Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: FREE Great Programs for Windows 7

20 Sep 2009   #571
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Thanks - that's quite odd.

I will download it - would be very surprised if it does image partitions.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSchaft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Where did you see this bit:

Quote:
Comodo BackUp includes a variety of backups such as disk and partition backup
It looks to me like the free one is only a file backup program - not a sector based image program.

Unless I missed something.

On the "Features" tab it says:

Quote:
Backup Presets for commonly used and important files
One - click back up of user settings, Windows registry and system partition
On the download page there's a link to the release notes which I grabbed for my post. That contains the line you quoted.

You can also see it in the screenshot at MajorGeeks, |MG| Comodo BackUp 2.0.1008800.9 Download



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Sep 2009   #572
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

I just tried Comodo Backup.

Can't recommend it.

It took 14 mins to back up a small partition - very high cpu usage - peaking at 63%.

[In comparison, Paragon took 8 minutes and max cpu usage was 11%. Macrium Free is even faster - max cpu 22%. Both of these have bootable restore discs ]

The compression level on Medium was decent - but the only way to restore the image is to start the restore from within Windows. If the destination is in use - it will restore at the next reboot.

No use at all if you can't get into Windows.

To be fair, it seems to be primarily a file/folder backup program - imaging thrown in as an extra. It will also backup the registry in what appears to be a backup of the hives - better than .reg files.

Unfortunately - all of the above are in proprietary.cbu format. You couldn't, for example boot the 7 dvd and use the cmd to restore the registry from that backup.

Completely useless if you can't get in to Windows.

That's a shame - was hoping it would be a viable alternative to Macrium Free. Sadly, it's not anywhere near the same league.

Probably worth a look if you are interested in a file /folder backup app.

For imaging your partitions/drives - use something else.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #573
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dogz View Post
Sorry Dogz,

AVG pro is just a trial version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Sep 2009   #574
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
I just tried Comodo Backup.

Can't recommend it.

It took 14 mins to back up a small partition - very high cpu usage - peaking at 63%.

[In comparison, Paragon took 8 minutes and max cpu usage was 11%. Macrium Free is even faster - max cpu 22%. Both of these have bootable restore discs ]

The compression level on Medium was decent - but the only way to restore the image is to start the restore from within Windows. If the destination is in use - it will restore at the next reboot.

No use at all if you can't get into Windows.

To be fair, it seems to be primarily a file/folder backup program - imaging thrown in as an extra. It will also backup the registry in what appears to be a backup of the hives - better than .reg files.

Unfortunately - all of the above are in proprietary.cbu format. You couldn't, for example boot the 7 dvd and use the cmd to restore the registry from that backup.

Completely useless if you can't get in to Windows.

That's a shame - was hoping it would be a viable alternative to Macrium Free. Sadly, it's not anywhere near the same league.

Probably worth a look if you are interested in a file /folder backup app.

For imaging your partitions/drives - use something else.

Different tools appeal to different folks. I rarely backup a full partition,so that was not a deal breaker for me. I just thought this was another interesting alternative.

I'll probably stick with GFI Backup Home Edition Features and Karen's Replicator for the backups I do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #575
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Thanks for suggesting it. I like to try out new apps.

It probably works well for file/folder backups - it offers to back up WLM , which GFI doesn't, so it may be worth investigating from that perspective.

It just wasn't what I was hoping it would be with the imaging functions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #576
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Thanks for suggesting it. I like to try out new apps.

It probably works well for file/folder backups - it offers to back up WLM , which GFI doesn't, so it may be worth investigating from that perspective.

It just wasn't what I was hoping it would be with the imaging functions.
Understood. I like trying out new apps too.

FWIW, I use KLS Mail Backup (KLS Mail Backup - Freeware Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, Firefox backup) for my wife's WLM.

I was pleasantly suprised when I did a restore to Windows 7 from the WLM XP archive - it brought back everything but the passwords for all of the accounts, including all contacts and rules.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #577
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Yes, thanks I looked at that previously.

Shame GFI doesn't do it - and another app. is needed.

This works very well - the free one only does WLMail - small, fast, effective: ( they have other individual apps for free - or one that includes lots of functions - not free)

Products - StaticBackup Inc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #578
missaaliyah

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
 
 

I dont know if anyones mentioned MP3 Tag Editor.
Mp3tag - Download
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #579
Airbot

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Sep 2009   #580
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by missaaliyah View Post
I dont know if anyones mentioned MP3 Tag Editor.
Mp3tag - Download
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Airbot View Post
Thank you Aaliyah and Aaron. Both added.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 FREE Great Programs for Windows 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
FREE Great Programs for Windows 7 [2]
Continued from - http://www.sevenforums.com/software/92-free-great-programs-windows-7-a-196.html FREE Great Programs for Windows 7 These are completely FREE programs for Windows 7. I have tested all of these programs below without any problems in the 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7...
Software
Free Great Programs For Windows
I scrolled down to the Macrium Reflect Free entry, clicked on the link, only to find it goes right to C/NET with no choice (at least I didn't see one) but to use their "agent" to download. I also tried Major Geeks and got the same "agent" trash. Does anyone know of a safe site to download...
Software
Great partition manager Free today
Aomei do an excellent free partition Assistant. Today on GOTD - they are giving away the pro version. Highly recommended. It has the ability to make winpe boot media (tho you do need WAIK.WADK download from MS - similar to the way macrium does it ). This version doesn't support 4096...
Software
Great free copy/move app
I really like this free app. (but find the latest beta version works better in 7. There is a paid pro version that adds little that the free version doesn't have. The free version basically has everything most users would need. One thing I really like about it is by default it gives you more...
Software
Loads of free great quality Walls
Try this software out, it works like a charm on Windows 7, very easy to use as well.... Dream Desktop - New Wallpapers Loads of very nice images.
Themes and Styles
Free Partition Software. Great Offer
Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Today: Partition Manager 10.0 Personal (English) - Special offer for our GAOTD users ? Partitioning for Windows 7 and 64-bit version support!We want to thank you for ... Check this out gang. This is a great offer.
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App