Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Uninstall Registry Helper

15 Feb 2012   #11
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

What is MWAM?

Did you do a System Restore or not?

And then attempted to use Revo as well?

I'm just trying to understand what you did other than Malwarebytes full scan.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Feb 2012   #12
SusanHC

Windows 7 and Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
What is MWAM?

Did you do a System Restore or not?

And then attempted to use Revo as well?

I'm just trying to understand what you did other than Malwarebytes full scan.


I do apologise for confusing you ! MWAM is Malwarebytes I abbreviated in wrong!

I didnt do a system restore, or uninstall with Revo . I simply did the Malwarebytes full scan and removed the selected items found, then did a quick scan with Malwarebytes. then I checked my REvo and the rogue software Registry Helper does not appear there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2012   #13
SusanHC

Windows 7 and Vista
 
 

Registry Helper no longer appears in my program folders or on my desktop so Malwarebytes seems to have done the trick. Many thanks for your help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Feb 2012   #14
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

You may well have removed all of it---I can't say.

Malwarebytes is a fine program, but not foolproof---nor is any other anti-virus/anti-malware application.

I can only tell you what I would do in your shoes:

I would still do a System Restore to a time prior to Free File Opener. That way you get your registry back to a state pre-Free File Opener. If Malwarebytes did a perfect job, System Restore would be unnecessary, but how can you know that?

I would then seriously consider an "imaging" program such as Macrium (a free download). It's another emergency tool to "restore" a system to a previous state that restores your ENTIRE Windows installation, not just the registry. If you are lucky, you would make an occasional image (say monthly or quarterly), but never have to restore any of them because you avoid emergency situations.

You might also Google about Registry Helper to try to understand how nasty it is, but of course that might only raise your anxiety level.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2012   #15
SusanHC

Windows 7 and Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You may well have removed all of it---I can't say.

Malwarebytes is a fine program, but not foolproof---nor is any other anti-virus/anti-malware application.

I can only tell you what I would do in your shoes:

I would still do a System Restore to a time prior to Free File Opener. That way you get your registry back to a state pre-Free File Opener. If Malwarebytes did a perfect job, System Restore would be unnecessary, but how can you know that?

I would then seriously consider an "imaging" program such as Macrium (a free download). It's another emergency tool to "restore" a system to a previous state that restores your ENTIRE Windows installation, not just the registry. If you are lucky, you would make an occasional image (say monthly or quarterly), but never have to restore any of them because you avoid emergency situations.

You might also Google about Registry Helper to try to understand how nasty it is, but of course that might only raise your anxiety level.


I see what you mean and yes I will do a System Restore and download Macrium as suggested and very much appreciate your advice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2012   #16
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

You can also go to this legitimate site and let it do a scan on your PC, similar to what Malwarebytes did--kinda like an opinion from a second doctor:

ESET :: Get a FREE Online Virus Scan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2012   #17
SusanHC

Windows 7 and Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You can also go to this legitimate site and let it do a scan on your PC, similar to what Malwarebytes did--kinda like an opinion from a second doctor:

ESET :: Get a FREE Online Virus Scan


thanks for that will do!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2012   #18
The Howling Wolves

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

All you need now is a BIG HUG and we are glad your system is up to par.
Have a great day.
THW
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Uninstall Registry Helper




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
IE Download Helper
I downloaded and installed Download Helper for IE. After installing, I opened IE and enabled it. I still can not see the icon to download a video from a web page. The instruction says to do the following if this happens: If you don't see the icon in the toolbar, you should install it,...
Browsers & Mail
Remove IE add on Password helper box
I have an IE add on Name=PasswordBox Helper Publisher= PasswordBox, Inc. Status= Enabled Architecture= 32-bit that I cannot disable or find in the list of programs to remove. Do any of you know what it is and how to remove it? Thanks.:tip:
Browsers & Mail
I can't find the IP helper
I ve searched in servces.msc but it is not there for some reason.I want to stop it but I can't find it, how do I find it?thank you
General Discussion
IP Helper & HomeGroup
I'm unable to start the IP Helper service. This issue came up very recently when I did a system restore. When the computer booted up after restore, there was an error in event viewer stating that "the IP Helper Service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be...
Network & Sharing
Download Helper for IE9
Foxfire has an addon called "Download Helper" that allows videos and images to be downloaded easily. Is there an addon for IE 9 that will do the same. I googled and found "Download Helper" for IE, but it said only for IE7 and IE8. Has anyone used something like this for IE ??
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App