Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Another 5.1 Surround sound issue for Win7

26 Dec 2010   #1
Mariusbinx

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Another 5.1 Surround sound issue for Win7

I'm decent with computers, but don't know much about sound cards, so I'll be using some screen caps.

I just bought some new speakers, the Logitech Z506s (front left/right, center, rear left/right, subwoofer). They are connected to laptop via a single cable, jacked into my single audio out.

Stuff that works:
- All the speakers produce sound, the speakers themselves convert audio signals to 5.1 (though with limited quality, not true 5.1)

That's it.
The problem is I am unable to set 5.1 Surround via Win7's sound config, or even test speakers. I know the audio is not playing true 5.1 as I've downloaded 5.1 test mp3s. I would like this to function as true 5.1 as the laptop is fairly new, and I had no reason to think the soundcard/motherboard/whatever else controls this, would be incapable.

I am using a Sony Vaio VPCF115FM laptop, which uses Realtek and Nvidia.
This is NOT an upgrade from XP or Vista to Win7, according to the device manager all audio drivers ARE up-to-date, my laptop was preinstalled with all the drivers it currently uses, my laptop does NOT have the Realtek audio manager (and not because I uninstalled it). I also do NOT have the sound fill or speaker full option in enhancements.

I have been googling this for hours and have been unable to find any correction or fix for this, most people are at least able to test their speakers in the sound config, most people don't seem to be using Realtek and NVIDIA.

I would like any help at all, and thank you in advance.


Some screenshots incase anything I said was wrong/maybe they'd be helpful:





Some screenshots incase anything I said was wrong




Attached Thumbnails
-device-manager-audio.jpg  
Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Dec 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mariusbinx View Post
I'm decent with computers, but don't know much about sound cards, so I'll be using some screen caps.

I just bought some new speakers, the Logitech Z506s (front left/right, center, rear left/right, subwoofer). They are connected to laptop via a single cable, jacked into my single audio out.

Stuff that works:
- All the speakers produce sound, the speakers themselves convert audio singles to 5.1 (though with limited quality, not true 5.1)

That's it.
The problem is I am unable to set 5.1 Surround via Win7's sound config, or even test speakers. I know the audio is not playing true 5.1 as I've downloaded 5.1 test mp3s. I would like this to function as true 5.1 as the laptop is fairly new, and I had no reason to think the soundcard/motherboard/whatever else controls this, would be incapable.

I am using a Sony Vaio VPCF115FM laptop, which uses Realtek and Nvidia.
This is NOT an upgrade from XP or Vista to Win7, according to the device manager all audio drivers ARE up-to-date, my laptop was preinstalled with all the drivers it currently uses, my laptop does NOT have the Realtek audio manager (and not because I uninstalled it). I also do NOT have the sound fill or speaker full option in enhancements.

I have been googling this for hours and have been unable to find any correction or fix for this, most people are at least able to test their speakers in the sound config, most people don't seem to be using Realtek and NVIDIA.

I would like any help at all, and thank you in advance.


Some screenshots incase anything I said was wrong/maybe they'd be helpful:





Some screenshots incase anything I said was wrong
Screenshots helped. I noticed you have 5 copies of the Nvidia driver, and the realtek. I dont think that can possibly be right. I would uninstall all of them and reboot letting win 7 pick a driver to install. The extra driver may be using up resources (IRQ's) that cant be used by the other copies.

I am not sure if you should be using the realtek, or the nvidia

Let us know if you need help


Ken j
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2010   #3
Mariusbinx

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

[QUOTE=zigzag3143;1147609]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mariusbinx View Post

Screenshots helped. I noticed you have 5 copies of the Nvidia driver, and the realtek. I dont think that can possibly be right. I would uninstall all of them and reboot letting win 7 pick a driver to install. The extra driver may be using up resources (IRQ's) that cant be used by the other copies.

I am not sure if you should be using the realtek, or the nvidia

Let us know if you need help


Ken j
I believe the NVIDIA HD audio drivers are for HDMI connections only, and are not part of the main system... that is, I don't believe they change the functioning of internal or attached speakers/headphones.

Each of the four instances of the NVIDIA HD Audio drivers has a slightly different location when looking at its properties. Such as Location 0 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus), Location 1 (internal High....), and so on.

