|17 Aug 2013||#1|
| || |
Windows Installer service stopping
Whenever I try to install or uninstall anything that uses windows installer, the service stops and I get an error from the program I'm trying to install or uninstall. When I open services.msc and go to the Windows Installer service, it is running and then it just stops—always when I try to install or uninstall a program and sometimes at random. The problem started after a failed Net Framework installation. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit.
sfc and Microsoft FixIt are unable to repair Windows Installer; isn't there any other way to repair it besides a clean install?
Things I've tried:
1. sfc /scannow = "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
2. Windows 7 repair/upgrade install = unexpected error
3. checked permissions on HKEY_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\msiserver
4. replaced HKEY_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\msiserver with the regkey folder from a working Windows 7 machine
5. created a new admin account and tried a windows repair install = same error
6. stopped and started Windows Installer Service countless times using various methods and tried both manual and automatic startup type
7. tried setting Windows Installer Service to restart indefinitely after failure
8. system restore = fails
9. Windows Installer registry key fix = nothing
10. Microsoft FixIt = unexpected error
11. booting in safe mode = no change
12. Startup Repair = no problems detected
13. chkdsk /f /r
14. 2 passes of memtest86
15. Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
16. Net Framework cleanup tool
I don't think it's a virus and everything is running fine otherwise. I've tried restoring from an image, but I suspect that the image was made after the problem started occurring (I only discovered this problem when I tried to update Net Framework and Microsoft Visual c++). I'd really rather not do a clean install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|My System Specs|
|18 Aug 2013||#8|
| || |
Did you check for infection? That should always be the first step in cases like this. Run a full Malwarebytes scan, in Safe Mode with Networking if necessary.
If it won't install or run then download and burn to disk, boot and run a full scan with Windows Defender Offline, or another of the FREE Bootable AntiVirus Rescue CDs Download List
If it cleans up infection then again check System Fils using SFC /SCANNOW Command
or if necessary a Repair Install.
To troubleshoot the Repair Install, establish a Clean boot by turning off everything in msconfig>Startup and >Services after Hiding all MS Services. Use the latest official installer provided in Repair Install tutorial.
As a last resort you can follow these same steps to get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 which will remain that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Windows Installer service stopping|
|Windows Installer Service cannot be accessed.||General Discussion|
|Windows Installer Service cannot be accessed||General Discussion|
|Help, damaged windows installer service||BSOD Help and Support|
|the windows installer service could not be accessed||Installation & Setup|
|Windows Installer Service||General Discussion|
|Windows installer service could not be accessed||BSOD Help and Support|
|The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed||BSOD Help and Support|