Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Right Clicking Disabled on System Icons


29 Sep 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 
Right Clicking Disabled on System Icons

Hi,
I have windows 7 64 bit ultimate installed with SP1
I am not sure when this issue began, it used to work just fine at one point months back.

basically certain system based icon, for example My Computer, Network, or anything at the bottom near the clock, such as Windows Update, or the Network Access icon
I can right click on it them, and click properties, but nothing happens, with Windows Update, the icon doesn't start the program. On My computer i can do anything, with right click function, rename, map network drive, manage, etc. just no properties.

I also noticed this in the Control Panel, for example, I click on Display, then i click on Adjust Resolution, nada. Calibrate color works, but Change Display Settings doesnt.

I am thinking there is some permissions issue but not sure where to start looking.

I have tried to describe this issue as best i can hopefully you can understand me :-)

Thanks in advance to all that reach out to help me with my minor frustrations.

Best Regards,
x81kilo

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Sep 2012   #2

win7 ultimate 32bit
 
 

what happens when you simply right click on an open area of your desktop? do you get a flyout menu with one of the choices being 'screen resolution'?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #3
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello x81kilo, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if doing a system restore at boot using a restore point (if available) dated before this happened may be able to help.

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Sep 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tman69 View Post
what happens when you simply right click on an open area of your desktop? do you get a flyout menu with one of the choices being 'screen resolution'?
Yes, I am able to click on it (Screen Resolution) that is, however I get Explorer.EXE (top title of window), red x and "No such interface supported" with OK button
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Sep 2012   #5

win7 ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by x81kilo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tman69 View Post
what happens when you simply right click on an open area of your desktop? do you get a flyout menu with one of the choices being 'screen resolution'?
Yes, I am able to click on it (Screen Resolution) that is, however I get Explorer.EXE (top title of window), red x and "No such interface supported" with OK button
are you using a custom theme? aero interface? (I don't get explorer.exe when I right click-but I may have disabled it--in fact the only thing I get when right clicking on any icon in the SYS tray is program functions for those programs--never 'properties)

try what Brink said in his previous post--system restore
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tman69 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by x81kilo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tman69 View Post
what happens when you simply right click on an open area of your desktop? do you get a flyout menu with one of the choices being 'screen resolution'?
Yes, I am able to click on it (Screen Resolution) that is, however I get Explorer.EXE (top title of window), red x and "No such interface supported" with OK button
are you using a custom theme? aero interface? (I don't get explorer.exe when I right click-but I may have disabled it--in fact the only thing I get when right clicking on any icon in the SYS tray is program functions for those programs--never 'properties)

try what Brink said in his previous post--system restore
What i meant was that when i right click on desktop, i do get the popup, its when i select Graphic Properties.

Trying to avoid system restore as the images i have are of recent ones after this issue started. so thats out for me.

Do you think i should give sfc a go?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Sep 2012   #7
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Sure sfc /scannow won't harm anything, and may fix you up. If not you may be looking at a Clean Install Windows 7 or a Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Right Clicking Disabled on System Icons




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Right Clicking Disabled on System Icons
Thread Forum
System reboots after clicking on shutdown Hardware & Devices
Solved Desktop icons become disabled General Discussion
Hide icons by double clicking General Discussion
Solved System Icons Disabled. Unable to change settings General Discussion
Solved Desktop was locked up. Clicking on icons had no action. Taskbar worked General Discussion
Disappearing menu when right-clicking icons on taskbar General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33