Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Creative sound card not detected

21 Nov 2013   #11
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rfxcasey View Post
Its rather disturbing that Creative Labs forces you to update from your otherwise perfectly good card by simply dropping driver support. In contrast you can get just about any legacy video card to work with at least basic functionality on modern systems. However this is usually due to Windows installing some generic driver for it. Doesn't seem to work like that with Creative sound cards. I'm sure third party drivers really get creatives goat and if so I'm glad.

Paid over 200 dollars for my Live! Platinum back in around 2000. I think the last driver update from Creative was in 2004. They actually dropped support even before certain issues were resolved running under XP. I remember in particular several titles from Ubisoft including Splinter Cell had horrible static. The only fix was to start using the KXproject drivers and I have never looked back since. Still using an Audigy under Window 7 today I have a bit of satisfaction knowing that when Creative tried to screw me, I turned around and screwed them in some small part.

Used to lover Creative cards however having experience Creative's policy of forced obsolescence I don't think I will ever buy anything from them ever again, if not just out of principle. The problem is, for most people if the sound card is working they don't see a need to upgrade to 24bit resolution or 192Kbps sampling rates. Creative worked themselves into a corner by making sound cards so good that from one generation to the next the improvements are so minimal for your average user upgrading is not justified.

I don't mind spending hard earned money if there is a good reason for it, however Creative's need to boost revenue alone is not a good enough reason if you ask me.

Basically all you wind up doing to paying for a new driver and as a side effect replace perfectly good hardware for little to no reason. The beautiful part is, now you can get some really great 'Legacy' sound cards on Ebay for under $20 buck that work great in Win 7 if you know what you are doing.
Nothing to do with drivers, it is to do with the hardware being to old to work in the new motherboard. I can still use the card in another Windows 7 machine. You are looking at old technology not supported by new technology. New technology is too fast for such an old card, stuff moves on in computing. You would seem to be saying I shpuld be able to run Windows 7 on a 700 Mhz Athlon with 256Mb of ram with a 32Mb ATI video card and a 10GB hard drive???


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Nov 2013   #12
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Dunno man I've never had any issues with sound blaster sound cards. I've been using them for years without issues. But I
Guess for whatever reason creative decided that it's
Better for them to drop support for certain cards which in some
Ways is understandable because as technology and designs keep changing so do product offerings. And creative just can't keep support for old sound cards around forever so maybe it's justified that they have discontinued support for certain cards
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2013   #13
rfxcasey

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
Nothing to do with drivers, it is to do with the hardware being to old to work in the new motherboard. I can still use the card in another Windows 7 machine. You are looking at old technology not supported by new technology. New technology is too fast for such an old card, stuff moves on in computing. You would seem to be saying I shpuld be able to run Windows 7 on a 700 Mhz Athlon with 256Mb of ram with a 32Mb ATI video card and a 10GB hard drive???
Yes, it has everything to do with drivers. Motherboards which have a PCI expansion slot (which most modern motherboards do) are equipped with such to support 'legacy' devices'. The PCI standard really hasn't changed since 2002 with revision 3.0 which is backwards compatible. The last driver from Creative for my SB Live card was made in 2004 and lacks Win 7 support. That is the only issue, the lack of Win 7 support at the driver level. If you have a PCI sound blaster card and a modern motherboard with a PCI 3.0 expansion slot, an undamaged card will work just fine with the proper BIOS setting and drivers. As long as all bus/devices adheres to the standard set by the PCI Special Interest Group there should be no issues. Perhaps you are confusing PCI Express and PCI?

I'm using my SB Audigy PCI on a BIOSTAR TZ77B motherboard running an i5 3570K and 16GB of RAM by way of the KXProject drivers and have zero problems. What does that tell you? I've also tested my old SB Live! Platinum card and it works just fine even in modern games like BF3 with the proper drivers.

