Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: PowerDVD 9 Install Error

08 Jan 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
PowerDVD 9 Install Error

After uninstalling and upon reinstalling, I get two error messages. The first says:

Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN/Components/F6E622E682BFF3395F33CDA210F1285D\9CA6158A1FAA9F747966302E4DDCCB84. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key or contact support personnel.

When I click "Okay", I then get this message:

Error: - 1603 Fatal error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information.

Any suggestions?



Attached Thumbnails
PowerDVD 9 Install Error-error-message-1-08-10.jpg   PowerDVD 9 Install Error-error-message-1-08-10-2-.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jan 2010   #2
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

Hi, Welcome to SF,

I have seen simialar issue with another software but the fix is kind of same. This happens when you don't have enough permission to those Registry Key you have mentioned in the error message. It quiet lengthy fix

First we have to Enable Build-in Administrator

Then Login under Build in administrator

Although, the GUIDS that appear in the actual error message which are beneath the parent key, are random. Please use the following steps to work around this issue:

1. Click Start under search type regedit.
2. Click Edit and select Find. The Find dialog box appears.
3. In the Find What field, type the GUID that was referenced in the error message and click Find Next.


Once located from the search, give the registry key adequate permissions:

1. Right-click on the key and select Properties. Click on the Security tab.
2. Click the Advanced button, then select the Owner tab.
3. Under the Owner tab, highlight the account your are currently signed into Windows as,
check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box, click Apply, then click OK.

Name:  2.gif
Views: 409
Size:  22.5 KB

4. Close the Properties screen, then reopen it (see Step a).
5. Click the Security tab, highlight User account you selected to be the Owner in Step d and click the Advanced button and then Edit on the Permissions tab.

Name:  3.gif
Views: 161
Size:  31.9 KB

6. Check all boxes under the Allow column. Click Apply, then click OK.

Name:  4.gif
Views: 84
Size:  24.2 KB

7. Close out of the registry and attempt the installation again.


Note: If you recieve the same error, but referencing another GUID after giving permission to the initial GUID that prompted the error, repeat the above section to search the registry and give the appropriate permission.


Hope this helps,
Captain


My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #3

Win 7 pro 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
 
 

If i am not mistaken, couldnt this be fixed by right-clicking the file and selecting run as admin from properties? Just my suggestion, havent looked into it, correct me if im wrong.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Jan 2010   #4

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Coolness View Post
If i am not mistaken, couldnt this be fixed by right-clicking the file and selecting run as admin from properties? Just my suggestion, havent looked into it, correct me if im wrong.
Yes you could, but it looks like there is a registry issue and Capt. Jack is assisting the OP in rebuilding the key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #5

Win 7 pro 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Coolness View Post
If i am not mistaken, couldnt this be fixed by right-clicking the file and selecting run as admin from properties? Just my suggestion, havent looked into it, correct me if im wrong.
Yes you could, but it looks like there is a registry issue and Capt. Jack is assisting the OP in rebuilding the key.
Alright. I stand corrected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2010   #6

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Coolness View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Coolness View Post
If i am not mistaken, couldnt this be fixed by right-clicking the file and selecting run as admin from properties? Just my suggestion, havent looked into it, correct me if im wrong.
Yes you could, but it looks like there is a registry issue and Capt. Jack is assisting the OP in rebuilding the key.
Alright. I stand corrected.
No worries old chap!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2010   #7
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64-bit | Windows 8 Pro - 64-bit
 
 

I have seen the same issue while we install SQL Server 2005 and 2008 only on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 unfortunately even in build-in admin Right click and run as admin won't work because we have to take ownership for the Registry key which the error message mention and i came across a situation where i had to do the same drill 47 times to get it to install. Because we can't even inherit the Registry key permission to the Root key but we have to give permission to each registry key. That took for me like 4 hours.

Hope that answers the question,
Captain
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2010   #8

Win 7 pro 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Coolness View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Yes you could, but it looks like there is a registry issue and Capt. Jack is assisting the OP in rebuilding the key.
Alright. I stand corrected.
No worries old chap!
Since when i'm an old chap? This is the first post ive seen you in
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2010   #9

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
How About Thousands of Times

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow View Post
I have seen the same issue while we install SQL Server 2005 and 2008 only on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 unfortunately even in build-in admin Right click and run as admin won't work because we have to take ownership for the Registry key which the error message mention and i came across a situation where i had to do the same drill 47 times to get it to install. Because we can't even inherit the Registry key permission to the Root key but we have to give permission to each registry key. That took for me like 4 hours.

Hope that answers the question,
Captain
CJS:

When MS Office stopped working, I wanted to uninstall and reinstall it, but certain sections of Office entries in the registry were frozen, i.e. granting permissions to no one. Because of this, the program counld not be completely uninstalled and reinstallation also failed--I think because Windows itself is denied access to these registry sectors.

I would like to see a fix that would put Take Ownership and Full Control to all keys and subkeys in the Registry Editor Context Menu that could enforce those properties even in locked-up areas of the registry. Alternatively, could the process described for taking these frozen sections down (taking ownership and granting full control) be automated with an option in the registry context menu on right-click.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 PowerDVD 9 Install Error





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: PowerDVD 9 Install Error
Thread Forum
PowerDVD Subtittle Music, Pictures & Video
Solved powerdvd v8 always wants .... Music, Pictures & Video
Solved PowerDVD Ultra v 8 Software
PowerDVD 10 3D Software
BSOD while using powerdvd 8 BSOD Help and Support
PowerDVD 8 Software
LG Cyberlink PowerDVD Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33