Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No digital sound out of external sound system


29 Dec 2010   #1

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 
No digital sound out of external sound system

I have a GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 mobo in a PC connected to a Samsung PS63C7000 3D TV via HDMI and by Stereo Analogue, Coax and Optical to a Yamaha RX-V567 receiver/amplifier.

The mobo runs the Realtek audio system supplied with the mobo, which has 5.1 Analogue outputs, coax and Optical out.

On the receiver I match the HDMI input to one of three Audio inputs; Analogue (AV5), Optical (AV4) or Coax (AV3). Sound only comes out of the Analogue connection, which is stereo only.

When I look at the sound on the PC it appears that a signal is being sent to the receiver. (through a spectrum analyser)

I tried reinstalling the sound drivers for the mobo, with no luck. I don't have a spare sound card with Optical. I tried replacing both the optical and coax cables.

When I plug the PC into a set of PC speakers it works fine.

I saw this post .. digital sound issue, but I had already made sure only one sound option was connected at any one time.

oh, I am running Windows 7 x64 Ult.

Any ideas?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Dec 2010   #2

Windows 7, 64 bit Home SP1, Win 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

There can be issues with sound output when you are using HDMI sound. In MOST cases when you use the HDMI sound it is set as the default playback device and thus the PC's sound card (or integrated audio) output is muted. Normally you can't have both, one or the other.

If you disconnect the cable for HDMI, at the PC, and select whatever you want for default playback device in the Sound Panel, do you get the S/PDIF or whatever other sound you want?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2010   #3

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
There can be issues with sound output when you are using HDMI sound. In MOST cases when you use the HDMI sound it is set as the default playback device and thus the PC's sound card (or integrated audio) output is muted. Normally you can't have both, one or the other.

If you disconnect the cable for HDMI, at the PC, and select whatever you want for default playback device in the Sound Panel, do you get the S/PDIF or whatever other sound you want?
Errr... If I disconnect the HDMI cable, I have no video so I cannot see what I am doing on the TV to select a different sound source.

However, there are three sound devices on the PC now. I have tried setting each as the default, Then I tried it with the Analogue, Coax and Optical settings on the TV

I'll see if I have a DVI cable and spare monitor sitting around, and leave the sound connected to the receiver as is and will get back to you later today.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Dec 2010   #4

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tanyam View Post
However, there are three sound devices on the PC now. I have tried setting each as the default, Then I tried it with the Analogue, Coax and Optical settings on the TV

I'll see if I have a DVI cable and spare monitor sitting around, and leave the sound connected to the receiver as is and will get back to you later today.
I removed the HDMI cable, and connected a monitor via d-Sub cable. Then tried each of the audio options, Analogue, coax and optical. I tried each of these connections as the default, and matched the receiver to each.

Still no sound except through the analogue cable.

The video card has an SPDIF cable connected to the motherboard. I assume this is so that the audio signal can be sent over HDMI. Since the cable is v1.4, and both the receiver and TV support audio return channel, shouldn't that have worked?

There are no BIOS parameters I can see that affects this, and the nVidia Control panel opens up the same config panels as the Control Panels sound function.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2011   #5

Windows 7 64bit
 
 
Had similar issue and found a solution

I am not sure if this will alter your capability for surround, but it seemed to work for me. I am running HDMI from my PC to LG TV. I am using the optical line out from the TV and going to my Yamaha Stereo and it seems to work fine. Maybe this is how you are already connecting your system (if so , my apologies). I would agree with the other post, be sure to only have 1 audio line going to your receiver from or for a particular device (and optical out from TV should work - making sure your HDMI is set as default device in Control Panel/Sound on your computer, and the TV is set for optical out for sound).

I had problems getting an audio signal through HDMI to my TV (and thus to my stereo), but updating my audio drivers fixed the problem (my PC is only 6 months old, but still needed the update). If your your computer is not recognizing the HDMI connection in Control Panel/Sound, this might be the problem (worked for me and others). Let me know if you need the steps for the audio update (can be found through a google search as well - update audio driver Windows 7).

Good Luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2011   #6

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rodney1 View Post
I am not sure if this will alter your capability for surround, but it seemed to work for me. I am running HDMI from my PC to LG TV. I am using the optical line out from the TV and going to my Yamaha Stereo and it seems to work fine. Maybe this is how you are already connecting your system (if so , my apologies). I would agree with the other post, be sure to only have 1 audio line going to your receiver from or for a particular device (and optical out from TV should work - making sure your HDMI is set as default device in Control Panel/Sound on your computer, and the TV is set for optical out for sound).