Your argument for new hardware being too fast for older PCI devices is rubbish. The PCI standard is the PCI standard, plain and simple. If your chipset supports PCI then it supports PCI regardless of processor speed. PCI latency may be adjusted to your liking in the BIOS.

My motherboard supports PS/2 keyboard and mouse as well and it not 'too fast' for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Nov 2013   #14
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rfxcasey View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
Nothing to do with drivers, it is to do with the hardware being to old to work in the new motherboard. I can still use the card in another Windows 7 machine. You are looking at old technology not supported by new technology. New technology is too fast for such an old card, stuff moves on in computing. You would seem to be saying I shpuld be able to run Windows 7 on a 700 Mhz Athlon with 256Mb of ram with a 32Mb ATI video card and a 10GB hard drive???
Yes, it has everything to do with drivers. Motherboards which have a PCI expansion slot (which most modern motherboards do) are equipped with such to support 'legacy' devices'. The PCI standard really hasn't changed since 2002 with revision 3.0 which is backwards compatible. The last driver from Creative for my SB Live card was made in 2004 and lacks Win 7 support. That is the only issue, the lack of Win 7 support at the driver level. If you have a PCI sound blaster card and a modern motherboard with a PCI 3.0 expansion slot, an undamaged card will work just fine with the proper BIOS setting and drivers. As long as all bus/devices adheres to the standard set by the PCI Special Interest Group there should be no issues. Perhaps you are confusing PCI Express and PCI?

I'm using my SB Audigy PCI on a BIOSTAR TZ77B motherboard running an i5 3570K and 16GB of RAM by way of the KXProject drivers and have zero problems. What does that tell you? I've also tested my old SB Live! Platinum card and it works just fine even in modern games like BF3 with the proper drivers.

Your argument for new hardware being too fast for older PCI devices is rubbish. The PCI standard is the PCI standard, plain and simple. If your chipset supports PCI then it supports PCI regardless of processor speed. PCI latency may be adjusted to your liking in the BIOS.

My motherboard supports PS/2 keyboard and mouse as well and it not 'too fast' for it.
Er EXCUSE me. I do know what I am talking about. I have seen this on several occasions with sound cards. Some of the Audigity 2 cards will not work on 64 bit systems with more than 4Gb of RAM. The isssue is not drivers, the PC locks up before you even get to the desktop to install the friggin drivers and NO I am not mixing up PCI e with PCI.
The rest of your response in moot as the PC as I said freezes and no amount of fiddling in the bios makes any difference, the card works fine in its new home in an older Asus Motherboard running Windows 7 64 bit. Perhaps you should go back and read the whole thread. As I have said this already, for crying out loud stop hacking around with unofficial drivers and spend some cash on a new modern soundcard. You will be surprised at how much better they are.I have 2 or 3 Soundblaster Live sound blasters in my junk pile and a spare X Fi Gamer in the drawer for my next build from parts
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2013   #15
rfxcasey

Windows 7
 
 

Doesn't mean a thing, there will always be the potential for compatibility issues between certain hardware and specific manufacturers motherboard which is the case now as it ever was. The Audigy 2 had compatibility issues with motherboards from its own era which mutes your point. The fact of the matter is I am on Win 7 64bit with 16GB of RAM and have no issues with my old creative hardware. The point of my original post was to possibly help someone who would like to still use there old creative hardware on new machinery. It is absolutely possible and I can attest to that. I don't know what your issue was that you couldn't get a similar setup working but its more likely a failure, ah hem... sorry I will try to remain civil, oversight on your part or with the mobo's bios. There are many variables that you are taking for granted. To just say that new machines are too fast for old hardware because you had a problem you could not fix with a particular setup is pretty much just ignorant.

Apart from that you can belay your "hack" insult whereas if YOU go back and read my post, the official creative drivers had unresolved issues back in 2004 that were only solved by using 3rd party drivers at the time. I've used those "hack" drivers ever since with no issues as creatives drivers have always seemed to have problem with certain programs. The KXproject drivers were written from scratch so even referring to them as "hacked" is a misstatement showing a further tenancy towards ignorance. I, for my part, do what works and try not to let ignorant or narrow thinking cloud my judgement. I would suggest you take that as a word of advice.

