Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Need some Help with VSS

12 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit - Retail
 
 
Need some Help with VSS

I'm using a backup software called Casper and having trouble trying to get it to run like it did in XP (it is Windows 7 compatible), but something is not making it work. Below is all the info that comes up in the event viewer and hoping someone can help me out.

First one:

Event ID 24620, BitLocker-Driver (I'm not even using BitLocker )

Encrypted volume check: Volume information on \\?\Volume{420c5ec5-ca8d-11de-85aa-806e6f6e6963} cannot be read.


Second:

Event ID 1008, Casper

Copy failed. A problem was encountered while attempting to copy Disk 1 to Disk 3. The copy did not complete.

Error: 6841.
Time Elapsed: 00:00:09


Third:

Event ID 8194, VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
Writer Name: System Writer
Writer Instance ID: {4cf6282f-39e8-4977-9f11-cafad430fe30}

Then on another VSS in the event view shows this below.

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{959b0477-cef4-11de-ae93-00123f7d4246}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly. Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Operation:
Removing auto-release shadow copies
Loading provider

Context:
Execution Context: System Provider


I'm assuming this has something to do with the VSS and Casper is not able to get permission to perform what it needs to. Thanks everyone.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Nov 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
I'm using a backup software called Casper and having trouble trying to get it to run like it did in XP (it is Windows 7 compatible), but something is not making it work. Below is all the info that comes up in the event viewer and hoping someone can help me out.

First one:

Event ID 24620, BitLocker-Driver (I'm not even using BitLocker )

Encrypted volume check: Volume information on \\?\Volume{420c5ec5-ca8d-11de-85aa-806e6f6e6963} cannot be read.


Second:

Event ID 1008, Casper

Copy failed. A problem was encountered while attempting to copy Disk 1 to Disk 3. The copy did not complete.

Error: 6841.
Time Elapsed: 00:00:09


Third:

Event ID 8194, VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
Writer Name: System Writer
Writer Instance ID: {4cf6282f-39e8-4977-9f11-cafad430fe30}

Then on another VSS in the event view shows this below.

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{959b0477-cef4-11de-ae93-00123f7d4246}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly. Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Operation:
Removing auto-release shadow copies
Loading provider

Context:
Execution Context: System Provider


I'm assuming this has something to do with the VSS and Casper is not able to get permission to perform what it needs to. Thanks everyone.
Yep. If you dont run bit locker now did you ever? If so the driver is still being loaded. You can stop the driver from loading either in msconfig, or by disabling the service in services.msc
It seems that casper cannot access root of C:\
thats also why VSS is crashing as well.
You might want to right click the drive icon and see who the onwer is and if it is bitlocked

Let us know if you need any help with this

Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit - Retail
 
 

I've never used BitLocker ever and when I right click on C: and go to security, I see that I have full control with everything when I highlight my name.

On my Casper software after it fails shows this too:

A problem encountered with the operation of Volume Shadow Copy Service. The copy was aborted (0x80070057)

I'm not sure what I'm doing that is making Casper not get access to the VSS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Nov 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
I've never used BitLocker ever and when I right click on C: and go to security, I see that I have full control with everything when I highlight my name.

On my Casper software after it fails shows this too:

A problem encountered with the operation of Volume Shadow Copy Service. The copy was aborted (0x80070057)

I'm not sure what I'm doing that is making Casper not get access to the VSS
Is vss running? go into services.msc and verify that VSS is set to auto start

Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit - Retail
 
 

Yes, I even manually started VSS and the setting is on Manual as recommended.

I was able to do a back up when i first installed my new OS, but now I can't. Makes me wonder if one of my software is messing with things, but I never had this problem in XP Pro, so I'm lost.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Yes, I even manually started VSS and the setting is on Manual as recommended.

I was able to do a back up when i first installed my new OS, but now I can't. Makes me wonder if one of my software is messing with things, but I never had this problem in XP Pro, so I'm lost.
Im sure something has changed it has to be logged in event viewer.

I dont use either VSS, or even the build in win 7 backup. I use Acronis.

Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit - Retail
 
 

Hopefully the tech guys for Casper can help me, but thanks for your input, I'll try to tinker it more and will boot into safe mode to see if the copy will work then and work my way backwards until I find out what's messing with my Casper.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit - Retail
 
 

I think I've found my problem, but need some input. When I go to manually start COM+ System Application in services, I get this message below.

Windows could not start the COM+ System Application service on Local Computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.


I am able to run Casper when I am in safe mode. Whatever is blocking Casper is also making system restore not work either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
I think I've found my problem, but need some input. When I go to manually start COM+ System Application in services, I get this message below.

Windows could not start the COM+ System Application service on Local Computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.


I am able to run Casper when I am in safe mode. Whatever is blocking Casper is also making system restore not work either.
absolutely. Virtually none of the drivers run in safe mode. not video, raid, audio, start up apps, etc.

You just have to use msconfig to add one start up item at a time till you find which one is giving you the grief. Or just use another backup app that doesnt use VSS, like acronis

Just saying

Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit - Retail
 
 

Does Acronis back up like Casper where it gives you a bootable drive? I don't like to just back up system files, with Casper, I have a bootable backup drive where I can just plug in like nothing happened if my main drive dies.

I'll boot in safe mode again and start up each one like you mentioned.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need some Help with VSS





Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33