Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Tuneup Utilities: Disk Space Gone after using TuneUp Shredder!

15 Jul 2013   #1
mukeshleo5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Tuneup Utilities: Disk Space Gone after using TuneUp Shredder!

Hi,

I have been using the Tuneup Shredder feature of Tuneup Utilities for quite a time. When it showed the option of "Delete the free allocated Space", I enquired about it but the answer was quite misleading on the website. So I ended up "Selecting" that option.

I have used it for a number of times. But now I find that almost 50GB (yes, that is quite precious to me) is almost gone! I can't understand where it's gone. I enquired on some forums then came to know that it was all because of that option.

I am very much worried about my disk space. Now that total size of disk is shown 50GB less! Please advice me what should I do to get back my 50GB space. Please don't disappoint me!
Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Jul 2013   #2
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Welcome to Seven Forums mukeshleo5.

The space mentioned is at the "end" of a file and should only be overwritten with the data. Tune up as far as I know can't delete HDD space. I've used it since 2005 with no trouble with the Guttman method of 35 over writes.

Name:  shreeder.png
Views: 6
Size:  40.4 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2013   #3
mukeshleo5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Welcome to Seven Forums mukeshleo5.

The space mentioned is at the "end" of a file and should only be overwritten with the data. Tune up as far as I know can't delete HDD space. I've used it since 2005 with no trouble with the Guttman method of 35 over writes.

Attachment 276573
Thanks for the reply.
I mean to say that almost 40GB of space is not shown in the disk management after using this.
I have a total of 320GB hard disk but its showing total size of ~290GB only! Where did the rest of space go? Please tell me how to restore it!


Attached Thumbnails
-disk-partition.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jul 2013   #4
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Ahh, OK. 298GB is about the correct size to be shown in Windows for a drive. The difference is due to drive manufacturers selling space in decimal size and Windows using binary mode to calculate size. You haven't lost any thing.
Here is my disk management showing how a 128GB and 500GB drives are listed by Windows.

-disk-space.png
As an experiment I attached my 320GB drive and it shows the same as yours in w7.
Name:  320GB.JPG
Views: 10
Size:  28.7 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2013   #5
mukeshleo5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mukeshleo5 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Welcome to Seven Forums mukeshleo5.

The space mentioned is at the "end" of a file and should only be overwritten with the data. Tune up as far as I know can't delete HDD space. I've used it since 2005 with no trouble with the Guttman method of 35 over writes.

Attachment 276573
Thanks for the reply.
I mean to say that almost 40GB of space is not shown in the disk management after using this.
I have a total of 320GB hard disk but its showing total size of ~290GB only! Where did the rest of space go? Please tell me how to restore it!
If you see my attached image, and if you see it closely you will find that the total size of all the disks is NOT EQUAL to 298.09GB (which it should according to you) ?

And what does the "Delete free allocated Space" means then ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2013   #6
Bongo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mukeshleo5 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mukeshleo5 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Welcome to Seven Forums mukeshleo5.

The space mentioned is at the "end" of a file and should only be overwritten with the data. Tune up as far as I know can't delete HDD space. I've used it since 2005 with no trouble with the Guttman method of 35 over writes.

Attachment 276573
Thanks for the reply.
I mean to say that almost 40GB of space is not shown in the disk management after using this.
I have a total of 320GB hard disk but its showing total size of ~290GB only! Where did the rest of space go? Please tell me how to restore it!
If you see my attached image, and if you see it closely you will find that the total size of all the disks is NOT EQUAL to 298.09GB (which it should according to you) ?

And what does the "Delete free allocated Space" means then ?
It adds up for me.

Jerry
-capture.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2013   #7
mukeshleo5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

SORRY!!! MY BAD!!!!!!!

But what does the option "Delete free allocated space" do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2013   #8
Bongo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mukeshleo5 View Post
SORRY!!! MY BAD!!!!!!!

But what does the option "Delete free allocated space" do?
Where do you see this at? Post a screenshot please.

Jerry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2013   #9
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote:
The Delete allocated free disk space option overwrites the space that becomes free through deletion, thereby increasing security of deletion.
From TuneUp Help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Tuneup Utilities: Disk Space Gone after using TuneUp Shredder!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
AVG PC TUNE UP,TUNEUP UTILITIES 2011 & GLARY UTILITIES PRO etc.
Goodmorning everyone Is one performance/cleaning program all you need or do they supply one another or am i (An Cleaning Imbicil).If i should choose i wood go with AVG PC TUNE UP.Advice needed Kind Regards Asser.:confused:
Performance & Maintenance
tuneup utilities
I just installed tuneup utilities 2011, and when i ran the free uo disc space option it said that it cleared over 19 gb of backups, in previous versions the freed up space would immediatly show up as available in my hard drive, now it doesnt change....any ideas?
Software
We need TuneUp Utilities or not ?
so , do we need TuneUp Utilities or software like that to maintain our system ?
Software
TuneUp Utilities 2010 - TuneUp Disk Doctor problem
Hiya!! I'm using TuneUp Utilities 2010 and i did a Hard Disk test and then it asked me to restart my computer because of hard disk test which is time to begin in next reboot, so i restarted it and disk test started to run normally while booting, i let it complete the test and when it went back...
Software
help with tuneup utilities 2009 on win 7
could anyone help me please i have tune up utilities 2009 and it was working fine with windows 7 build 7077 but since it's done it's updates it says that it's not compatable with my system , i really liked the programme so hope some one can help me or give me a programme that is the same as it and...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:46.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App