Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Thoughts on a free office program

20 Feb 2013   #1

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 
Thoughts on a free office program

Have run out of installs with my 2007 and 2013 and am looking for a free one for the XP refurbish (running 7 of course) but I notice the ones I would have put on rely on Java and well am not going there.

So any thoughts anyone please?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Feb 2013   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Have you tried Libre Office?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2013   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I would suggest Open Office
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Feb 2013   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheJackster1 View Post
I would suggest Open Office
Oracle owned now. Most of the original programers started Libra Office.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2013   #5

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Yep problem is the Java they both have to have

I even thought about that Kingsoft the review was not that good maybe I'll just take a chance with the 2007 If it won't load well no big deal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2013   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x86/32bit Build 7600
 
 

well.. I actually use Kingsoft for my second office programs.

as far as now, Kingsoft does good and I like it much better than Open office (I have never tried LibreOffice so I won't bother saying). Kingsoft does not eat up your memory like Open Office does (when I used Open office, it ate up my RAM and hard disk - and I never use it again ever since). Maybe you have known from what you have read, but IMO Kingsoft has it plus - it can open multiple documents in one window with its multiple tabs feature. as a college student who's currently writing her thesis, this helps me a lot otherwise, the features are standards, just the same with any alternative office applications. you can change the UI of Kingsoft with your choice of themes, too, even though on the free version, you have very limited choice (as expected, after all).

it's just my experience using Kingsoft (I still have it on my laptop and never intended to uninstall it ), but last decision is always up to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2013   #7

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zephychan View Post
well.. I actually use Kingsoft for my second office programs.

as far as now, Kingsoft does good and I like it much better than Open office (I have never tried LibreOffice so I won't bother saying). Kingsoft does not eat up your memory like Open Office does (when I used Open office, it ate up my RAM and hard disk - and I never use it again ever since). Maybe you have known from what you have read, but IMO Kingsoft has it plus - it can open multiple documents in one window with its multiple tabs feature. as a college student who's currently writing her thesis, this helps me a lot otherwise, the features are standards, just the same with any alternative office applications. you can change the UI of Kingsoft with your choice of themes, too, even though on the free version, you have very limited choice (as expected, after all).

it's just my experience using Kingsoft (I still have it on my laptop and never intended to uninstall it ), but last decision is always up to you.
Thanks zephychan I just might give that a go then nothing tried nothing gained just the site I was looking at wasn't very complimentary but there again a lot of the critiques are not always right eh?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2013   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x86/32bit Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol
I just might give that a go then nothing tried nothing gained just the site I was looking at wasn't very complimentary but there again a lot of the critiques are not always right eh?
You're welcome.

I agree. well, as for what I said, it's my personal experience. I found Kingsoft is no different from OpenOffice, except it's more lighter, and have a plus on its few features which OpenOffice doesn't have. it's always on your hand to or not to try it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2013   #9

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

I've used Open Office (oOffice) for a long time. Oracle passed it on to Apache.

I tried LibreOffice and it felt like going backwards, yes many of the developers of oOffice jumped ship and started Libre - they took the code from that point and it doesn't seem to have changed much. I didn't like it, so I went back to oOffice.

Yeah, oOffice is a pig, but you can trim it down by not installing most of the discretionary features. I only use Writer, Calc, and Impress - I only need english, I don't write Python scripts. So install only what you use and need. I haven't benchmarked it, but it "feels" lighter than it did two or three years ago.

I dumped Java last year - oOffice runs fine without it.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvbfan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheJackster1 View Post
I would suggest Open Office
Oracle owned now. Most of the original programers started Libra Office.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Yep problem is the Java they both have to have

I even thought about that Kingsoft the review was not that good maybe I'll just take a chance with the 2007 If it won't load well no big deal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2013   #10

Desk1 8 Pro / Desk2 7 Home Prem / Laptop 8.1 Pro all 64bit
 
 

Oops a bit late Bill I already got Kingsoft on and there was a hiccup at first with freeze but seems to be working ok now.

Like you I rarely use the office stuff I just like to have the Word handy for pasting refs to
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Thoughts on a free office program




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Thoughts on a free office program
Thread Forum
Solved Free full featured office suite - SoftMaker Office 2008 Software
Free Training Manuals for MS Office Microsoft Office
if I uninstall office will it free up a key? Microsoft Office
Microsoft Office Wed Apps For FREE! Microsoft Office
Free MS Office Software Software
Buy Office 2007 Today, Get Office 2010 Free Microsoft Office
Free Office Microsoft Office

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33