Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Password organizer

31 Mar 2014   #11
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Infections love to take screenshots. The infection watches for the title of windows that are open and when it sees something like "bank" in the title, it takes a series of screenshots and then send the images out using an app that is already approved by your firewall... or the infection changes the firewall to allow it to send stuff out.

It is best (in my opinion) not to use a document that shows the actual password.

I would suggest KeePass (KeePass Password Safe).




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
31 Mar 2014   #12
jebsong

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Passwords in Word.

If you hide your passwords in a folder for something that does not attract attention and dont put words like bank , password hotmail etc in this document, it would be hard to find.

I have not not researched KeePass but if they do not have a phone number that you can call before you download I would not use it. These company's are using scare tactics to entice you to download their products! If you don't want to use word then write your passwords down and store them in a secure place.

That's just my opinion and if you like and trust KeePass then use it.

All the same I appreciate your advice!

Thanks!

jebsong
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2014   #13
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jebsong View Post
...These company's are using scare tactics to entice you to download their products!...
I agree. Companies do that.

This is not a typical company, it is a group of volunteers working on a very mature "product".
Acknowledgements - KeePass
I do not think that they care if you use their app. I've not seen any scare tactics from them. Unless you consider this a scare tactic:
Quote:
Also, you should use different passwords for each account. Because if you use only one password everywhere and someone gets this password you have a problem... A serious problem. The thief would have access to your e-mail account, website, etc. Unimaginable.
I'm not sure what you would want to ask them via phone - but hear you go:
Contact - KeePass
Sprechen Deutsch?

You would not need to switch from your current method until you were happy with KeePass (or any other tool). I've used this tool for more than a decade. I just move the one file from computer to computer. I also have the file backed up to servers in Utah via MozyHome free.

One of the reasons why I started using KeePass is: it can generate random passwords.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Mar 2014   #14
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Password organiser - device

Hi, so you're looking for a device to store passwords. One that's portable. How about a smartphone? (cell phone).

Lots of people swear by https://www.dashlane.com/

It's something you could look at. You'd need an iphone, ipad or an android mobile phone. That way you can securely access, see and manage your passwords on your computer and your phone.

Passwords are stored strongly encrypted on your device and all you need to access then is a single master password. Auto login to sites is available.

I've used Dashlane - it's not bad at all. I stopped using it and instead rely on memory - obviously an issue in your case!

As for other comments on using passwords stored in documents - there's lots of free software available that can scan your machine for personal information, passowrds, credit card info and so on and in many cases - find it. I've always made use of such software to check if information stored is actually secure. I also make use of anything that claims to extract passwords stored in browsers and understand that if software can extract passwords then so can malware/ spyware. Not to mention other humans who have access to your machine!

Hashed out passwords are really easy to read if you know how! So maybe test your own security - especially where you're storing sensitive personal information.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2014   #15
jebsong

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jebsong View Post
...These company's are using scare tactics to entice you to download their products!...
I agree. Companies do that.

This is not a typical company, it is a group of volunteers working on a very mature "product".
Acknowledgements - KeePass
I do not think that they care if you use their app. I've not seen any scare tactics from them. Unless you consider this a scare tactic:
Quote:
Also, you should use different passwords for each account. Because if you use only one password everywhere and someone gets this password you have a problem... A serious problem. The thief would have access to your e-mail account, website, etc. Unimaginable.
I'm not sure what you would want to ask them via phone - but hear you go:
Contact - KeePass
Sprechen Deutsch?


You would not need to switch from your current method until you were happy with KeePass (or any other tool). I've used this tool for more than a decade. I just move the one file from computer to computer. I also have the file backed up to servers in Utah via MozyHome free.

One of the reasons why I started using KeePass is: it can generate random passwords.
Hi Sprechen,

Thanks for the tip! If they have a contact phone as you say they do I'll give them a try.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Mar 2014   #16
ComputerGeek

Desk 1: Win 7 Pro x32; Desk 2: Windows 10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jebsong View Post
This is what my opinion is of LastPass and I think this might be the same for Roboform? I downloaded LastPass a few days ago and upgraded to the premium version. When I got it downloaded the first thing I did was try to watch a video tutorial on how to set it up which did not work because it was down for repairs or something to that effect.
Then I tried to download the manual because when I tried to set up the online manual side by side to follow the instructions on how to set up lastPass properly, I could not get the online manual set up side by side and then found out you can't download it to your computer! <snip>
@jebsong

I've been using LastPass Premimum for almost a year now with no problem. (In fact, I like it ) You can save their manual as a PDF.

