Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Corrupted Uninstall list

27 Jul 2016   #1
mstallworthy

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
Corrupted Uninstall list

I cannot Uninstall programs - I consistently get an error indicating that the Uninstall list is corrupted. Is there a way to repair it?

Background: My system has been running very slowly for about a month but things like sfc and chkdsk do not reveal any errors. An attempt to install Windows 10 ends with an error code indicating possible incompatible devices/drivers so I decided to uninstall the things I could identify as either questionable or unnecessary and try again. Something went wrong during Uninstall (like maybe an insufferable delay and forced shutdown, not sure). In any case, when I attempt to uninstall anything now all I get is the error message.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Jul 2016   #2
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

Hi Mstall,
If you want W10, follow this link
Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Check at Dells homepage for your model, is it 10 compatible.

Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2016   #3
mstallworthy

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Mstall,
If you want W10, follow this link
Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Check at Dells homepage for your model, is it 10 compatible.

Roy
Actually I'd rather not do a clean Windows 10 install because of the number of applications I would need to reinstall. Very painful. I mentioned that only because someone suggested that might be an easier way to cure the slowness than trying to find what was wrong in Win 7.

But the BASIC problem that I am currently looking to solve is how to fix a corrupted Uninstall list in Win 7 so I can uninstall some software (e.g. ScandAllPro V 1.8) that is known to be incompatible with Win 10 along with a couple of other things I'd like to get rid of, and then I can retry the upgrade instead.

Anyone replying - please address the corrupted Uninstall file question, as that is what I really need at the moment. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jul 2016   #4
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

Hi Mstall,
that was the easy answer, as you've run SFC and CheckDisk, no errors reported
Malware springs to mind, Run Malwarebytes and Eset on-line.
Check your Devices again
any with an !, small black down arrow or an unknown device.
The other option is a repair install, you should have the disks as you have a tower.

Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2016   #5
mstallworthy

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Mstall,
that was the easy answer, as you've run SFC and CheckDisk, no errors reported
Malware springs to mind, Run Malwarebytes and Eset on-line.
Check your Devices again
any with an !, small black down arrow or an unknown device.
The other option is a repair install, you should have the disks as you have a tower.

Roy
OK, well I am in the middle of running a full backup at the moment and it's about half done (running about 2.5 hrs so far) so I need to wait for it. Then I am going to see if there is a checkpoint from before the first of the uninstalls and go back to that if so and see what happens.

Not sure I understand the last part of your message starting with "Check your Devices again" - could you elaborate on that part and the part about the !, black down arrow or unknown?

Also note that with this Uninstall list problem in existence I cannot Install anything new either, so any utilities that would have to be downloaded and installed are probably not a viable option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2016   #6
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

Hi Mstall,
see screenshot for Down arrow, the ! mark will also show if theres a problem
Unknown/problem devices will be listed at the bottom.

Eset might work as in reaility its not downloaded it runs LIVE, turn of any other AV and
run it via IE.

Roy


Attached Images
Corrupted Uninstall list-devman.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2016   #7
mstallworthy

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Mstall,
see screenshot for Down arrow, the ! mark will also show if theres a problem
Unknown/problem devices will be listed at the bottom.

Eset might work as in reaility its not downloaded it runs LIVE, turn of any other AV and
run it via IE.

Roy
Thanks - I will check that out. In the meantime, once the backup had finished, I did find a couple of restore points so I went back to the oldest one. That did not entirely solve the issue with the Uninstall, but at least it gave me a cleaner error message for which there is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article #KB2564571 relating to inability to write to the log file, and a solution. After applying that solution I am now able to uninstall programs so have gotten rid of the one I know is listed as incompatible with Win 10.

Now I'm going back to your suggestions to check for malware to see if I can get this machine unclogged, and then will work more on the Win 10 installation issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2016   #8
mstallworthy

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mstallworthy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Mstall,
see screenshot for Down arrow, the ! mark will also show if theres a problem
Unknown/problem devices will be listed at the bottom.

Eset might work as in reaility its not downloaded it runs LIVE, turn of any other AV and
run it via IE.

Roy
Thanks - I will check that out. In the meantime, once the backup had finished, I did find a couple of restore points so I went back to the oldest one. That did not entirely solve the issue with the Uninstall, but at least it gave me a cleaner error message for which there is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article #KB2564571 relating to inability to write to the log file, and a solution. After applying that solution I am now able to uninstall programs so have gotten rid of the one I know is listed as incompatible with Win 10.

Now I'm going back to your suggestions to check for malware to see if I can get this machine unclogged, and then will work more on the Win 10 installation issue.
Well - this was a highly unexpected but happy result. Malwarebytes found nothing, but following some its hints I had unplugged my Internet connection while it ran. When I plugged it back in, I found that my Windows 7 is now back to running lightning fast, just like it used to. Mysterious but no doubt related that Cox, which is my ISP, recently went "all digital" in my apartment building. While they swore to me when they came to install my connection boxes for my TV that this would have no impact on my Internet connection or phone modem, it appears that my slowness problem started when they did their switchover at midnight on July 1. I was out of town until July 5 so did not notice right away what was going on, but now that I think of it that's when the problem started. And no amount of turning off the computer or turning off the modem had solved it. But UNPLUGGING the cable between computer and modem and leaving it disconnected for an hour or two has worked magic!

Only good part is that I have learned a lot about diagnosing Windows problems along the way - but totally wasted a week or so too! Good thing I am mostly retired. Ugh!

Thank you so much for your help - I will follow your other directions before attempting the Win 10 update again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Corrupted Uninstall list




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
IE11 corrupted during Java updates, uninstall issues...?
Win7 Pro 64-bit laptop- Latest Java installed OK on IE11 from Control Panel GUI. When I went to install non-ie 32-bit Java download from Filehippo (IE still Default browser), a Windows pop-up said IE needs to Reconfigure/Restart Now!? Java had disappeared from IE, wasn't in FF either (showed...
Browsers & Mail
Uninstall or remove program list empty
Hi, i went to remove some programs and after i open uninstall or change a program in my computer it opens me only two last program that i install today but no others programs. whats problem? why i cant see all installed programs? i have windows 7 ulitmate SP1 last update
Software
Uninstall Corrupted Windows XP Mode
I have been using XPMode for a couple of years without serious problems. Today when I tried to open it I received this Problem Notice - "Windows XP Mode 1 could not be restored because one of the virtual hard disks could not be located. Make sure that all the virtual hard disk files of this virtual...
Virtualization
How do I remove a corrupted uninstall from the list?
I installed a game that I didn't like so i wanted to uninstall it but if needed me to upgrade something which I didn't want to do, so I removed the game manually. Most of the time if I choose to uninstall the game after removing the game manually it just gives me an error and asks me if I want to...
Gaming
Anyone know what an entry in Uninstall list called 6289 is???
OK, so I have been prepping for the move to SSD... been moving data off existing boot HDD, and uninstalling unused apps. I have a mystery app and google hasnt helped me ID it... it shows as 6289 in my uninstall list and says the publisher is Microsoft... anyone here know what this is?
Installation & Setup
Contact List corrupted
What's going on with my wife & I's Contact List???? We have seperate accounts on our computer (Win7 O/S and Live Mail) and names (contacts) in her list are suddenly showing up in my list and vice versa. Some names are showing up twice in both lists. I delete names from her list and 2 days later (or...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App