I've tried installing and reinstalling and downloading and redownloading the drivers
... the BEST I've done is to have loud pops and clicks come from the speakers.
* Shut down the computer
* Installed card
* Plugged speakers into card
* Started computer
* Disabled onboard sound in the BIOS
* Booted into W7x64
* Downloaded drivers from DiamondMedia website
* Installed / rebooted
** By nothing I mean (no sound and) that when I open the sound controls in Control Panel, the green level meter that should be dancing when sound is playing does nothing. Neither "Speakers" nor the Digital/Optical out.
* Looked elsewhere for drivers
* Downloaded / installed / rebooted
* Repeat the last three steps several times
* Read a different thread on this forum recommending to run the installer as Administrator.
* Still nothing
* Sigh loudly and start writing this post.
Dunno where to go from here. According to the C-Media website, this card should be the CMI8768+ chipset. Yet I get nothing but pops and clicks.
Edit: Forgot to mention that in the control panel the level meter bounces when I make noise still. (Webcam microphone.) FWIW