Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: trying to make hirens boot cd into a bootable usb


04 Mar 2012   #1

windows 7 32 bit
 
 
trying to make hirens boot cd into a bootable usb

basically the title explanes what im trying to do but here's why im trying to accomplish this. i have recently purchasd a dell inspiron mini 10 mod #pp19s it comes without a cd/dvd drive since its one of those half size laptops. now i recieved it with out the previous owners password to the logon window. i figured at the time it wouldnt be a problem because ive used hirens before. problem is no cd/dvd drive. is it possible to make a bootable usb version of the cd and how please.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Mar 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kimoxxx View Post
basically the title explanes what im trying to do but here's why im trying to accomplish this. i have recently purchasd a dell inspiron mini 10 mod #pp19s it comes without a cd/dvd drive since its one of those half size laptops. now i recieved it with out the previous owners password to the logon window. i figured at the time it wouldnt be a problem because ive used hirens before. problem is no cd/dvd drive. is it possible to make a bootable usb version of the cd and how please.
Well, it's quite easy. You can follow this tutorial, readily available at Hiren's site.

Hiren's BootCD From USB Flash Drive (Pen Drive) » www.hiren.info

Also, take note that you can as easily format it in NTFS. And you can use the in built tool of Windows to format it.

So the really important steps to follow after formatting is Step 3 onwards.

Let me know if you need any more help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

You may use Universal USB Installer Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux to make your bootable Hiren pendrive.

You can also use YUMI YUMI - Multiboot USB Creator (Windows) | USB Pen Drive Linux which can boot from any of the many bootable ISOs you put in its belly.

In both cases, select Hiren's Boot CD in the drop-down box and show the location of Hiren*.zip.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Mar 2012   #4

windows 7 32 bit
 
 
thanks!

Thank you both for your time to try and help me! Ill work on your sugestions tonight! Ill post tomorrow how it works out! Thanks again!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Following oero27's way is the easiest, but if Hiren's is a ISO file then you'll need to mount it in a virtual CD drive or extract it with WinRAR, 7Zip etc... to be able to copy the files to the USB under Step 4.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kimoxxx View Post
Thank you both for your time to try and help me! Ill work on your sugestions tonight! Ill post tomorrow how it works out! Thanks again!
Let us know how it goes mate

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Duzzy View Post
Following oero27's way is the easiest, but if Hiren's is a ISO file then you'll need to mount it in a virtual CD drive or extract it with WinRAR, 7Zip etc... to be able to copy the files to the USB under Step 4.

Yes, it's an ISO file. I prefer it be extracted using 7-Zip. But I also personally use Freeware MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM(MagicDisc) Overview for mounting. It's pretty lightweight and does its job perfectly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Why all this fuss?

1.Download Hiren's Boot CD Hiren*.zip Download Hiren (500MB)

2.Download Universal USB Installer Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux It is just a 988KB .exe file. No installation is required. Run it.

Step 1. Select Hiren's Boot CD in the drop down box.

Name:  HBCDStep1.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  147.0 KB

Step 2. Browse to locate Hiren*.zip

Name:  step2.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  93.6 KB

Step 3. Select your pendrive and check format to FAT32 and click on Create.

Name:  step3.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  101.1 KB

In Progress:

Name:  In Progress.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  113.6 KB

Completed:

Name:  completed.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  77.6 KB

Within minutes your bootable Hiren Pendrive is ready.

Name:  Ready.jpg
Views: 12168
Size:  24.9 KB

A one-stop solution.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2012   #8

Win7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Tried the Universal Installer method but after booting from the USB, I kept getting the message "Option 'maps' requires a sector". This was with Hiren's 15.2. I tried Universal Installer 1.9.1.5 and 1.8.8.4. I tried fast and slow FAT32 formatting. I tried two USB sticks. I tried booting a Dell desktop and a Lenovo laptop.

So I went back to the "official" approach referred to in oreo27's post:

Hiren's BootCD From USB Flash Drive (Pen Drive) » www.hiren.info

I just used Windows to do the FAT32 format, then started from step 3. That uses grub4dos, which sounds ominous, but it's actually very easy following the instructions at Hiren's site.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mcbsys View Post
Tried the Universal Installer method but after booting from the USB, I kept getting the message "Option 'maps' requires a sector". This was with Hiren's 15.2. I tried Universal Installer 1.9.1.5 and 1.8.8.4. I tried fast and slow FAT32 formatting. I tried two USB sticks. I tried booting a Dell desktop and a Lenovo laptop.

So I went back to the "official" approach referred to in oreo27's post:

Hiren's BootCD From USB Flash Drive (Pen Drive) » www.hiren.info

I just used Windows to do the FAT32 format, then started from step 3. That uses grub4dos, which sounds ominous, but it's actually very easy following the instructions at Hiren's site.
Glad to know that this worked.

Although nowadays, I'm using YUMI - Multiboot USB Creator (Windows) | USB Pen Drive Linux.

This way, I also have the Windows XP Installer available on the thumb drive. It does prove helpful in some repair install cases that I come across.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2012   #10

Win7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Interesting, hadn't heard of YUMI.

One reason I wanted to put Hiren on a USB stick is so I could add extra files to the stick and access them from the Mini XP environment. Tested today with adding Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics installer. Once Mini XP was up, I just installed that (to the RAMdrive) and voila, I was testing the disk with the native tool. Did a similar thing awhile back with an SSD flash program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 trying to make hirens boot cd into a bootable usb




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: trying to make hirens boot cd into a bootable usb
Thread Forum
How can I make a bootable DVD? Installation & Setup
Solved How to use 2 bin files (“boot extract”) to make a bootable iso file? Performance & Maintenance
Hirens Boot CD Customization
Hirens bootable cd 15.0 and MSE System Security
Macrium users - Hirens boot CD Backup and Restore
Problems using tools on Hirens boot CD Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33