I had the same problem when I upgraded from XP to Windows 7. What I did was create a new icon. Here's what to do.
1. Go to Google Images
and search for "Microsoft Works"
2. Click Show Options, click Icon in the options sidebar.
3. Find the image of MS Works 9.0 click it and save it to your computer.
4. Go to Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
and download the free 30-day trial for Axialis Icon Workshop.
5. In Axialis Icon Workshop, go to Help - How to (perform specific task) - How to create an icon from an image file. Follow the steps listed.
6. go to Help - How to (perform specific task), click on the Index tab - Save - Windows Icon, and follow the steps listed.
7. Now right click the Works shortcut on your desktop, go to Properties - Shortcut - Cange Icon - Browse, and select the file location where you saved the icon you created.
8. Click Apply - OK
The Microsoft Works icon should now be visible on the shortcut and it can be pinned to the taskbar, if desired.