Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CHKDSK taking forever on 60 GB HDD.


09 Feb 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
CHKDSK taking forever on 60 GB HDD.

i'm checking for errors on my secondary HDD and it's been stuck around the same spot for like forever (it's like 3 hrs into the error checking). B4 checking for errors, I already know that the HDD has a SMART event. If CHKDSK is taking forever, does it also mean that my HDD is gonna fail?

EDIT: finally it's done after like 4 hrs.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Feb 2012   #2

Windows 7 Pro with SP1 32bit
 
 

How many gigabytes of data was there to check. My external Hard Disk has 248 gigs of data and it took 114 seconds to finish running Check Disk. In the end I got the following message.

CHKDSK taking forever on 60 GB HDD.-check-disk-dialog-box.jpg

4 hours seems a lot on the high side and needs to be further investigated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2012   #3

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imeem View Post
If CHKDSK is taking forever, does it also mean that my HDD is gonna fail?

If chkdsk is taking forever, it's usually because your disk has a lot of errors which check disk is trying to correct or read from. Let it run. Check the logs to see what the scan found. Sometimes you can get away with a few bad blocks, other times it's a sign of impending doom. If you keep using the drive, make sure you back up religiously!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Feb 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wanchoo View Post
How many gigabytes of data was there to check. My external Hard Disk has 248 gigs of data and it took 114 seconds to finish running Check Disk. In the end I got the following message.

Attachment 197582

4 hours seems a lot on the high side and needs to be further investigated.
I only have 16 GB of data on the 60 GB HDD.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by imeem View Post
If CHKDSK is taking forever, does it also mean that my HDD is gonna fail?

If chkdsk is taking forever, it's usually because your disk has a lot of errors which check disk is trying to correct or read from. Let it run. Check the logs to see what the scan found. Sometimes you can get away with a few bad blocks, other times it's a sign of impending doom. If you keep using the drive, make sure you back up religiously!

This was what i got:

Chkdsk was executed in read/write mode.

Checking file system on D:
Volume label is Software.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
6400 file records processed. File verification completed.
4 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 0 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
7246 index entries processed. Index verification completed.


CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
6400 file SDs/SIDs processed. Security descriptor verification completed.
424 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
12792072 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
6384 files processed. File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
10471669 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
Adding 6524 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

58602495 KB total disk space.
16625820 KB in 5885 files.
3056 KB in 425 indexes.
86943 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
41860580 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
14650623 total allocation units on disk.
10465145 allocation units available on disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2012   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Hi,

You need to run chkdsk /R which will mark bad sectors so that data won't be written to these bad sectors in future.

Please run that, and let us know how you went with that.

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2012   #6

Windows 7 Pro with SP1 32bit
 
 

There are too many bad sectors on the hard disk. I think it would be wiser to save all the data that you can and replace this disk with a new one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2012   #7

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wanchoo View Post
There are too many bad sectors on the hard disk. I think it would be wiser to save all the data that you can and replace this disk with a new one.
+ 1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2012   #8

7 x64 | 7 x64
 
 

Fire up HD-Tune and run a check. If you see red, they are dead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2012   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Hi,

You need to run chkdsk /R which will mark bad sectors so that data won't be written to these bad sectors in future.

Please run that, and let us know how you went with that.

Regards,
Golden
nothing pops up when I run it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2012   #10

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

How old is that 60 gig hard drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CHKDSK taking forever on 60 GB HDD.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: CHKDSK taking forever on 60 GB HDD.
Thread Forum
Restore taking forever Backup and Restore
sfc scannow errors, chkdsk taking forever to complete BSOD Help and Support
Applications taking FOREVER to install. Performance & Maintenance
XP mode taking forever to load Virtualization
Shutdown is taking forever. General Discussion
7 ultimate taking forever to sleep Performance & Maintenance
Windows Update Taking Forever Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33