Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: "Windows XP Pro", "Windows XP Pro 32-bit" or "Windows XP Pro 64-bit"?

09 Apr 2012   #1

Windows
 
 
"Windows XP Pro", "Windows XP Pro 32-bit" or "Windows XP Pro 64-bit"?

I have a "Dell Latitude D620", with a "Intel Centrino Duo" (2 core CPU, I think). T5600 @ 1.83ghz, 2bg of RAM and 80gb HDD..
It does not have an operating system installed on it..

I believe it was running windows XP pro because it has a sticker of the product key at the bottom.

I'm just confused about the whole standard/32-bit/64-bit OS and single/dual/quad CPU. I know there is some link (eg. 32-bit OS for dual and 64-bit for quad). But it's an assumption.
What is the best operating I should install on it for maximum performance of the CPUs?
The standard "Windows XP Pro", "Windows XP Pro 32-bit" or "Windows XP Pro 64-bit"?

Since I already have a Product Key (I believe it's OEM), it it possible to download the correct OS from Microsoft?

Thank you.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Apr 2012   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Eliran85 View Post
I have a "Dell Latitude D620", with a "Intel Centrino Duo" (2 core CPU, I think). T5600 @ 1.83ghz, 2bg of RAM and 80gb HDD..
It does not have an operating system installed on it..

I believe it was running windows XP pro because it has a sticker of the product key at the bottom.

I'm just confused about the whole standard/32-bit/64-bit OS and single/dual/quad CPU. I know there is some link (eg. 32-bit OS for dual and 64-bit for quad). But it's an assumption.
What is the best operating I should install on it for maximum performance of the CPUs?
The standard "Windows XP Pro", "Windows XP Pro 32-bit" or "Windows XP Pro 64-bit"?

Since I already have a Product Key (I believe it's OEM), it it possible to download the correct OS from Microsoft?

Thank you.
You cannot download Windows XP from Microsoft. I would recommend that you run 32 bit since you only have 2gb of ram. The difference between 32 bit and 64 bit are that 32 bit can only support up to 3 and one half gigabytes of ram. 64 bit, however can support up to 192gb of ram (only if you have Windows 7 professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate). I think you should go ahead and get a copy of Windows 7 32 bit because windows XP's support is ending exactly 2 years from now. Not only will you not recieve updates for Windows, but applications will stop being supported or being updated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #3

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Eliran85 View Post
I have a "Dell Latitude D620", with a "Intel Centrino Duo" (2 core CPU, I think). T5600 @ 1.83ghz, 2bg of RAM and 80gb HDD..
It does not have an operating system installed on it..

I believe it was running windows XP pro because it has a sticker of the product key at the bottom.

I'm just confused about the whole standard/32-bit/64-bit OS and single/dual/quad CPU. I know there is some link (eg. 32-bit OS for dual and 64-bit for quad). But it's an assumption.
What is the best operating I should install on it for maximum performance of the CPUs?
The standard "Windows XP Pro", "Windows XP Pro 32-bit" or "Windows XP Pro 64-bit"?

Since I already have a Product Key (I believe it's OEM), it it possible to download the correct OS from Microsoft?

Thank you.
You cannot download Windows XP from Microsoft. I would recommend that you run 32 bit since you only have 2gb of ram. The difference between 32 bit and 64 bit are that 32 bit can only support up to 3 and one half gigabytes of ram. 64 bit, however can support up to 192gb of ram (only if you have Windows 7 professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate). I think you should go ahead and get a copy of Windows 7 32 bit because windows XP's support is ending exactly 2 years from now. Not only will you not recieve updates for Windows, but applications will stop being supported or being updated.
Thank you for your reply,
So when you say 32-bit and 64-bit it's in regards to RAM, not to the CPU (dual and quad)?
I can use any Windows XP Pro OS on it?
I believe this laptop is outdated (crap), which is why it was given to me.. Lol
Therefor I an not willing to spend more than I have to, by 2 years I'll probably (hopefully) have a better one. I just need this for about a year or so to use wireless Internet (downloads) documents and iTunes. I will be moving around a lot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Apr 2012   #4

Windows
 
 

Also I may have problems in regards to driver compatibility if I install windows 7, I have to check the Dell website to make sure the drivers are comparable. I was advised they work good on Windows XP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #5

Windows
 
 

Compatible***
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I have several of those laptops. They run Windows 7 okay...but not great. Driver compatibility is not an issue. If Dell doesn't offer the driver, it will be available through Windows Update or from the component's manufacturer.

That being said, the platform of the OS has to do with the CPU's support....not the number of cores the processer has. If the CPU supports an x64 OS, then it is an option to install. The easiest benefit of an x64 OS is that it allows for 4 GB or more to be installed and recognized by the system. There are other benefits as well, but they get down to very technical details.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2012   #7

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
I have several of those laptops. They run Windows 7 okay...but not great. Driver compatibility is not an issue. If Dell doesn't offer the driver, it will be available through Windows Update or from the component's manufacturer.

That being said, the platform of the OS has to do with the CPU's support....not the number of cores the processer has. If the CPU supports an x64 OS, then it is an option to install. The easiest benefit of an x64 OS is that it allows for 4 GB or more to be installed and recognized by the system. There are other benefits as well, but they get down to very technical details.
Thank you for your reply,

So it doesn't really matter which operating system meaning (32-bit or 64-bit) with 2gb of RAM. Performance will be the same.

Say u were put in this position. You have a cd-key for windows xp pro and had the option to install 32-bit or 64-bit with the above specks..
It would be fair to say, install the 64-bit OS.

If feel like I've lost my common sense when making this decision.. Grrrr
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Apr 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

No, since you are talking about XP, the keys aren't the same for 32bit and 64bit. XP x64 would need it's own key. That being said, I wouldn't install XP x64 on any system at all. Driver support was really bad for a long time. It was basically a proof of concept product and not really meant for everyday usage. It paved the way for Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64, in terms of letting people prepare for x64 Windows desktop OSes. On those systems, with 2 GB of memory, I'd install XP 32 bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2012   #9

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
No, since you are talking about XP, the keys aren't the same for 32bit and 64bit. XP x64 would need it's own key. That being said, I wouldn't install XP x64 on any system at all. Driver support was really bad for a long time. It was basically a proof of concept product and not really meant for everyday usage. It paved the way for Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64, in terms of letting people prepare for x64 Windows desktop OSes. On those systems, with 2 GB of memory, I'd install XP 32 bit.
Thank you for your reply,

The information you provided me will save me a lot time. I will stick to the XP 32-bit OS.
Or consider investing in Vista or Seven. But then again, I don't think it's worth investing more into an old system..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 "Windows XP Pro", "Windows XP Pro 32-bit" or "Windows XP Pro 64-bit"?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33