Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WindowBlinds? Good or bad?

16 Jun 2010   #1
ebarn

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
WindowBlinds? Good or bad?

Has anyone heard of this program? Anything good or bad to say about it?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Jun 2010   #2
dunfiddlin

 

It does pretty much what it says on the tin! Some people swear by it, others swear at it. The only really bad thing you can say about it is that it costs hard earned cash to do a job that can mostly be emulated for free by the wonderful people who create W7 themes at deviantArt, virtualcustoms.net etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2010   #3
Product FRED

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

It's a good program, but I find it unnecessary and it a system hog since it's changing your entire interface.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jun 2010   #4
ebarn

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

So pretty much not worth the extra cash.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2010   #5
Product FRED

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
 
 

Nope. Just use custom Visual Styles. All you have to do is patch your system and you can use any Visual Style. I suggest deviantART and some other sites:

Theme - How to Apply Custom Themes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2010   #6
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ebarn View Post
Has anyone heard of this program? Anything good or bad to say about it?
On Windows 7 you can do some customizations that would have required modifying some system files on Vista or XP. For exotic mods you have to do more than that allows and might use a program like this. But I found that with some mods, while they look good out of context, if they use anything other than left justify in captions, the small dialog boxes and message boxes tend to have the text chopped. At least I haven't seen a center justify caption mod that showed all the caption.

Also I'm kind of leary of changing lots of system files. It might take a while to realize that some strange behavior that takes a week to show up is really caused by the modified system file. The more stuff you change the harder it is to pin down what got messed up.

I would start with the simple mods like from deviantArt and see how far you want to go.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2010   #7
ebarn

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ebarn View Post
Has anyone heard of this program? Anything good or bad to say about it?
On Windows 7 you can do some customizations that would have required modifying some system files on Vista or XP. For exotic mods you have to do more than that allows and might use a program like this. But I found that with some mods, while they look good out of context, if they use anything other than left justify in captions, the small dialog boxes and message boxes tend to have the text chopped. At least I haven't seen a center justify caption mod that showed all the caption.

Also I'm kind of leary of changing lots of system files. It might take a while to realize that some strange behavior that takes a week to show up is really caused by the modified system file. The more stuff you change the harder it is to pin down what got messed up.

I would start with the simple mods like from deviantArt and see how far you want to go.
That's what I figured. I'm a bit mindful at changing the system files... Especially for something as aesthetic as a theme... Is it worth it in the long run? Prob. not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2010   #8
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

WindowBlinds doesn't change any system files, it's an addon. In fact I think it is the deviantART themes that you need to change things for (could be wrong). WindowBlinds has always worked well for me. If in doubt, I think there's a 30-day free trial and you can just uninstall it if you don't like it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2010   #9
ebarn

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
WindowBlinds doesn't change any system files, it's an addon. In fact I think it is the deviantART themes that you need to change things for (could be wrong). WindowBlinds has always worked well for me. If in doubt, I think there's a 30-day free trial and you can just uninstall it if you don't like it.
The .wba files don't patch anything in the system to change the icons and customize everything?

How much memory does it consume while open?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2010   #10
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ebarn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
WindowBlinds doesn't change any system files, it's an addon. In fact I think it is the deviantART themes that you need to change things for (could be wrong). WindowBlinds has always worked well for me. If in doubt, I think there's a 30-day free trial and you can just uninstall it if you don't like it.
The .wba files don't patch anything in the system to change the icons and customize everything?

How much memory does it consume while open?
As far as I've ever known, WindowBlinds doesn't patch anything. One of its claims to fame. You can install/uninstall it at will.

I'll get back to you on the memory usage shortly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WindowBlinds? Good or bad?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windowblinds 7 VS custom shell
is windowblinds 7 worth the money? is it really as good as everyone seems to think, reliable? does it have better themes than custom shell? ive been using custom shell for a while but while browsing the deviantart i found windowblinds underneath windows 7 styles and had a look. my question is: ...
Customization
WindowBlinds...
Juz 1 2 ask,can i use WindowBlinds application.4 info,i already use patcher to enable theme.
Customization
WindowBlinds : Is it worth it
Hey there guys! I was wondering... is WindowBlinds worth it to skin Windows? I don't really want to do it myself and when I tried to do it myself, I had so much problems with permissions that it became a chore just to apply a skin. Do anybody got any problems with it? Is it worth it? Thanks!
Customization
Windows 7 themes without the need of WindowBlinds
I know from my old computer which had Windows XP Home Edition SP 3, that you can install windows shell themes without the need of WindowBlinds. I don't like the program, so is there any possibility in Windows 7 too? You can change the look and colors of the taskbar etc, but I just want new...
Themes and Styles
WindowBlinds Skins Vs. Windows 7 UI
Hey there. I want to know if people out there really like their Windows skins or if they are customizing the look of their PC with WindowBlinds, etc. Are people bored of the same old. maybe trying to get skins that looks like EVEN, Mac OS X. I liked the Vista taskbar and system tray but not in...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App