If you use Chrome, open the manual in Chrome, select Print then Save as PDF

If you need a PDF printer for another browser you can install free CutePDF Writer
> Open the manual in your browser
> Then select Print in your browser and Select CutePDF as the printer

/* EDIT */
p.s. as fyi.. I also like LastPass because it offers a 2-step authentication option. I use it with YubiKey (a USB security device) so it requires both a YubiKey device inserted in the computer plus my password to access my account
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2014   #17
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
I do not think that they care if you use their app. I've not seen any scare tactics from them. Unless you consider this a scare tactic:
Quote:
Also, you should use different passwords for each account. Because if you use only one password everywhere and someone gets this password you have a problem... A serious problem. The thief would have access to your e-mail account, website, etc. Unimaginable.
That just sounds like good advice to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2014   #18
jebsong

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ComputerGeek View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jebsong View Post
This is what my opinion is of LastPass and I think this might be the same for Roboform? I downloaded LastPass a few days ago and upgraded to the premium version. When I got it downloaded the first thing I did was try to watch a video tutorial on how to set it up which did not work because it was down for repairs or something to that effect.
Then I tried to download the manual because when I tried to set up the online manual side by side to follow the instructions on how to set up lastPass properly, I could not get the online manual set up side by side and then found out you can't download it to your computer! <snip>
@jebsong

I've been using LastPass Premimum for almost a year now with no problem. (In fact, I like it ) You can save their manual as a PDF.

If you use Chrome, open the manual in Chrome, select Print then Save as PDF

If you need a PDF printer for another browser you can install free CutePDF Writer
> Open the manual in your browser
> Then select Print in your browser and Select CutePDF as the printer

/* EDIT */
p.s. as fyi.. I also like LastPass because it offers a 2-step authentication option. I use it with YubiKey (a USB security device) so it requires both a YubiKey device inserted in the computer plus my password to access my account
Downloading the user manual was just one of the issues I have with LastPass and a minor one. They claim that you can Chat but there is no place that I could find on their support page where you could start a chat. Also there is no phone number anywhere that I could find. They also say that they offer 24/7 email support which is not true.

jebsong
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2014   #19
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

I finished looking for about 10" and one would think that in running a Security type Company like Last Pass they would make it easier to get a hold of them in case their users had problems.

I did find this about their "contact system" : Contact LastPass.com | Shortest Wait | Best Support | GetHuman.com

I guess they only want to hear from their users by using their Forum: https://forums.lastpass.com/index.php

I was able to find a phone number, but I don't know how useful it will be: Lastpass Profile - Fairfax, VA 22031-2215 - Single Location 32515390 The address matches the one on LP's About Page
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Password organizer




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Looking for desk organizer
Since I cannot load my old copy of Lotus Organizer into Windows 7 can anyone recommend a suitable replacement programme? Not looking for bells and whistles - just a basic desk diary. If possible one that can read the lotus files?
Software
pdf documents organizer
Hello folks, Taxman cometh.... Planning to go digital before taxman stops by the door. I am looking into scanners and the softwares. I have sort of zeroed on a scanner, but I can't find the software for document organization. Please do not suggest me Paperport, that is what they used to use...
Software
Need a good MP3 organizer
Hi guys! I have this MP3 library worth >2 Gigs and about 50% of that is kinda having some problems like wrong song name, artist, year etc. Could you give some recommendations that I can use? Thanks :D
Music, Pictures & Video
Just used Reg Organizer and then rebooted. Aero is gone.
I just bought Reg Organizer and ran the registry optimisation, reg cleanup and disk cleaner. It then asked me to reboot, so I did. As soon as I logged in, The aero theme has gone and this is the list where I used to be able to select it.
Customization
How to get a 3d desktop organizer ?
Just wanting to know how to get it.
Software
game organizer?
I'm trying to find a program that can show me all my games at once. I tried windows game folder but that seems very slow and it acts weird more trouble than its worth. Is there anything that functions like it?
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App