Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What disc image tools are safe?


06 Sep 2012   #1

Windows home premium 32 bit
 
 
What disc image tools are safe?

I know they can cause problems, anyone know a safe disc imaging tool (like power iso)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Sep 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

MayBe this Could help you

Acronis:Cloning Software

Macrium Reflect free


Most members of the forum prefer Macrium Reflect.

Any software can cause problems if you dont read
instructions carefully.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2012   #3

WINDOWS 7
 
 

I Use Acronis.... not saying it is the best by any means .... it just ahs never let me down. I have read in the SSD section that there are some issues with Acronis and SSD disk alignment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Sep 2012   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I use Macrium. This tutorial shows you how to use it. Imaging with free Macrium
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2012   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tokennotfound View Post
I know they can cause problems, anyone know a safe disc imaging tool (like power iso)
Safe meaning they won't harm your original data, system files, and partition?

Or safe meaning they are extremely reliable--say 99.9% or higher successful restoration rate?

Offhand, I can't recall issues with harming original data from any of the major tools.

But successful restoration rate is another issue entirely. Judging from posts on this and other forums, I don't think any are what I would call "extremely reliable".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2012   #6

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KiwiXboxer View Post
I Use Acronis.... not saying it is the best by any means .... it just ahs never let me down. I have read in the SSD section that there are some issues with Acronis and SSD disk alignment.
I have successfully used Acronis 2013 to put an image on a SSD from a regular SATA drive. It worked fine. No problems and it was easy. I bought 3 copies for $60 from the User Group Relations web site as a User Group member. I don't have any financial interest but they do have good prices for Acronis. I think it is $25 per copy at the present for User Group members.

But, as was said before. RTFD is always a good bet.

Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2012   #7

Win7 Pro 32-bit, Win8 Pro 32-bit
 
 

I quit using Acronis when I tried to restore using it and it complained that the image was corrupt. Have been using Macrium ever since -- no problems. Recently, "migrated" a HDD install to an SDD, simply by connecting the SSD, running MR, and "restoring" the image to the SSD. Been working fine, no problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2012   #8

Windows home premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tokennotfound View Post
I know they can cause problems, anyone know a safe disc imaging tool (like power iso)
Safe meaning they won't harm your original data, system files, and partition?

Or safe meaning they are extremely reliable--say 99.9% or higher successful restoration rate?

Offhand, I can't recall issues with harming original data from any of the major tools.

But successful restoration rate is another issue entirely. Judging from posts on this and other forums, I don't think any are what I would call "extremely reliable".
Safe as in it won't **** with my laptop or give me BSOD. Daemon tools used to do that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
I quit using Acronis when I tried to restore using it and it complained that the image was corrupt. Have been using Macrium ever since -- no problems. Recently, "migrated" a HDD install to an SDD, simply by connecting the SSD, running MR, and "restoring" the image to the SSD. Been working fine, no problems.
With Macrium you have the option to verify an image before restoring it but I've never had one fail so I don't bother.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Sep 2012   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

If you have a Seagate or Western Digital hard drive in your system you can get a free version of Acronis.

Seagate DiscWizard

Acronis True Image Western Digital Edition Software
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What disc image tools are safe?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33