hi Owdy, and welcome to sevenforums,
everyone's got their favourite, i like programmers notepad
- free and fully featured.
These is not an exhaustive feature list, but gives you some idea of the features present in Programmer’s Notepad.
- Syntax Highlighting for lots of languages, configured with schemes
- Multi-language user interface
- Unlimited number of schemes supported, powerful syntax
- highlighting supporting both user-defined and built-in schemes
- Text Clips provide smart templates for text insertion
- Code Folding/Outlining
- Docking windows for: File Browser, Open Files, Text Clips, Tool Output, Find in Files results
- Regular expression search and replace (full perl syntax)
- Excellent external tool support with user-configurable
- output matching – click on errors and warnings to jump right to
- the place in the file where they were generated
- Split Views
- Bookmarks (both numbered and plain)
- Export to HTML (using CSS) and RTF
- Code definition browsing and navigation (using Ctags)
- Non fixed-width font support
- Projects and Project Groups with multi-level folders and file system mirroring
- Scripting with Python
- Extensions support for developing add-ons with C++
- Support for UTF8, 16 and various file encodings
- Support for windows, unix and macintosh line endings
- Tabbed MDI interface, with multi-level split views
it's not as popular as notepad++, but it works for me!
the only way to find out what's 'best' (for you) is to try a few out and make your own decision.