Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: On-The-Fly File Sync?


14 Oct 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate/XP SP3
 
 
On-The-Fly File Sync?

I take a lot of Digital Photos and I usually organize them in a Photo folder on my extra HDD.

I have an External HDD that I'd like to use to backup those photos.

I'm looking for a program that I can use to synchronize the two folders just whenever I feel like it. I don't want something in the background ghosting my files; I just need to be able to update the folder on my External HDD after a shoot.

I would just copy them over but I have my photos organized by subject matter so I don't have tons of folders for every shoot. I used to do folders by date but it got to hard to find a particular photo because I couldn't remember when I took it.

Ideally it would be free software (Actually it has to be, I'm broke! :P)

Thanks in advance.

I honestly wouldn't have to do this if there was a "No to all" option when you replace folders with the same name. Then I could just drag the photography folder over the other, select "No to All" and only new files would be copied over.

Can I not find this or did they not do it in Windows 7? I never understood why there was always Yes to All but not No To All.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Oct 2009   #2

Windows 7 RTM Ultimate x64
 
 

i've been using viceversa pro for several years now. it is by far the best one i've found. it has a ton of options for synching, it's cheap and they have a 64-bit version as well. it recognizes modifications, deletes, additions, etc. so it can synch everything properly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Robocopy which is already installed. Command line tool
robocopy C:\sourcefolder1 D:\backup\sourcefolder1 /MIR /E
This mirrors the destination from the source. So, if you delete files from the source they are deleted from the destination. The /E does empty folders.
It's fast because it only does files that have changed or are different.

Karen's File Replicator: Same sort of thing, but comes with a GUI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #5

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

SBF

there is a free (i think) app called folder sync. can do manual scan. or be set to do it automatically
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate/XP SP3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Robocopy which is already installed. Command line tool
robocopy C:\sourcefolder1 D:\backup\sourcefolder1 /MIR /E
This mirrors the destination from the source. So, if you delete files from the source they are deleted from the destination. The /E does empty folders.
It's fast because it only does files that have changed or are different.

Karen's File Replicator: Same sort of thing, but comes with a GUI.
Robocopy seemed to work very well.

Can I put the parameters in a shortcut so I can just click once and repeat that task?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sagebrushfire View Post
Can I put the parameters in a shortcut so I can just click once and repeat that task?
Yeah, you can put multiple commands on separate lines in notepad and then save the file as C:\backup.bat. Then you can just run the backup.bat file and your backups will run. That's exactly how I do my backups...my file is C:\batch\backup2externalHardDrive.bat.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #8

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dnorris View Post
SyncToy is one of the worse ones. It does not sync deleted files. eg, files you delete are not replicated from source to destination.

Use Allway Sync: Free File Synchronization, Backup, Data Replication, PC Sync Software, Freeware, File Sync, Data Synchronization Software it is the best thus far for multiple sync even.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate/XP SP3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sagebrushfire View Post
Can I put the parameters in a shortcut so I can just click once and repeat that task?
Yeah, you can put multiple commands on separate lines in notepad and then save the file as C:\backup.bat. Then you can just run the backup.bat file and your backups will run. That's exactly how I do my backups...my file is C:\batch\backup2externalHardDrive.bat.
I had no idea you could do that. There are SO many cool things I could do with that!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by etegration View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dnorris View Post
SyncToy is one of the worse ones. It does not sync deleted files. eg, files you delete are not replicated from source to destination.

Use Allway Sync: Free File Synchronization, Backup, Data Replication, PC Sync Software, Freeware, File Sync, Data Synchronization Software it is the best thus far for multiple sync even.
Allway looks like a good program.
However, I'm leery of synching deleted files. That would be an easy way to lose your backup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 On-The-Fly File Sync?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33