after 30days.

(it is in fact running on linux)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Best software for partition cloning?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Best software for partition cloning?
Thread Forum
Best free cloning software to protect against disaster Backup and Restore
Win 7 64BIT and Disk Cloning Software Suggestion. Backup and Restore
Solved Cloning Primary Partition Drive Backup and Restore
HP recovery manager or cloning software? Backup and Restore
Cloning software Backup and Restore
Win 7 Ultimate 100mb Partition & Cloning Installation & Setup
Clonezilla - cloning a drive to a partition Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33