Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Free software for prevention of data theft


16 Jan 2013   #1

Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit
 
 
Free software for prevention of data theft

Hello!

I'm looking for a software which asks for a password when some one tries to copy files from my computer to a pen drive or cd or upload to the internet. In other words I want a data theft protection software.

I know that even if I install such a software there are ways to get around it, but at least it adds a certain level of security. I did a google search and did not find any useful results.

Thanks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jan 2013   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

There are lot program can do this, like the 7-zip, you can put your files into rar format, it will give your the lock option.
this article introduces Five Best File Encryption Tools, you can pay a visit
Five Best File Encryption Tools

actually windows itself can help you to protect your file or folder by add protect password
Encrypt or decrypt a folder or file
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jan 2013   #4

Win7 Pro 32-bit, Win8 Pro 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Random Bob View Post
...I'm looking for a software which asks for a password when some one tries to copy files from my computer to a pen drive or cd or upload to the internet. In other words I want a data theft protection software.
...
What you're really asking for is read-protection on your filesystem -- which, unless you do full-disk encryption, you're not going to get.

The problem with encrypting folders and/or individual files is that, before you want to use them, you generally have to decrypt them. Somewhat of a pain if you use these files daily.

When you encrypt the whole disk, you have to provide the credentials BEFORE the disk can even be accessed, so, once into the desktop, you don't have to deal with decryption.

If you really want to protect your filesystem against read access, you should consider whole-disk encryption -- but you'll have to move the boot loader files to a non-encrypted partition before you do this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2013   #5

Windows 7 x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Random Bob View Post
...I'm looking for a software which asks for a password when some one tries to copy files from my computer to a pen drive or cd or upload to the internet. In other words I want a data theft protection software.
...
What you're really asking for is read-protection on your filesystem -- which, unless you do full-disk encryption, you're not going to get.

The problem with encrypting folders and/or individual files is that, before you want to use them, you generally have to decrypt them. Somewhat of a pain if you use these files daily.

When you encrypt the whole disk, you have to provide the credentials BEFORE the disk can even be accessed, so, once into the desktop, you don't have to deal with decryption.

If you really want to protect your filesystem against read access, you should consider whole-disk encryption -- but you'll have to move the boot loader files to a non-encrypted partition before you do this.
It should be noted that although full system encryption is eminently sensible, in use the system is unencrypted so any malware encountered might have access to your confidential data. Only unencrypting data as necessary minimises this risk so really it is necessary to do this as well even on a fully encrypted system to be safe. No point in having sensitive data open longer than necessary in my view. Also, although encryption can solve the issue of data theft it often cannot stop data being destroyed so important data has to be kept in additional back-up locations to avoid this possibility.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2013   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult. x64 Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Michael123a View Post
actually windows itself can help you to protect your file or folder by add protect password
Encrypt or decrypt a folder or file
This functionality is not available on a Home Basic version of Windows.

A better option might be to create an encrypted container and place your user data files within it:
TRUECRYPT - Encrypt Data Folders
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Free software for prevention of data theft




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Free software for prevention of data theft
Thread Forum
Notice from Data Execution Prevention Browsers & Mail
Solved mcAfee Data Loss Prevention - Need Release Code Software
Data Execution Prevention (DEP) System Security
A software that prevent laptop theft? Software
Study: Electronic theft surpasses physical theft System Security
Data Excecution Prevention in Office 2010 News
Data Execution Prevention Security Feature System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33