Note:
The 5th audio drive, Realtek HD Audio has the same location as one of the NVIDIA drivers, Location 0. I'm not sure if this matters at all...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Dec 2010   #4
Mariusbinx

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

[QUOTE=Mariusbinx;1147621]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post

I believe the NVIDIA HD audio drivers are for HDMI connections only, and are not part of the main system... that is, I don't believe they change the functioning of internal or attached speakers/headphones.

Each of the four instances of the NVIDIA HD Audio drivers has a slightly different location when looking at its properties. Such as Location 0 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus), Location 1 (internal High....), and so on.

Note:
The 5th audio drive, Realtek HD Audio has the same location as one of the NVIDIA drivers, Location 0. I'm not sure if this matters at all...
Rather than uninstall, I disabled all but the realtek driver, rebooted, and found no change in behavior, functionality, or menu options.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2010   #5
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Hate to say it but you cannot get 5.1 from a single analogue connection, the only way that is possible is through a digital (optical or coax) connection; analogue requires all 3 cables (green, orange and black) to be used. Just for reference here is the back of the subwoofer for that speaker set,

Name:  z506.PNG
Views: 31
Size:  244.0 KB

and assuming you are only using the green jack/cable as that is only the one jack on the laptop, the best you're going to get stereo from it. The only way you are going to get 5.1/surround from that laptop is to get speakers that use an optical connection, as the headphone/speaker jack can also be used as an optical connection (yes I read the manual for the laptop).


My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2010   #6
Mariusbinx

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Hate to say it but you cannot get 5.1 from a single analogue connection, the only way that is possible is through a digital (optical or coax) connection; analogue requires all 3 cables (green, orange and black) to be used. Just for reference here is the back of the subwoofer for that speaker set,

Attachment 126622

and assuming you are only using the green jack/cable as that is only the one jack on the laptop, the best you're going to get stereo from it. The only way you are going to get 5.1/surround from that laptop is to get speakers that use an optical connection, as the headphone/speaker jack can also be used as an optical connection (yes I read the manual for the laptop).

Thank you, that sucks but the speakers are still pretty darn good for the price .

I might invest in getting an external sound card/board if I ever feel I absolutely need the 5.1 audio (better quality + 5.1...win).

However, I am still with the original issue of why isn't my sound card/driver showing options other than just stereo, even if I cannot use 5.1 at the moment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2010   #7
aitkens1968

Windows 7 64 Bit
 
 

There is an easy solution to this problem I found after days of searching - Zalman ZM-RSSC USB 2.0 5.1-Channel External Sound Box - Add 5.1 Surround Sound To Any Notebook or PC! Zalman ZM-RSSC

Cheap at $6, investing in one today
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Another 5.1 Surround sound issue for Win7




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Need Surround Sound
Hi all looking in vain for Surround Sound System, that isn't a dvd/Blu-ray player or a AV Amp System, just need it to work for sound 5.1 or higher with a sub out, optical in, is there such a thing ??? cheers web
Sound & Audio
surround sound issue
Recently, windows did an update. Since then, I lost my surround sound, (realtek drivers). Every time I try to change the settings to enable it again, I lose all sound and have to uninstall then reinstall realtek. If I don't touch the settings, I get sound through the monitor, but once I try and...
Sound & Audio
how to get 5.1 surround sound through TV's USB
hi......i recently brought sony32EX650 LED TV with Sony DVD player with home theater.and i want to watch HD movies on this TV with surround sound but we know dvd player don't play the Hd quality videos.But on TV's usb we can play those Hd videos and they have 5.1 surround sound also.and i can't get...
Sound & Audio
CPU to TV/Surround Sound Receiver Issue
After spending an hour or so trying to read through the 1,000's of HDMI sound issues, I decided to just register and post my problem because every "solution" I found is something i've already tried. I have a HDMI cable going from my Desktop tower to my receiver, with HDMI output already as my...
Sound & Audio
Sigmatel IDT 5.1 Surround Sound Issue
I finally tracked down why my surround sound wasn't working. I went into the IDT control panel (not Windows 7 Sound and Hardware) and saw that the options for speakers were switched to Stereo Speakers, so I changed them to 5.1, but it instantly changed back to Stereo. Now everytime I try to switch...
Sound & Audio
5.1 surround sound help
I've recently found out that my sound card application (creative audigy) is not compatable with win7 and have yet to find any creative programs that work with my computer. Is there a way around this to still be able to play music on 5.1 surround sound? Like a generic application to play music in...
Sound & Audio

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App