Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: possible print-to-file incompatibility (NitroPDF and CutePDF)


21 Jan 2012   #1

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 
possible print-to-file incompatibility (PrimoPDF and CutePDF)

I want PDF print-to-file capability from the standard print dialog. I installed first CutePDF for this and later PrimoPDF without the Nitro reader. Both methods install a virtual printer in the print dialog, then they allow me to print to a file. The problem is that when I go to open the file, there is a message about possible corruption.

Note that my only PDF reader is Acrobat Reader X (the latest one).

What is the fix for this problem, please?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jan 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

please post that pdf file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2012   #3

 

Unless you need the full range of PDF options Nitro/Cute offer could I suggest you just install the PrimoPDF freeware print engine...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Jan 2012   #4

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Sorry, I can't post it because it is personal (bank statement).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Qdos: I had considered what you suggest, but I keep my files. I don't want to keep corrupt files if in fact that is the problem because then I would have to keep corruption-compatible software for as many years as I intend to keep the corrupt files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by broiyan View Post
Sorry, I can't post it because it is personal (bank statement).
You can for example print this page using cutepdf and post it as attachment.

Either acrobat reader has problems or the postscript-to-pdf engine you use.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2012   #7

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 
example of the problem

I attached an example file. This was produced by CutePDF and fails to open on Adobe Reader X.

It's a Wikipedia page less than 200kB as a PDF.

I would add that this Windows 7 system is a recent installation, less than 3 weeks old. Adobe Reader X was installed yesterday, and CutePDF and PrimoPDF (without the Nitro reader) were installed today.


Attached Files
File Type: pdf testpage.pdf (182.7 KB, 48 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2012   #8

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

I installed doPDF and it works. One difference is that I switched from Adobe Reader X (10) to version 9, however, I don't think that is the reason for the success.

One note: due to the default Win 7 security settings, when I select print-to-file and I am prompted for the filename, I have to supply the whole path since I do not have write access to the default directory. I proceed to put in a path such as C:\USERS\OWNER\DESKTOP\FILE.PDF. Then another dialog pops up prompting me to select more options for doPDF and there is yet again a place to put in a path and here I had something like C:\USERS\OWNER\DOCUMENTS\FILE.PDF. The file generated via the information in the second dialog: DOCUMENTS\FILE.PDF can be opened with Adobe Reader, in my case version 9. The file generated via the information in the first dialog: DESKTOP\FILE.PDF cannot be opened in Adobe Reader 9. It fails with the same message about corruption that I saw earlier with PrimoPDF and CutePDF.

If there are any insights into why doPDF has two dialogs for the filename, they would be appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by broiyan View Post
I installed doPDF and it works. One difference is that I switched from Adobe Reader X (10) to version 9, however, I don't think that is the reason for the success.

One note: due to the default Win 7 security settings, when I select print-to-file and I am prompted for the filename, I have to supply the whole path since I do not have write access to the default directory. I proceed to put in a path such as C:\USERS\OWNER\DESKTOP\FILE.PDF. Then another dialog pops up prompting me to select more options for doPDF and there is yet again a place to put in a path and here I had something like C:\USERS\OWNER\DOCUMENTS\FILE.PDF. The file generated via the information in the second dialog: DOCUMENTS\FILE.PDF can be opened with Adobe Reader, in my case version 9. The file generated via the information in the first dialog: DESKTOP\FILE.PDF cannot be opened in Adobe Reader 9. It fails with the same message about corruption that I saw earlier with PrimoPDF and CutePDF.

If there are any insights into why doPDF has two dialogs for the filename, they would be appreciated.
Don't print to file but print ot the virtual printer! It has notihing to do with acrobat reader!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2012   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by broiyan View Post
I attached an example file. This was produced by CutePDF and fails to open on Adobe Reader X.

It's a Wikipedia page less than 200kB as a PDF.

I would add that this Windows 7 system is a recent installation, less than 3 weeks old. Adobe Reader X was installed yesterday, and CutePDF and PrimoPDF (without the Nitro reader) were installed today.
Beginning of file you posted. It's a postscript file instead of pdf!! cutepdf converts a file to postscript first and should convert postscript to pdf afterwards.

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Title: Jeffrey Mine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
%%Creator: PScript5.dll Version 5.2.2
%%CreationDate: 1/21/2012 14:42:2
%%For: brian
%%BoundingBox: (atend)
%%Pages: (atend)
%%Orientation: Portrait
%%PageOrder: Special
%%DocumentNeededResources: (atend)
%%DocumentSuppliedResources: (atend)
%%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
%%TargetDevice: (CutePDF Writer) (2014.108) 0
%%LanguageLevel: 3
%%EndComments
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 possible print-to-file incompatibility (NitroPDF and CutePDF)




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: possible print-to-file incompatibility (NitroPDF and CutePDF)
Thread Forum
Print to file: Access denied General Discussion
enable print to file. General Discussion
cannot turn on File Discovery and File and Print Sharing Network & Sharing
Recording-editing live TV - file incompatibility Media Center
Solved Print-to-file then print-from-file ? General Discussion
Print file ends up in Queue Hardware & Devices
PDFs will only print to File General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33