Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing MSI packages


31 Oct 2012   #21

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
It depends on how you move them. It's been noted on sevenforums that using the location property to move personal folders presents issues - I think you discovered THE issue that causes other issues.

There are tutorials on changing user folder/files and changing user profiles - but I don't want to send you chasing a different course right now. Try what's been suggested and if there are still issues or new issues, I'll probably suggest reading the tutorial and following those instructions. But for now......

D:\Users\Kevin has no security setting to allow Administrators or System access. give both full access
I noticed that I have both C:\Users and D:\Users and both C:\Users\Kevin and D:\Users\Kevin because not all folders were moved to drive D:. In that case, can I just copy the security settings of the two C folders to the two D folders, respectively? If so, is there a DOS command that can exactly replicate the security settings between two folders?

Thanks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Oct 2012   #22

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Sorry, I should have thought of that. You only changed the location of some of your folders, not your entire user profile. So, i should have just said - look at c:\users\kevin to compare.... good thinking on your side.

I don't know of any easy security copy - that doesn't mean there isn't one. There are only a few settings that need to be checked/changed so it isn't that difficult to do by hand.

The easiest by hand method is to have both properties up and simply change D:\Users\Kevin to match C:\Users\Kevin.

tip: I keep the reference properties on the left side (c:\) and the one I'm modifying on the right side (d:\) of my monitor since I read left to right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #23

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Sorry, I should have thought of that. You only changed the location of some of your folders, not your entire user profile. So, i should have just said - look at c:\users\kevin to compare.... good thinking on your side.

I don't know of any easy security copy - that doesn't mean there isn't one. There are only a few settings that need to be checked/changed so it isn't that difficult to do by hand.

The easiest by hand method is to have both properties up and simply change D:\Users\Kevin to match C:\Users\Kevin.

tip: I keep the reference properties on the left side (c:\) and the one I'm modifying on the right side (d:\) of my monitor since I read left to right.
Thanks for the compliment. And it worked!

But there is one thing that concerns. While the system is setting the security permissions of D:\Users\Kevin it skips some text files that are saved in my desktop saying that access is denied. These text files are not being accessed by any program (100% sure on that) but still this error occurs. This picture shows what I mean:



Is this something that I need to worry about?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Oct 2012   #24

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue. Run this way for a few days and if you're satisfied that things are copesetic, please return, post an all-clear update and mark the thread as solved.

Short answer: no I wouldn't be concerned.


I get those types of dialog warnings too - normally on NTUSER files. I'm not familiar with references Benchtop monitoring and diary files so I can't say for sure.

Some OS and App files are protected in the registry. The dialog is only telling you that it can't access the file, not what the security already is - so it might already be set to the appropriate sec level.

If you weren't experiencing issues with the App associated with those files before, then since you could not change the security, I wouldn't expect any difficulty going forward. To ease your mind, run whatever App(s) access those files and if you have trouble - post something.

PS: for future reference. It's great that you post screenshots, but it would be very helpful if they were a little more readable. Try posting individual screenshots that are pertinent to the issue. The forum automatically manages images and large ones become too small to read. luckily I know about magnifiers - lol

Thanks,

Bill
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #25

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue. Run this way for a few days and if you're satisfied that things are copesetic, please return, post an all-clear update and mark the thread as solved.

Short answer: no I wouldn't be concerned.


I get those types of dialog warnings too - normally on NTUSER files. I'm not familiar with references Benchtop monitoring and diary files so I can't say for sure.

Some OS and App files are protected in the registry. The dialog is only telling you that it can't access the file, not what the security already is - so it might already be set to the appropriate sec level.

If you weren't experiencing issues with the App associated with those files before, then since you could not change the security, I wouldn't expect any difficulty going forward. To ease your mind, run whatever App(s) access those files and if you have trouble - post something.

PS: for future reference. It's great that you post screenshots, but it would be very helpful if they were a little more readable. Try posting individual screenshots that are pertinent to the issue. The forum automatically manages images and large ones become too small to read. luckily I know about magnifiers - lol

Thanks,

Bill
.
Alright.

Hmmm, actually those text files are my personal text files. I mean them myself, hence the name diary.txt. The Benchmark Monitoring you saw is just a folder that I made that contains all the desktop shortcuts of programs for benchmarking the computer. I would understand this access denied error if they were system files but these aren't? But I can open them without any problems. Weird though.

Lol ok. Are you saying that I should just directly upload them here instead of going through photobucket?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #26

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Nah, after I posted, I realized the files were in/on your desktop. The Desktop has special characteristics that I never bothered to fully understand. Sure you own the files but SYSTEM or TrustedInstaller controls the security simply because of where the file reside. If it ain't broke......

It's not a matter of where you post it, it's the resulting image. Sorry, I didn't pay close enough attention to where the image was hosted.

Take a look at one of your posted images. See all of that "extra" stuff around the images that pertain to the issue? the images I grabbed from your big image and posted here, really focus my attention on what you're trying to tell me. Plus I can read them <older w/ eyesight getting worse every year =;>
edit: the images are blurry because i grabbed them from your larger image
so I added a Alt+PrtSc, paste in Paint example from my machine. big difference, eh?

To only capture the active window instead of the full screen, you can Alt+PrtSc and paste the clipboard in Paint, save and post. Or you can use the window capture option in the Snipping tool.

Thanks, it was great working with you.

Bill
.


Attached Images
    
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #27

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Nah, after I posted, I realized the files were in/on your desktop. The Desktop has special characteristics that I never bothered to fully understand. Sure you own the files but SYSTEM or TrustedInstaller controls the security simply because of where the file reside. If it ain't broke......

It's not a matter of where you post it, it's the resulting image. Sorry, I didn't pay close enough attention to where the image was hosted.

Take a look at one of your posted images. See all of that "extra" stuff around the images that pertain to the issue? the images I grabbed from your big image and posted here, really focus my attention on what you're trying to tell me. Plus I can read them <older w/ eyesight getting worse every year =;>

To only capture the active window instead of the full screen, you can Alt+PrtSc and paste the clipboard in Paint, save and post. Or you can use the window capture option in the Snipping tool.

Thanks, it was great working with you.

Bill
.
Ok, got you.

Wow, another thing that I've learned from you is the Alt+PrtSc shortcut, I didn't know that

Yeah, thanks too man. I will monitor my computer for a few days.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2012   #28

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Stick around, there's lots to learn here. Everyone is great sharing their time and knowledge.

You're Welcome
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2013   #29

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I'm wondering why some people don't experience the same thing as I did when relocating some of the folders in the user folder?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing MSI packages




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Installing MSI packages
Thread Forum
why cant i install certain msi packages no matter what i try? Windows Updates & Activation
why cant i install certain msi packages no matter what i try? General Discussion
Can not use codec packages with WMP after changing location.. Music, Pictures & Video
CBS Packages and PackageDetect files missing Windows Updates & Activation
Is it possible to deploy packages over the network with Windows 7? Network & Sharing
VLC Latest packages (1.0.5) Music, Pictures & Video

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33