Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation


01 Apr 2012   #1

Windows 7 Professional 32bits
 
 
The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation

On some installers, when I attempt to install software, I will get an error that reads "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." I have seen this error multiple times, and it only appears on certain installs. Some installs it appeared on were Predator (See Here), and Heatwave (See Here).

I find this error frustrating, and have not yet figured out what causes it.
---------------------------------------------
OS Info: Windows 7 Professional 32bits

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Apr 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit SP1
 
 

Welcome to SevenForums benjetson!

Is this a system issued by an employer? These messages usually present themselves when you are trying to modify settings/registry/system files that have been protected by the system administrator.

If this is your system, try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt. Run this THREE times if errors are found. Restart the system after each attempt.

If the issue persists, you can attempt a repair install.

Brink has created a great tutorial that has instructions for a proper repair install. See the link below
Repair Install

My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional 32bits
 
 

Nope, this is my home PC, running Windows 7 Pro 32x. I'll try those solutions out, and post the results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Apr 2012   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by benjetson View Post
Nope, this is my home PC, running Windows 7 Pro 32x. I'll try those solutions out, and post the results.
You need to reset group policy settings. To do this, follow this tutorial from sevenforums:Local Group Policy - Reset to Default
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional 32bits
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by benjetson View Post
Nope, this is my home PC, running Windows 7 Pro 32x. I'll try those solutions out, and post the results.
You need to reset group policy settings. To do this, follow this tutorial from sevenforums:Local Group Policy - Reset to Default
I've reset the group policy settings with no luck, now I'm trying to do the system scan/verification command line solution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #6

Windows 7 Professional 32bits
 
 

Same error after the command line scans, ran it four times with reboots inbetween. It did not find any errors after the first scan. I really don't have time to to a repair install, is there another solution??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by benjetson View Post
Same error after the command line scans, ran it four times with reboots inbetween. It did not find any errors after the first scan. I really don't have time to to a repair install, is there another solution??
Try to system restore.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #8

Windows 7 Professional 32bits
 
 

I did a restore to about 2 weeks back with no results, I read here in a similar thread that it may have something to do with the "Software Restriction Policies" (SRPs) - See Here I have not set any SRPs to my knowledge, is that worth investiagting?

*Edit*: Could it have anything to do with my antivirus, Microsoft Security Essentials?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #9

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by benjetson View Post
I did a restore to about 2 weeks back with no results, I read here in a similar thread that it may have something to do with the "Software Restriction Policies" (SRPs) - See Here I have not set any SRPs to my knowledge, is that worth investiagting?

*Edit*: Could it have anything to do with my antivirus, Microsoft Security Essentials?
Do you have a system image from back when the system was working ok? If not, then try creating a new user account. Also, download and install malwarebytes. Permission issues is a good sign of a virus. Here is the download link to malwarebytes:Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Download.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #10

Windows 7 Professional 32bits
 
 

I have MalwareBytes, I scanned, nothing was detected as malicious. I'll create a new user account and try.

**Edit**: I've tried installing this from the built-in administrator before, and got the same results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33