Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to check all filenames on the folder ?

27 Dec 2015   #1
jk22

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
 
 
How to check all filenames on the folder ?

Hey guys,

I have 2 harddrives with all of files in a folder and I want to check if all files copy to next other drive or not. So, I was thinking if there is any software that can export those file list in a text file or any file and if I can compare both text file with Notepad++ and check the file transfer completed successfully.

Regards.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Dec 2015   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, but......

This command:

dir D:\Music /b /s > D:\textfile.txt

will produce a list of ALL files found in the D:\Music directory and all of it's subdirectories. The list will be named "textfile.txt" and would be found in the root of the D drive. You can make changes to that command to adapt it to your exact requirements.

A program such as WinMerge will compare 2 directory trees and tell you which files are found in one tree but not in the other---or which files are found in both directory trees. It's a free download that you should be able to find.

If I just wanted to produce a list of file names, I'd use the command. If I instead wanted to actually compare 2 directory trees to see if they matched after a copy attempt, I'd use WinMerge.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2015   #3
jk22

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you want to do, but......

This command:

dir D:\Music /b /s > D:\textfile.txt

will produce a list of ALL files found in the D:\Music directory and all of it's subdirectories. The list will be named "textfile.txt" and would be found in the root of the D drive. You can make changes to that command to adapt it to your exact requirements.

A program such as WinMerge will compare 2 directory trees and tell you which files are found in one tree but not in the other---or which files are found in both directory trees. It's a free download that you should be able to find.

If I just wanted to produce a list of file names, I'd use the command. If I instead wanted to actually compare 2 directory trees to see if they matched after a copy attempt, I'd use WinMerge.
That command is working on some folders but not on all folders. Is there any other command ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Dec 2015   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jk22 View Post

That command is working on some folders but not on all folders. Is there any other command ?
It's never failed for me.

Did you copy the command properly, with the appropriate spaces?

What folders did it miss in your case? A folder containing Windows system files? A folder containing only personal data?

What is the top level directory on which you are using the command? C:\ ?? D:\ ?? C:\stuff ???

I just ran this command while sitting at c:\ on a command line

dir /b /s > d:\textfile.txt

Within 10 seconds, it produced a 16.5 mb file named "textfile.txt" in the root of the D drive.

But I have no immediate way of knowing if it skipped any files. It may have skipped certain system files--I can't say.

But I certainly would not expect it to skip any personal data files.

More info needed from you regarding WHAT folders were not listed when you used the command.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2015   #5
jk22

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jk22 View Post

That command is working on some folders but not on all folders. Is there any other command ?
It's never failed for me.

Did you copy the command properly, with the appropriate spaces?

What folders did it miss in your case? A folder containing Windows system files? A folder containing only personal data?

What is the top level directory on which you are using the command? C:\ ?? D:\ ?? C:\stuff ???

I just ran this command while sitting at c:\ on a command line

dir /b /s > d:\textfile.txt

Within 10 seconds, it produced a 16.5 mb file named "textfile.txt" in the root of the D drive.

But I have no immediate way of knowing if it skipped any files. It may have skipped certain system files--I can't say.

But I certainly would not expect it to skip any personal data files.

More info needed from you regarding WHAT folders were not listed when you used the command.
Well it work on D Drive with a folder having notpad files. But it dont work on video songs folder which is located on D Drive aswell.

How to check all filenames on the folder ?-ss-2015-12-28-12.31.05-.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2015   #6
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jk22 View Post

Well it work on D Drive with a folder having notpad files. But it dont work on video songs folder which is located on D Drive aswell.

Attachment 378689
The DIR command won't work as you typed it because it doesn't like the space between video and songs.

Try it again by putting video songs in quotes, like this "video songs". It should run.

Anytime you have a space in the path, like video songs, you need to put it in quotes, like "video songs".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2015   #7
jk22

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jk22 View Post

Well it work on D Drive with a folder having notpad files. But it dont work on video songs folder which is located on D Drive aswell.

Attachment 378689
The DIR command won't work as you typed it because it doesn't like the space between video and songs.

Try it again by putting video songs in quotes, like this "video songs". It should run.

Anytime you have a space in the path, like video songs, you need to put it in quotes, like "video songs".


It worked. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to check all filenames on the folder ?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
after running disk check on an external hard drive,Folder and files di
plz help,my important files were gone! I have a 1T external hard drive( my passport Western Digital) .yesterday i right click on drive in windows 7 my computer --> properties --> tools --> check now --> and i check both these boxes : -Check Disk dialog box Automatically fix file system errors...
General Discussion
Explorer changes all filenames in a folder when i change one filename
I was organizing some maps on my PC, but sometimes when i change the name of a file (for example from " - " to " - ") it gives every file in that folder the name i gave the one file with a number on the end. I can't find any records online of people having the same problem so i thought i would...
General Discussion
How to Autofill Filenames?
I'm not sure how to word this question. I remember figuring out in Windows XP how to autofill filenames in Windows Explorer, but I can't remember how to do it anymore. Does anyone know what I mean and how to do it? So for instance, say I have 100 files that I want to name as XXXX01, XXXX02,...
General Discussion
Folder Detail Options: Name Check Box Lock
I've never seen this before and I'm usually very good at finding the problem on Google and solving it myself. But I've searched quite deeply and used the search history here just to make sure but it seems I'm the only one with this issue: Operating System: Windows 7 NOTE: I run Windows 7 in...
Customization
Minidump folder empty after BSOD,what's to check?
Sorry if it's a dumb question,but I've already enabled small memory dump in the Startup and Recovery settings. The directory is also the default one "%SystemRoot%\Minidump. But after I crash my system with installing SPTD 1.69,the folder is always empty. I wanted to ask for help since I couldn't...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App