Ok guys, apologies for butting in on another thread, but I thought it best to mention here itself that I am faced with a similar problem, and so are many others all over the net as well as on this forum. The threads facing similar problem to this are linked below... Realtek HD Audio not recognizing speakers. ASUS Rampage Extreme IV - Onboard Sound not working. Asus Rampage IV Extreme Realtek ALC898 Stopped working
And this is just the recent few threads, I have a lot of links from google as well. In all the places, to summarise in brief, the speaker option is not working in various forms (rear panel issue or front panel issue etc). My own problem in brief is this -
1. Earlier audio was working on rear panel (lime plug) through normal speakers.
2. Then I connected a Tv to my motherboard HDMI output and was using it for both video and audio for last 2 months
3. I shifted back to monitor and speaker setup this week (DVI video and rear panel lime for audio), but audio has since not been working - rear panel shows up as darked out in the realtek HD audio manager, while front panel is brightly lit up (no screenshots here in office but this is the one with 6 rear panel plugs and 2 front panel plugs at the bottom of any generic realtek HD audio manager screen)
4. I cant get audio out of either front or rear panel, but going back to HDMI works all fine.
5. Yes, I have tried most of the suggestions in this thread and others which includes trying different drivers and checking BIOS settings, the only things that I havent tried is changing hardware (removing Gfx card, I have a new Gigabyte 7950) or reionstalling windows (I am using Windows 7 ultimate , 64 bit)
6. To the best of my knowledge, no drivers must have been updated (its a completely new system, only 3 months old), but windows automatic update is active
7. In the "playback devices" option, the speakers is shown as "not plugged in", but I would like to mention that separating rear panel and front panel output streams (this is achieved through the options in realtek HD audio manager) creates both a speaker and a headphone device in the playback devices, and the headphone device (linked to the front panel) is shown as plugged in - no audio still though
Apologies again for the long info dump, but just wanted to say all that I have observed, which is mostly in line with computernewbie here... and yes, in all the search I have done over the net (which cant be exhaustive ofcourse, but I believe is substantial), there has been no solution posted for this. The thread either goes dead or the OP gets a sound card...
Is it possible to get a professional response on this seeing as to the history of this problem ?