I had problems getting an audio signal through HDMI to my TV (and thus to my stereo), but updating my audio drivers fixed the problem (my PC is only 6 months old, but still needed the update). If your your computer is not recognizing the HDMI connection in Control Panel/Sound, this might be the problem (worked for me and others). Let me know if you need the steps for the audio update (can be found through a google search as well - update audio driver Windows 7).

Good Luck
Thanks for the assistance Rodney.

My HDMI connections for all three devices (BDP, DVD, PC) all go to the receiver. A HDMI then goes to the TV. Since the TV, Receiver and HDMI all support ARC, there is no other cables. Not even a cable from TV to receiver, since TV audio is passed back to the receiver over HDMI.

I know this works, because I can hear my TV our of the sound system.

Gigabyte's curent version of the drivers is 2.52. The latest on the realtek site is 2.55. Realtek advise not to install their drivers if the mobo manufacturer supplies the drivers. I installed it anyway and it seemed to install the drivers, but I lost the configuration console.

It would be pointless running a cable from optical out on TV to receiver, because the audio signal for the PC is delivered directly to the receiver, not the TV;

So your suggestion is run the PC HDMI to the TV, then an optical out from the TV to the receiver. I would then had two audio going from TV. Optical does not support DTS HD Master, so if it takes precedence I lose the audio quality I purchased the equipment to provide. If HDMI takes precendence, then the suggestion won't work.

I also found the there were some issues with early GTX260's and SPDIF. So I've also purchased a GTX460 and will replace the existing card and update to latest drivers for that too. Have to do this anyway because I want 3D out of my PC and the GTX260 doesn't support 3D.

Thinking about it, I would only lose DTS Master and HD audio formats for TV and PC. Not for BDP. I guess I could live with that. No TV stations are broadcasting in HD Master etc anyway....

Either way, I will try it and get back to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2011   #7

Windows 7 64bit
 
 
Your system sounds complicated but cool

It would be a shame to lose sound quality. You are correct in the way I connected my system. If you try it, be certain the default device in Control Panel/Sound is set to HDMI on your PC (as you probably know), and that your TV-out is set to optical.

Since I am not a real tech type, I am not sure what drivers you are referring to. When I went into device manager for my pc - located audio driver - and allowed the computer to locate the needed update, it fixed my lack of audio signal.

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2011   #8

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rodney1 View Post
It would be a shame to lose sound quality. You are correct in the way I connected my system. If you try it, be certain the default device in Control Panel/Sound is set to HDMI on your PC (as you probably know), and that your TV-out is set to optical.

Since I am not a real tech type, I am not sure what drivers you are referring to. When I went into device manager for my pc - located audio driver - and allowed the computer to locate the needed update, it fixed my lack of audio signal.

Good luck
I've documented my set up so it's easier to understand what is going on.

The first image is how it should be. THe second is the only one that I can get working, via analogue cable, and the last is your suggestion - Run HDMI from PC to TV.

Since the HDMI cable on the TV to receiver supports ARC theoretically, I shouldn't have to run optical to the receiver.


Attached Thumbnails
No digital sound out of external sound system-he_config1.jpg   No digital sound out of external sound system-he_config2.jpg   No digital sound out of external sound system-he_config3.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2011   #9

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Running the PC via the TV did not work. Of course, the result was no sound at all, even through the speakers. There was no way that I could find to match the receiver to the HDMI port being used, given that the TV HDMI was now different to the receiver HDMI.

So, I've put it all back they way it is supposed to be. I have stereo sound, but if anyone has any other ideas (other than surround virtualization), I'd really appreceiate some help to get this working properly.

thanks
Tanya
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2011   #10

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 
Solved - No digital sound out of sound system

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tanyam View Post
Running the PC via the TV did not work. Of course, the result was no sound at all, even through the speakers. There was no way that I could find to match the receiver to the HDMI port being used, given that the TV HDMI was now different to the receiver HDMI.

So, I've put it all back they way it is supposed to be. I have stereo sound, but if anyone has any other ideas (other than surround virtualization), I'd really appreceiate some help to get this working properly.

thanks
Tanya
Two faulty optical cables in a row. What are the chances.

The Receiver doesn't need to be matched to the HDMI port, except for devices plugged into the receiver. Since the GTX 460 can't get EDID information from the receiver the PC has to be plugged into the TV. It means a few more clicks on the remotes, but at least it now works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No digital sound out of external sound system




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33