|25 Jul 2014||#1|
is there any better txt editor then windows notepad??
a lot of time I have to make notes and short document and go around, but ms office or openoffice usually are in format incompatible to other PCs, it may require lots of installation which is something I don't want when I want to be quick. Notepad are too trivial that no table can be made.
Any other solution？
|My System Specs|
|30 Jul 2014||#7|
There are dozens of text-editors available.
A lot are dead and have not been developed in years
- OR the forum questions have been ignored
- OR no support of any kind
These are my three suggestions
- my personal favorite, it is my default TXT, reader
- very simple and yet versatile
- a suitable one page of FAQs
- more features than Notepad
- precursor to Notepad++ (as acknowledged by Notepad++)
- has active URLs (optional) ... based on settings open an URL with single or double click
- always on top (optional) ... which MS Notepad does not do.
- option to swap pre-selected fonts with a single click. I use fixed width font to clarify some confusing characters
. . . ie, one, big-eye, small-el, zero and big-oh ... 1Il ... 0O
- custom color UI background with font change
- recent files (optional)
- portable ... optional by creating a "metapad.ini" file in the same folder as "metapad.exe" file
. . . I have modified File associations for all TXT files to open in Metapad
- tiny footprint
- I have been using Metapad for over 10 years
- suggest you keep Notepad for REG files
- I think it handles tables
- active URLs (for memory)
- color codes scripting
- more complicated than Notepad and Metapad
- very popular for writing code
- personally I find it over kill as a text editor but it has a huge reputation with programmers
- is not as simple as Metapad
- heavily weighted to programming script
... then there are these ... I was looking for a scripting editor
- Notepad2 - Software Informer. Replace Windows Notepad with this advanced text & code editor.
- Download E-TextEditor
- Vim - Software Informer. Vim is a highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient text editing.
... and then there is ... Google "text editor"
Hope this helps
After a very late night and time to reconsider my response.
If you want to include "tables" you would be best served with Excel spreadsheet
- Libre Calc can open XLS files and visa-versa (and so can other 3rd party spreadsheet apps)
- if your daily correspondence-out is basically the same structure each day, consider creating an Excel template (xlt, xltx)
Tables assembled in (eg) Notepad++ might be a shambles if opened in (eg) Notepad
- some text editors "tab" (spacing) are in fact "multiple spaces"
|My System Specs|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Similar help and support threads|
Trying to copy txt file in Notepad. "Notepad: Access is denied"
:mad::confused::cry: If I had known how much hassle Win 7 was I would have stuck with XP! Well I suppose its a learning curve.... Latest major hassle, I have a text file on my E:\drive, this is a copy of my XP C:\ drive before I installed Win 7 on it. I have now been able to get to it...
problem from replaced notepad ++ with notepad
I find some post that saying can replace our notepad with notepad++ so I do it but now it had a problem with notepad++ because when I open every *.txt it ask to create new file....like this picture
|Installation & Setup|
How to run Turbo C editor on Windows 7 without using DOSBox?
Is there any other way to run the Turbo C editor on Windows 7 without using DOSBOx? Something(some tweak or emulator) that runs it only by a double click as in Windows XP and earlier Win versions. With DOS Box, I have to mount the drive every time and retrieving graphics output is tedious. ...
Windows Media Player 12 + Tag Editor Plus
Hi.. Hi...I'm a newbie on Win7 64-bit and Windows Media Player 12. Previously, on my XP computer running WMP11, I used 'Advanced Tag Editor' to edit tags on MP3's. To do this, you simply opened WMP11 in Library View>Now Playing>Advanced Tag Editor. No problem. With typical MS stupidity,...
|Music, Pictures & Video|
notepad files run as registry editor
When I click on a txt file it keep pop up with Registry Editor. How do I stop this from happening so when I click on a txt file it open up notepad. The only way I am able to open it in notepad is by right click and hitting edit.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17.