Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Need help with Front Panel HD Audio

12 Mar 2011   #1

W7 Prof 64 bit
 
 
Need help with Front Panel HD Audio

I have had this problem for months and I have never been able to solve it.

Bios is set for HD Audio. When I connect the front panel hd audio plug from my Lian-Li A77 case into the Asus Rampage II Extreme Supreme FX mini sound card the system will boot up normally. Then when I plug in the microphone all is ok and the mic is perfect. System sound is normal and just awesome.

BUT when I plug in the headset the system crashes and the computer turns off. I have tried different headsets too.

All software is up to date and kosher as far as I can tell. This is a really strange problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sorry.

I ask you where to buy, I will correspond to a window security.

Thank-you

LIAN-LI

My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Does this problem occur if you plug the headphones into the line out jack on the back of the Supreme FX card? If not then you may have a short in the line provided by Lian Li to the I/O panel jack. I'd remove the I/O panel to see if a proper connection is being made or if there is a short occuring up at the connector.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #3

W7 Prof 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
Does this problem occur if you plug the headphones into the line out jack on the back of the Supreme FX card? If not then you may have a short in the line provided by Lian Li to the I/O panel jack. I'd remove the I/O panel to see if a proper connection is being made or if there is a short occuring up at the connector.

When microphone and headphone are plugged into the back of the Surpreme FX card all is aok. This Lian-Li front panel strap is new! The HD Audio plug seems to be pinned correctly according to the color coding. I just can't verify the Supreme FX card socket color coding.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Mar 2011   #4

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

Have you got an unused plug that you can insert into this socket? What happens if you swap the assignment of the sockets in the HD manager? If the motherboard connection consists of separate cables and not a single plug, what happens if you disconnect pin #7 ?

For reference, here is the standard pin layout of the connector:

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-aud...l-layouts.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by McSeven View Post
When microphone and headphone are plugged into the back of the Surpreme FX card all is aok. This Lian-Li front panel strap is new! The HD Audio plug seems to be pinned correctly according to the color coding. I just can't verify the Supreme FX card socket color coding.
I have read of brand new Coolmaster cases with front I/O panel cables shorting which is why I mentioned it. When I recently received my Lian Li case I took out the I/O panel just to check it before building with the case. That everything works when plugged into the rear of the FX card points to the I/O panel then, or at least the plugging of it into the FX card as you've been investigating.

The thread below may be of help, especially the posts by Paul Komski.

Connecting the front panel speaker connector - The PC Guide Discussion Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2011   #6

W7 Prof 64 bit
 
 

As of now I order a couple of 10 pin connectors. I will try and rewire this puppy.

I searched the Internet until my eyes bled. I must be the only person with this problem. lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Be very careful. I know you have the pin assignments for the case cable provided by Lian Li, as do I. But I cannot find any official information on the FX card pin assignment although it should be standard audio pin assignments. but is it HD or AC97? The Lian Li cable has a connector for both. If you are plugging the HD connector into the FX card and it is HD audio, then why does it not work for the headphones provided the Pin 1 on the FX card is lined up with Pin 1 on the case cable?

In another thread the poster gives a pinout that does not match the Lian Li cable.

Again, be careful. If the headphones work when plugged into the back of the Supreme FX card it may be best to use it that way for now until you have definitive information.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2011   #8

W7 Prof 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
Be very careful. I know you have the pin assignments for the case cable provided by Lian Li, as do I. But I cannot find any official information on the FX card pin assignment although it should be standard audio pin assignments. but is it HD or AC97? The Lian Li cable has a connector for both. If you are plugging the HD connector into the FX card and it is HD audio, then why does it not work for the headphones provided the Pin 1 on the FX card is lined up with Pin 1 on the case cable?

In another thread the poster gives a pinout that does not match the Lian Li cable.

Again, be careful. If the headphones work when plugged into the back of the Supreme FX card it may be best to use it that way for now until you have definitive information.


What case and motherboard do you have?

I am with ya on the two different plugs. I tested both and motherboard bios was set correctly, but neither will work for headphone. Weird!

I have not been able to find official information on the FX card pin assignment as well.

I wonder if just the pins for the heaphone are the problem. Pins 5/6 and 9/10.
Because the mic will work with either plug!

Woops, should mention that the plug only fits one way. There are only 9 pin holes.


I found this pinout configuration at ASUS forum, but I don't trust it -

Looking for info on SupremeFX II audio card
Pinouts for the Supreme fx II 10pin HD connector on the back of the module.


1 2 3 4 5
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 the zeros are the pins the numbers are what each pin is.
6 7 8 9 10


1. Line out Left
2. No Connection
3. Line out Right
4. Micbiyes (not used in my case)
5. Mic In

Bottom Row
6. Return Left
7. BLANK NO PIN
8. Return Right
9. +5VA pos
10. -Ground
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

The Asus P6T and Lian Li PC-B70 as in my specs below.

I've seen the pinout you found at the Asus board and others as well but I would not do a re-wire by them. The idea that the headphone connector or wire is somewhere damaged is a possibility, but if you don't see any damage like a cut in the wire, something smashed, or anything melted, then I'd doubt that.

The email you received from Lian Li is something I thought of at the first, that being that Windows is shutting down because of a conflict with the audio card. But why only while using the I/O panel headphone connector, and not when using the port on the back of the card? It is a strange problem and I would keep investigating but suggest meanwhile using the port on the back of the card.

I didn't connect everything in the Lian Li I/O panel because I ran out of connectors for example for the esata wire; where headphones are concerned I have a connector on the Klipsch control module that came with the speaker system. These wires I just cable tied up and stuck away in the back side of the case.

I'd send an email to Asus requesting a schematic of the card and see if they respond.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2011   #10

W7 Prof 64 bit
 
 

Thanks everyone! I'll try Wordsworth's suggestion and try to contact Asus.

Asus support = useless !!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need help with Front Panel HD Audio





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33