That's my peace spoken, I have nothing more to say on the matter. Take it as you will.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2013   #16
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rfxcasey View Post
Doesn't mean a thing, there will always be the potential for compatibility issues between certain hardware and specific manufacturers motherboard which is the case now as it ever was. The Audigy 2 had compatibility issues with motherboards from its own era which mutes your point. The fact of the matter is I am on Win 7 64bit with 16GB of RAM and have no issues with my old creative hardware. The point of my original post was to possibly help someone who would like to still use there old creative hardware on new machinery. It is absolutely possible and I can attest to that. I don't know what your issue was that you couldn't get a similar setup working but its more likely a failure, ah hem... sorry I will try to remain civil, oversight on your part or with the mobo's bios. There are many variables that you are taking for granted. To just say that new machines are too fast for old hardware because you had a problem you could not fix with a particular setup is pretty much just ignorant.

Apart from that you can belay your "hack" insult whereas if YOU go back and read my post, the official creative drivers had unresolved issues back in 2004 that were only solved by using 3rd party drivers at the time. I've used those "hack" drivers ever since with no issues as creatives drivers have always seemed to have problem with certain programs. The KXproject drivers were written from scratch so even referring to them as "hacked" is a misstatement showing a further tenancy towards ignorance. I, for my part, do what works and try not to let ignorant or narrow thinking cloud my judgement. I would suggest you take that as a word of advice.

That's my peace spoken, I have nothing more to say on the matter. Take it as you will.
Like I said the soundcard is working in another motherboard a couple of years old just fine on Windows 7 64 bit with a six core Phenom II and 16GB ram but it would not work in the one PCI slot in my new motherboard. You can do as you like and I am glad it works for you but it does not work for me. I have seen it several times myself. If you are happy running an ancient sound card fine, but don't tell me an electronics engineer what is right and wrong. As far as I am concerned if the drivers are not written by the OEM or Microsoft or Linux they are hacked.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Creative sound card not detected




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Low volume with new sound card(Creative Sound Blast 5.1 VX)
Hello! I got a new sound card today. Installed it, installed the drivers from the CD, plugged in the headphones and it works. But the sound levels are way to low. I raised the volume in all the places I could find, but it's still a bit low. Here's the card: Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 VX...
Sound & Audio
Creative Sound card problems
ok here goes I have read about 62 pages of threads looking for answers and tried the pinned post here about Creative sound cards THIS is going to be a long one ;) I had this computer built for me and have basically had problems updating the drivers,program from day 1 Only change I made to this...
Sound & Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 24bit Sound Card
I installed windows 7 a little while ago but i cant seem to get a driver that will recognize my sound card. the computer doesnt think its installed correctly but when i was using Xp it was just fine. ive tried another PCI slot but no such luck. all of the drivers i have tried tell me that they dont...
Drivers
Creative Sound card
I've got a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio. I have 2/2.1 speakers. What jack in the back of the card should I be in? When I run creative diagnostics I hear the left and right speaker but not my center speaker. With the 2/2.1 speakers do you stay in the green jack?
Sound & Audio
Upgraded to W7. No sound. Creative Xfi card. Help!
I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. My sound card is a Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WMD). I am not sure if that is the actual model name. That is the name that the device manager gives me. RE-installing drivers from Creative doesn't help. Tried the Daniel_K drivers and...
Sound & Audio
Problems with my Creative Sound Card.
Hi all, I've been having problems with my sound card drivers ever since I upgraded to Windows 7 64 from Windows Vista 32. I must admit I messed up by not writing down what specific sound card is in this laptop (Dell Inspiron 1520) and I have not been able to find any drivers from Dell.com. I...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:04.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App