Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: RivaTuner 2.24 Not Running on x64


11 Feb 2010   #1

 
RivaTuner 2.24 Not Running on x64

I was trying last night to get RivaTuner to run on my Ultimate x64 machine, but I'm stuck on one particular issue... Hopefully somebody else would be able to shed some light on this.

It seemed to install without a problem, but when I try to run it I get an error with loading the 'rivatuner64.dll' driver. Looking at the file name it seems to be picking up that I have a 64-bit OS, and is trying to load the appropriate driver, but I suspect that it's not loading because this driver is not digitally signed...

I found a post on the BitBenderTech Forums (link) where the check for whether a driver is signed or not can be disabled; but I'm wondering if this will cause problems with other installs? To be safe, should I maybe disable it, get RivaTuner running and then enable it again?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Feb 2010   #2

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZaLiTH View Post
I was trying last night to get RivaTuner to run on my Ultimate x64 machine, but I'm stuck on one particular issue... Hopefully somebody else would be able to shed some light on this.

It seemed to install without a problem, but when I try to run it I get an error with loading the 'rivatuner64.dll' driver. Looking at the file name it seems to be picking up that I have a 64-bit OS, and is trying to load the appropriate driver, but I suspect that it's not loading because this driver is not digitally signed...

I found a post on the BitBenderTech Forums (link) where the check for whether a driver is signed or not can be disabled; but I'm wondering if this will cause problems with other installs? To be safe, should I maybe disable it, get RivaTuner running and then enable it again?
I think a good alternative maybe to try either evga precision or the nvidia overclocking tools ntunes.

I did not try Riva Tuner on x64 and I think I will not...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2010   #3

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ManOwar2 View Post
I think a good alternative maybe to try either evga precision or the nvidia overclocking tools ntunes.

I did not try Riva Tuner on x64 and I think I will not...
I've been using eVGA Precision 1.9.1, I like it because of the overlay in full screen apps where I can see both GPU temps and FPS, but the overclocking side doesn't work too well... I've never been a big fan of nTune, but for some odd reason it doesn't let me do much at all on Windows 7.

Since I flashed the BIOS on both 8800GTS's to the same version it's better, but Precision doesn't always apply the same overclock settings to both cards. I end up with one card running 600MHz GPU as I set it and the second dropping to a random number like 586MHz.

My next stop (if RivaTuner doesn't work) is ATITool; I've heard it also works on NVidia cards, but I'm not sure yet what it will do with an SLI setup...

Edit: On second thoughts, I'll just skip the ATITool idea, it doesn't work with SLI, only single NVidia cards or Cross-Fired ATIs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Feb 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Have been using RivaTuner v2.24 on Win 7 x64 Ultimate for quite a while now...works flawlessly. I also had some trouble initially. Here's what I did to get it working...

Just get a copy from RivaTuner (if you got it from somewhere else). The file is called 'RivaTuner224c-[Guru3D.com].exe' - it's a zip containing TWO files 'RivaTuner224MSIMOA2009Edition.exe' and 'RivaTuner224MSIMOA2009EditionDrv.rtu'. From what I understand it's the .rtu file that makes it work on x64. Anyway, just ensure they are in the same folder and install - then select 'Yes' when prompted to install available updates. That's it...should work without any problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2010   #5
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ManOwar2 View Post
I think a good alternative maybe to try either evga precision or the nvidia overclocking tools ntunes.
You realize that Precision is nothing more than RivaTuner with a few less options and a fancy GUI (same goes for the one from MSI), as it is written by the same person that wrote RT.

Also best place for help with RT,

Rivatuner Generic Discussion forum - Guru3D.com Forums

RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum - Guru3D.com Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2010   #6

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

when installing rivatuner it will ask if you if you wish to update, click yes. it is loading the rtu file at that point enabling it to run on x64 system
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #7

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
You realize that Precision is nothing more than RivaTuner with a few less options and a fancy GUI (same goes for the one from MSI), as it is written by the same person that wrote RT.
Yup, I kinda figured that when I got an error from the installer while Precision was still running.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by free3dom View Post
Just get a copy from RivaTuner (if you got it from somewhere else). The file is called 'RivaTuner224c-[Guru3D.com].exe' - it's a zip containing TWO files 'RivaTuner224MSIMOA2009Edition.exe' and 'RivaTuner224MSIMOA2009EditionDrv.rtu'. From what I understand it's the .rtu file that makes it work on x64. Anyway, just ensure they are in the same folder and install - then select 'Yes' when prompted to install available updates. That's it...should work without any problems.
Here's where I went wrong though, I didn't do the update... I just extracted the exe and ran it. Now that I know what the rtu file is for, I should get it working tonight then.

Thanks you guys, really appreciate the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #8

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ManOwar2 View Post
I think a good alternative maybe to try either evga precision or the nvidia overclocking tools ntunes.
You realize that Precision is nothing more than RivaTuner with a few less options and a fancy GUI (same goes for the one from MSI), as it is written by the same person that wrote RT.

Also best place for help with RT,

Rivatuner Generic Discussion forum - Guru3D.com Forums

RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum - Guru3D.com Forums
Ok good to know thanks. I had found them to work very much alike but did not know they had the same origin.

I use Ntunes now when I need to overclock...but even at stock speed my gtx 260 black edition (216cores) can handle almost anything...so I usually end up just raising the fan speed so ntunes is enough for me.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 RivaTuner 2.24 Not Running on x64




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: RivaTuner 2.24 Not Running on x64
Thread Forum
Rivatuner GPU Monitor Gadget Gadgets
Rivatuner and GTX260 Hardware & Devices
RivaTuner Graphic Cards
RivaTuner v2.22 out Drivers
Rivatuner problem Software
RivaTuner v2.24 Update Software
Rivatuner Fan Settings Resetting Graphic Cards

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33