Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Logmein - performance problems?

05 Oct 2009   #1
schnoid

Windows 7
 
 
Logmein - performance problems?

I love Logmein. I use it more than physically sitting at my desktop. Actually, I'm using it even now to write this. What's strange is that when I made the leap to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 a few days ago, it seems that Logmein performance took a huge turn for the worst. As far as I can tell all my settings are exactly identical to how they were on my Windows XP setup. It also seems there is no additional load on my home network that wasn't there before. I can't quantify it, but there is definitely a noticeable lag when I'm signing into my Windows 7 box from the same places as before. If anyone has an idea it would really be appreciated..

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Oct 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
I love Logmein. I use it more than physically sitting at my desktop. Actually, I'm using it even now to write this. What's strange is that when I made the leap to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 a few days ago, it seems that Logmein performance took a huge turn for the worst. As far as I can tell all my settings are exactly identical to how they were on my Windows XP setup. It also seems there is no additional load on my home network that wasn't there before. I can't quantify it, but there is definitely a noticeable lag when I'm signing into my Windows 7 box from the same places as before. If anyone has an idea it would really be appreciated..

Thanks.
I dont have much in the way of log me in, but teamview is used extensively in win 7 and is free for home use.

good luck and hope this helps

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2009   #3
schnoid

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post

I dont have much in the way of log me in, but teamview is used extensively in win 7 and is free for home use.

good luck and hope this helps

ken

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't seem to create a user account for some strange reason, but I'll definitely see if I can figure it out. I've been very happy with logmein, so if I can continue to use it I'd like to stick with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Oct 2009   #4
ccatlett1984

 

i use logmein quite often, but I'm usually remoting from my windows 7 box, not to it. I notice no issues with slowdown when remoting into my other boxes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2009   #5
schnoid

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ccatlett1984 View Post
i use logmein quite often, but I'm usually remoting from my windows 7 box, not to it. I notice no issues with slowdown when remoting into my other boxes.
yea, I'd never had a problem before remoting from ANY type of box to my Windows XP box. Everything changed when I installed Win 7. I love Win 7 for many reasons, but not having LMI work well could potentially be a huge deal killer since I use it so often.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2009   #6
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ccatlett1984 View Post
i use logmein quite often, but I'm usually remoting from my windows 7 box, not to it. I notice no issues with slowdown when remoting into my other boxes.
yea, I'd never had a problem before remoting from ANY type of box to my Windows XP box. Everything changed when I installed Win 7. I love Win 7 for many reasons, but not having LMI work well could potentially be a huge deal killer since I use it so often.

Just a Question

Why use something like Logmein when RDP works just fine and you aren't dependent on any 3rd party application.

If you have a dynamic IP and behind a router you can use something like no-ip to get a free domain name so you can always access your remote computer.

Just allow RDP through your firewall and open port 3389.

If you've got a work firewall blocking this just "Tunnel" using putty.

Google for this -- I won't describe it here as some admins might regard it as "hacking" - bypassing a firewall but tunelling is a perfectly legit procedure -- all you want to do is logon to your own box. Installing Putty as well dosn't need admin rights either.

cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2009   #7
schnoid

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ccatlett1984 View Post
i use logmein quite often, but I'm usually remoting from my windows 7 box, not to it. I notice no issues with slowdown when remoting into my other boxes.
yea, I'd never had a problem before remoting from ANY type of box to my Windows XP box. Everything changed when I installed Win 7. I love Win 7 for many reasons, but not having LMI work well could potentially be a huge deal killer since I use it so often.

Just a Question

Why use something like Logmein when RDP works just fine and you aren't dependent on any 3rd party application.

If you have a dynamic IP and behind a router you can use something like no-ip to get a free domain name so you can always access your remote computer.

Just allow RDP through your firewall and open port 3389.

If you've got a work firewall blocking this just "Tunnel" using putty.

Google for this -- I won't describe it here as some admins might regard it as "hacking" - bypassing a firewall but tunelling is a perfectly legit procedure -- all you want to do is logon to your own box. Installing Putty as well dosn't need admin rights either.

cheers
jimbo
i get where you're coming from, but personally there's two main reasons I use logmein. 1) i can use it from ANY browser on any OS, and 2) I don't have to deal with any tunneling. Also i used to use a dynamic dns server with VNC, but you'd have to count on BOTH VNC to stay active AND the dynamic DNS server to auto update if your IP address changes. Needless to say I had many days I went without access because of a problem somewhere. Logmein has been secure, convenient, and very smooth for as long as I've used it, and until I went to Win 7, I was thrilled with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2009   #8
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there
You can also set up the Web interface version of RDP - although you would have to allow the ActiveX application to run on the client computer as shown in the diagram. This means that you will have to use IE as the browser of course.

You don't need VNC however. I only need VNC if I want to remotely access the GUI on a Linux box such as the KDE / GNOME desktop.

As far as Dynamic IP addresses are concerned I use the NO-IP system - this runs every so often on the remote computer and updates the DNS if the Ip has changed. Free service and is ideal for acessing a remote system behind a Router that has a dynamic IP address.

No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP

In the 3 years I've used this service - never a problem.


Cheers
jimbo


Attached Thumbnails
Logmein - performance problems?-webrdp.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Logmein - performance problems?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Slow performance with LogMeIn and Windows 7
I recently got a new PC (HP TouchScreen 610) with Windows 7, moving up from an old XP machine. When I used LogMeIn on the XP machine, it worked great... nice and fast with good "tactile" control. Now, with the latest version of LogMeIn on my new machine, it is way too "slow"; mouse movements,...
Software
LogMeIn performance horrible, even over direct fiber connection
Hi guys, I've been using LogMeIn to administer our office forever now. Well this Monday we finally went from a SOHO aDSL link (absolutely ridiculous), to a full commercial 100mbps fiber link. Now logmein was usable over the aDSL line with minimal eye candy. But with this MASSIVE upgrade, somehow...
Virtualization
Three performance problems in Windows 7
Hi! I've been using Windows 7 since 2010 and I got this problem/s: Problem 1: Windows detected a Hard Disk Failure Windows tells me to back up my files and contact the manufacturer of my PC. Yet, I notice no symptoms at all. So, I just chose to stop Windows alerting me for that problem.:sarc:...
Performance & Maintenance
Odd Performance Problems recently
Hi, i wonder if someone can give me a hint why my WIN7 (32Bit) on my Netbook feels so weird the last week. We went on vacation a week ago, so I made sure my Netbook was running fine with WIN7 and made sure I had all the stuff installed I needed on vacation when I got Internet. Now a couple of...
General Discussion
Gameplay performance problems [CPU AND RAM]
Hello everybody, i have some problems with my CPU performance and my RAM performance. Even when i listen to music via youtube and play World of Warcraft at the same time, my laptop gets stuck. he lags very hard, i had toplay then with 5-6 FPS. Problem is, that seriously my laptop should be...
Gaming
LogMeIn.com
I found a page recently about how to get LogMeIn to work under Windows 7. With LogMeIn you could remotely access your PC, and now it works with Windows 7 (or more so that it did but it kept failing with the install and now someone posted a workaround) by the way, you'll need to create an account...
Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App